Author Topic: Echuca to host Tigers  (Read 7893 times)

richmondrules

Echuca to host Tigers
« on: November 29, 2007, 07:14:37 AM »
The Advertiser (Bendigo)

http://bendigo.yourguide.com.au/news/sport/general/echuca-to-host-tigers/1094874.html

RICHMOND is expected to head to Echuca in February next year for its annual AFL community camp.

The AFL is yet to officially announce the destinations of the 16 clubs for the community camps, but The Advertiser understands the Tigers are slated for Echuca.

February 5 to 7 is earmarked as the date of the three-day camp, which have been held since 2003.

For Richmond player Daniel Connors, the community camp will give him

the opportunity to return to his home town.

Connors, who was drafted to Richmond with selection 58 at last year's national draft, is originally from Echuca.

"It's a chance to get back to Echuca, which is good," Connors said yesterday.

"I don't get the chance to get back there too often, it's really only Christmas and spare weekends, so to be able to spend a few days up

there will be good."

Connors returned to Echuca last weekend following the drafting of his younger brother Eljay to St Kilda.

The selection of 17-year-old Eljay with pick 70 by the Saints was one of the surprises of the draft after the lightly-built wingman played just three games for the Bendigo Pioneers this year because of two collapsed lungs.

"I had heard a couple of clubs were interested in him because he had played a couple of good games before he got injured," Connors said.

"I knew he was always going to be on the radar, but I was surprised that he got picked up this year."

Connors is presently in his second pre-season training campaign with the Tigers, although he has been forced off the track since last Wednesday after suffering a foot hot spot, meaning he needs to wear a moon boot.

"I'll have another week in the boot, but hopefully, I will be back into training sooner rather than later," the 19-year-old said.

Connors was pleased with his debut season with the Tigers this year, breaking into the side for the round 17 game against the Sydney Swans and finishing the year with four AFL games.

Among his four AFL games was against premier Geelong at Skilled Stadium in round 18 when he amassed 25 possessions and was named in the best players.

"It was good to get my first game out of the way and play a couple more to see what it's all about," said Connors, who also played in Coburg's losing VFL grand final side to Geelong.

"Hopefully, next year I can be more consistent and try to play some more games."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 12:45:54 AM by one-eyed »

richmondrules

Re: Echuca to host Tigers - The Advertiser (Bendigo)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 07:15:40 AM »
I was wondering about the community camps. Hadn't heard much.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers off to Echuca - Community Camp Feb 5-7
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »
Edit and merged: Sorry RROFO I didn't see you had already posted the article  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 09:05:23 PM by one-eyed »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers off to Echuca - Community Camp Feb 5-7
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 08:46:07 PM »
Nice spot is Echuca  :thumbsup

Connors is presently in his second pre-season training campaign with the Tigers, although he has been forced off the track since last Wednesday after suffering a foot hot spot, meaning he needs to wear a moon boot.

"I'll have another week in the boot, but hopefully, I will be back into training sooner rather than later," the 19-year-old said.
I hope Connors has better luck than Browny and JON and the "hot-spot" doesn't become a "1-week" injury that reoccurs and he ends up lasting months on the sidelines  :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

richmondrules

Re: Tigers off to Echuca - Community Camp Feb 5-7
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 06:29:06 AM »
Edit and merged: Sorry RROFO I didn't see you had already posted the article  :thumbsup

:) Watch out, I'm quick! :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 03:25:54 AM »
Confimed on the RFC site

2008 Telstra AFL Community Camp locations
Richmond
Echuca from Feb 5- 7

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=54031

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 05:21:00 AM »
We were told yesterday that a suitable ground in Echuca still hasn't been found to play on as yet. Let's hope we don't end up with injuries thanks to the ground being too hard  :-\.

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 09:23:15 AM »
Echuca just got 4 inches of rain - should soften the ground a bit!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 09:24:28 AM »
We were told yesterday that a suitable ground in Echuca still hasn't been found to play on as yet. Let's hope we don't end up with injuries thanks to the ground being too hard  :-\.

I see where Kyabram had about 4" of rain the other night.  Only an hour down the road for the boys - wouldn't think ground hardness would be a problem there at the moment!  ::)

I agree MT - lovely spot.  Spent many, many weekends in my younger days camping and fishing at Torrumbarry.  Knock off work early on a Friday, travel and set up, line and stomach wet by mid arvo.  Memories.   :cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 10:18:59 PM »
Good to hear about the rain. Lids and Petts can visit home in Kyabram.

Echuca football club's home ground is Victoria Park Oval, Crofton Street, Echuca

Map of Echuca-Moama
http://www.echucamoama.com/assets/2008-echuca-moama-map.pdf

The ground looks in top nick in the heading image on the club's website: http://echuca.gvfl.com.au/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 07:09:01 PM »
Seems even as a AFL club we've been kicked off Echuca's main oval (thanks to Ruprect from Y&B)

Quote from: Ruprect
They are actually training in Moama on the 2nd oval......there is a lot of cricket vs football politics going on and they aren't allowed on the main oval. I guess they are only an AFL CLUB the local cricket scene is way more important.

http://www.yellowandblack.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=139103&postcount=4

richmondrules

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 07:26:49 AM »
Seems even as a AFL club we've been kicked off Echuca's main oval (thanks to Ruprect from Y&B)

Quote from: Ruprect
They are actually training in Moama on the 2nd oval......there is a lot of cricket vs football politics going on and they aren't allowed on the main oval. I guess they are only an AFL CLUB the local cricket scene is way more important.

http://www.yellowandblack.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=139103&postcount=4

Finishing 16th is a bitch. lol. As Curly from the 3 stooges would say, " No respect, NO Respect!!"

Ox

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 08:51:31 AM »
yawnfest

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Moama A-okay (Riverine Herald)
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 12:48:29 AM »
Moama A-okay

Stamp of approval: Richmond coach Terry Wallace inspects Moama’s Jack Eddy Oval. Photo: LAURA GRAHAM 

By Tim Doutre
January 25 2008
Riverine Herald

Richmond Tigers coach Terry Wallace was in town yesterday morning to inspect Moama's Jack Eddy Oval in preparation for his team's coming practice match.
The charismatic coach made a whirlwind visit to the area and, not leaving anything to chance for the pre-season practice match, the turf passed his test.

"I came up to make sure the ground surface was up to scratch," Wallace said.

"There is good grass cover, it's great. It is a fraction hard at the moment, but the curators are going to make sure they put plenty of water on it in the coming weeks.

"Players are fairly expensive commodities these days. We lost Troy Simmonds and Nathan Brown early last year and it just impacts your whole season."

The Tigers have been in full pre-season training but are yet to play a full-scale practice match.

"We have been doing practice sessions building up to our match play," Wallace said.

"In the past, we have had two practice matches in the lead-up (to the pre-season competition), but this time we are only having one because of the early start."

The match will be the Tigers' only hit-out before their NAB Cup match against St Kilda on February 15 and spectators can expect a solid display of competitive football.

Wallace said as it was his side's only hit-out, players would be fighting for positions.

"Obviously your key premium players will play regardless, but it will be nice and competitive," he said.

Wallace confirmed the likes of Matthew Richardson, Nathan Brown and Brett Deledio would take part.

Around eight district players will get the rare opportunity to take part in the practice match.

"We will be playing some locals in the game. It gives them the opportunity to have a look at what it takes to play at AFL level and adds interest," Wallace said.

"The main thing is to get in and put on a display for the locals and show where the club's heading and hopefully get through unscathed.

"The other aspect is that it will be a competitive game. We will pick two even sides. For example, we will have our best backline on our best forward line."

Echuca boy turned Tiger Daniel Connors will be part of the crew making the trip north.

The 19-year-old, who played four home-and-away games last season, had experienced some injury troubles in recent months, Wallace said.

"He had a stress sort of problem in his foot over the Christmas period, so he is a bit behind," he said.

"He will certainly be up here and certainly training. Whether or not he is ready for match play will depend on how he pulls up."

The Tigers squad and entourage of trainers and support staff will arrive in Echuca on Tuesday, February 5, as part of their three-day Echuca camp, which will include community appearances, training clinics, forums and functions as well as the practice match.

The practice match will be held at Jack Eddy Oval on Thursday, February 7, at 4pm.

http://www.rivheraldechuca.net/story.asp?TakeNo=200801259029171

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Moama A-okay (Riverine Herald)
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 10:38:14 AM »
Moama A-okay

Plough look like he spent all the night before on the turps! And where has his fabled hair gone?  Is this what coaching Richmond does to the human body?   :o