Author Topic: Old Fashioned Footballer = Jay Schulz  (Read 5016 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Old Fashioned Footballer = Jay Schulz
« on: May 09, 2004, 09:40:36 PM »
Did anyone else hear the comment about Jay Schulz being an "old fashioned footballer" made by James Brayshaw?

I didn't think much of it at the time but when he hit the Swans bloke with that good old fashioned hip and shoulder in the 3rd I thought to myself that it might not be such a bad thing.

Also, it got me thinking about who Jay reminds me of - the way he plays.

Don't laugh but the person I thought of was Roger Merrett. Why?

I think Jay may take a bit more time to develop than say a Jon Brown from the Lions. How many games did Merrett play in the Magoos before he established himself in the seniors

He does a lot of little things that don't equal a stat but are important. The shepherds, the blocks etc.

He can take a grab.

And if can continue use his body for applying strong and legal hip and shoulders well..... I'll take it.

I am not saying he is going to be the next Merrett but if continues to develop some of those traits then he will a valuable player

Thoughts...
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Old Fashioned Footballer = Jay Schulz
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 01:58:50 AM »
Did anyone else hear the comment about Jay Schulz being an "old fashioned footballer" made by James Brayshaw?

I did WP. Brayshaw commented on Jay wearing long sleeves and the three-day growth.

I remember Merrett in his prime in the mid 80's with the bombers and later on when he did well as Bears' captain in Brisbane but I was too young to know how he was when he was the same age as Jay. I agree WP that there are similarities between the two in the way the play. Jay is still young and progressing well (given taller blokes take longer to develop). So hopefully Jay can get some bulk onto him. From memory Merrett was a bloody strong bloke and had good strong hands for marking.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd