Author Topic: Class of the century  (Read 4562 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Class of the century
« on: May 12, 2008, 04:43:34 PM »
CLASS OF THE CENTURY

VIC THORP
A dashing full-back, who was regarded as Richmond's first champion in league football. Renowned for his marking ability, his magnificent, long drop kicks and his attacking style o(play from the last line of defence. Twice won the competition's "Champion of the Colony Award".

BILL MORRIS
Described by Jack Dyer as "the greatest ruckman I have seen... a football artist". He possessed enormous stamina, was a strong mark, a long kick, and his palming of the ball was exemplary. Won the Brownlow Medal in 1948.

IAN STEWART
Had a massive impact at Richmond in just a relatively short career with the Club. Won the Brownlow in his debut season with the Tigers in 1971. Was a superb kick with either foot, had excellent vision, balance, evasive skills and amazing courage. One of the most complete, all-round players in league football history.

KEVIN BARTLETT
An outstanding rover, who played such a huge part in shaping the Club's success during its greatest era with his pace, anticipation, tireless stamina, and incredible ball-getting ability. In the twilight of his long, illustrious league career, he transformed himself into a match-winning half-forward.

DICK CLAY
Arrived at Richmond from country club Kyabram as a guernsey forward, but initially made a name for himself as a brilliant wingman due to his explosive pace, poise and long kicking. Later in his career, those same attributes enabled him to establish himself as one of the best full-backs in the competition.

ROYCE HART
Thrilled Tiger fans for a decade with his match-winning exploits at centre half-forward. His dominance up forward was a major factor in the Club's run of four premierships from 1967-74. He was an extraordinary mark, a deadeye shot for goal, very courageous and, when the ban' hit the ground, he swooped on it like a rover.

PAUL SPROULE
Was something of an unsung hero in Richmond's back-to-back premiership triumphs of 1973-74. But his teammates from those halcyon Tiger days rated him extremely highly. He had a clever football brain, silky skills, was a "ball magnet" and could run hard all day.   

GEOFF RAINES
Oozed class in everything he did out on the field. In the powerful Richmond sides of the late 1970s-early 80s, he cut a swathe through opposition sides with his explosive pace, ball-getting ability, great balance marking expertise and booming kicks into the Tigers' forward line.

DALE WEIGHTMAN
Small of stature, but big of heart and talent. One of the finest rovers in Richmond's - and. the AFL’s - history. Had tremendous vision, pace, stamina, aggression and creative skills. Earned glowing reputation as a brilliant exponent of handball and repeatedly set teammates up with his quick, slick hands.

MAURICE RIOLI
Won the Norm Smith Medal for being best a field in the 1982 Grand Final, which was in his debut season with the Tigers after crossing over from WA club South Fremantle. Possessed magical, all- round football skills. Was incredibly elusive, a fantastic tackler, and had beautiful disposal – seldom, if ever, missing his target.   

richmondrules

Re: Class of the century
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:48:02 PM »
Voted Royce cause he was my hero when I was growing up. When I was a kid he could do no wrong in my eyes.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
Re: Class of the century
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 01:11:54 AM »
Royce for just being Royce. 

What a career.  :clapping