Author Topic: Cogs could be back in 2 weeks  (Read 3677 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Cogs could be back in 2 weeks
« on: May 13, 2004, 11:15:07 PM »
Frawley sets Coughlan timeline
5:17:29 PM Thu 13 May, 2004
Samantha Lane
Sportal

Richmond is hopeful that injured 2003 club champion Mark Coughlan will play again in two weeks.

Coughlan, 22, played the opening five matches of this season, but was given an indefinite recovery period after battling groin trouble.

Usually a prolific ball winner, Coughlan gathered just 12 possessions in his last match, against Adelaide in round five. He appeared severely restricted by an injury before the club decided to rest him.

“He’s over it now. When the doctors say he’s ready to go we’ll play him,” Tigers coach Danny Frawley said after a closed training session at Punt Road on Thursday.

“Whether that’s in the VFL or not, we’ll have a look. But he’s getting a hell of a lot of work under his belt at the minute, which is good.”

Frawley was reluctant to set a definite return date for his young star, but said he was training without discomfort.

“He’s probably about two weeks away, he’s training really well. He’s had no soreness over the last two weeks, so that’s been really positive.”

“There’s no definite date on it, but all the indicators would suggest it’s sooner rather than later,” he said.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=148765
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Cogs could be back in 2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 11:29:03 PM »
I hope we're more cautious this time. Before Cogs was rested we were told the doctors said he was ok to play and the condition would improve the more games he'd play  ::). He's too vital to our future just to risk him for a week or so.

Anyway good to hear Cogs isn't feeling any soreness or discomfort anymore  :)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 11:36:46 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if part of the problem in the past was the fact the guy desperately wanted to play and may have said "I'm OK" when he wasn't.

This time round I reckon they need to take the decision completely out of his hands and play him when he is 100% right, not 90, 95 or 99% fit but 100%.

And I don't think coming back through the twos is a bad thing either. It certainly would guarantee massive crowds at Coburg's games.  ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 01:16:23 AM »
Coughlan to be back in two
By Mark Fuller
realfooty.theage.com.au
May 14, 2004

Richmond midfielder Mark Coughlan has won his battle with a nagging groin injury and coach Danny Frawley expects him to be out of football for only another two weeks.

The Tigers' 2003 best-and-fairest winner has not played since round five after the instability in his pubic joint, which greatly curtailed his effectiveness since it flared in the pre-season, forcing him to seek rest and rehabilitation.

Although Frawley would not commit a specific match for Coughlan's return, it is expected he will play against West Coast at Subiaco Oval in round 10.

Frawley said the groin injury was no longer troubling his gun midfielder. "He's training really well; he's got no soreness over the last two weeks, so that's been really positive," he said.

"He's over it now. When the doctors say he's ready to go, we'll play him. Whether that's in the VFL or not, we'll have a look, but he's getting a hell of a lot of work under his belt at the minute, which is good."

Coughlan's return would add further impetus to a Richmond side that Frawley believes was lifted "a hell of a lot" by the reappearance last weekend of key talls Matthew Richardson and Greg Stafford. "You've got two guys over six-foot-six coming back into your team; it's a sure way to play a lot straighter and a lot quicker," he said.

Frawley said the Tigers' 13-point upset of Sydney last Sunday, the club's first win from its past 13 interstate appearances, had his players walking a little taller again after their breakthrough win over Hawthorn a week earlier.

"They've gained a little bit of respect back, but in saying that, if you're not going to listen to the criticism, why listen to the praise," he said. "You've just got to keep your head down and just keep working."

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/05/13/1084289817231.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 01:26:07 AM »
  it is expected he (Ed. Cogs) will play against West Coast at Subiaco Oval in round 10.

I know his family is over in WA but I wouldn't reckon being stuck in a plane for 3 hours would be such a good idea for a bloke coming straight back from injury.

Ox

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 09:53:48 AM »
Biglands,
If u r reading this site then join up son.
We would love your exclusive information.
cheers,
oxman

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 02:47:44 PM »
I just hope we are not rushing him back for the sake of the trip to Perth.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 09:01:23 AM »
Give him an extra week or 2 off - just to be sure.  We don't want another repeat of Cambo's on again/off again injury scenario.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 03:06:51 PM »
21 May, 2004
Matt Burgan
Sportal

Speaking before training at Punt Rd on Friday…

Frawley said 2003 Jack Dyer Medallist Mark Coughlan was set to resume inside a month.

“I said (he would be out for another) four weeks last week and it somehow got misconstrued to two (weeks). (He’ll miss) three (weeks and) two at best,” Frawley said.

“He’s been doing a hell of a lot of work (and) we just want to make sure we’ve got him 100 per cent and that’s good to know that we’ve got a quality player going to come into our team for the second half of the year.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=150375
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.