1902 (VFA) - 1905 (VFA) - 1920 - 1921 - 1932 - 1943 - 1967 - 1969 - 1973 - 1974 - 1980





Monday, 15th October 1934, The Sun News-Pictorial

notes by Forward.

Overwhelming superiority in all departments enabled Richmond to win the Victorian Football League's Centenary premiership from a badly-rattled South Melbourne side on Saturday, the final scores to the one-sided encounter at the M.C.G. being 19.14 to 12.17. At one stage in the opening quarter, when Richmond led 4.3 to 1.1, Southern supporters were not perturbed, and thunderous cheering broke out when South staged a dazzling burst and evened the scores, the totals at the change being 4.4 to 4.3. From that time onwards, however, the Richmond men had matters all their own way. More accomplished, rugged and mobile than the Southerners, they mixed matters with a will, and gradually drew South into the trap specially prepared by the Richmond tacticians before the game. Instead of playing their straight ahead, pacy game, South attempted to outbump their opponents, and this suited the Richmond plans to perfection.

Richmond quickly seized the advantage, and as the second quarter proceeded went about their task of completely disorganising the system of their fleet-footed opponents. Extreme vigor was introduced into the heavy-weight exchanges and strategic play gave Richmond a half-time lead of 10.8 to 6.5. Richmond enthusiasm was at high pitch throughout the amazing third quarter, when the Richmond men, playing confidently and brilliantly, strode through the Southern defences with astonishing ease and piled on six goals three behinds. South displayed a fatal lack of goal shooting sense throughout the term, ten shots bringing six singles without a goal. Several easy chances were mulled, and goals were badly missed from favourable positions, the wonderful work of the Richmond defenders being responsible for a deal of the Southern inaccuracy. South Melbourne's disastrous lapse and Richmond's overwhelming effort ended at three-quarter time with the scores 16.11 to 6.11.

To say that Southern supporters were dumbfounded is stating the fact lightly. The Southern captain seemed equally bewildered, and failed to adopt drastic measures to meet the desparate situation. Wholesale place changes were justified but there were no moves. The Southerners certainly got into their stride in the last term when they kicked as many goals as in the first three quarters, but the fighting effort was staged an hour too late. Towards the end ultra-vigorous work led to loss of temper, and vicious blows were swung during two hectic fisticuff battles, but the umpires separated the over-heated combatants and play proceeded. Thousands of bitterly disappointed Southern supporters left the ground long before the game ended, and Richmond, to the delight of their huge following, raced on to secure the coveted Centenary premiership pennant, the final bell finding Richmond well ahead by 128 points to 89. The Richmond men thoroughly deserved the premiership, and are to be congratulated on their magnificent effort.

An Even First Quarter

It was transparently clear from the opening minutes of the encounter that the wily, high-marking Titus, Richmond's experienced forward, would outmark, outwit and out-manoeuvre Austin, South's diminutive goalkeeper, and that the absense of Hillis, the Southerners' regular goal custodian, would be a serious blowto Southern prospects. It was also apparent that Sheahan, Richmond's vigorous goalkeeper, would outmatch Pratt, South's mercurial forward. South's tragic breakdown at both ends of the ground was the feature of the contest, but the obvious moves in position were never made. Sheahan, O'Neill, McCormack, Bolger, Baggott and G. Strang had command from the outset, and the Richmond forwards, moving briskly and working cleverly, soon had the Southern defenders off their normal balance.

Young Dyer, Richmond's powerful ruck player, was in his element in the rough work. Zachech, from a free kick a long way out, landed a wonderful goal, singles followed, and Harris then whipped out of a crush to boot the second goal. Murdoch fired another, and matters were swinging against South till Nash secured a free, and a prodigious kick just reached the goal, Pratt preventing Sheahan from touching the ball as it fell through. Diggins was the Southerners most serviceable player at that stage, with Mackay and Mclaughlin doing well in defence. Using sensible spoiling tactics, Richmond held South ay bay till tricky Harris, racing at top speed, fired to the goal base, where P. Bentley, Richmond's powerful captain, neatly applied the boot to the bouncing ball and goaled, the scores then being 4.3 to 1.1. Then came South's only purple patch of the afternoon's play. Fast, systematic football in their naturey style took them from end to end, and in three perfectly executed movements, Brain, O'Meara and Nash securing brilliant goals. Two other tries missed the goal by inches, and the quarter ended with the score 4.4 to 4.3.

The Southern Toboggan Begins

Five minutes of desparate striving following resumption of play brought no score. The heavy bumping exchanges became more severe with Richmond luring the Southerners into the neatly laid trap. Martin, with a gem of a half-distance pass, shot the ball at lightening speed to Titus, who marked brilliantly, and goaled. Nash scored a single for South, and then Pratt, following a clever mark, scored his first of two goals of the engagement. This levelled the scores, but from that stage onwards Richmond applied the acid test, and the Southerners, found wanting, began to flounder. Richmond, with chracteristic verve, grim determination, fierce courageousness and superb marking, kicking and position play, swung the Southerners completely out of their stride. O'Halloran, daring with those amazing leaps of his, was dragging down spectacular marks - he secured fourteen during the day - and from one of his kicks Titus marked neatly, and goaled. Geddes, as cool, clever and impertubable as ever, started match-winning play on the wing, and he had the ball on to Martin, and the latter had it through the goal before the Southern defenders began to move.

Harris, one of the finds of the season, was in wonderful form, and goaled with the best kick of the match till then. Baxter, winning at centre half-forward - another of the numerous spots where the Southerners suffered a breakdown for most of the day - put play on, and Murdoch and Titus both brought off remarkably clever marks, and the forward following another victory against his opponent goaled with effortless ease. Richmond were then 26 points ahead, and were well on the road to the premiership. Murdoch, owing to a mistake by the umpire, was deprived of a certain goal when he was running up to his mark to kick, but it mattered little, for Richmond were back on the target for a goal a few minutes later. O'Halloran having brought off another of his sky-scraping marks, and Titus, brilliant ground pace and clever elusiveness, having bewildered two defenders. At half time the writing was on the wall, the scores being Richmond 10.8 to 6.5.

Richmond's Staggering Third Term

From the Richmond point of view the game took on its most exhilarating phase in the thired quarter, when South Melbourne stood leaden-footed, and as though thunder struck, while Richmond, playing with electrifying dash and system, flashed the ball from man to man with bewildering ease. Poor South broke down badly, and in the crisis no one thought of throwing the right men into the right positions. O'Halloran, unbeatable in the air, goaled from the angle, and increased the lead to 34 points, Baxter stretched it to 40 points, Martin gave it a further bump up to 46 points, and when O'Halloran sent it soaring to 52 points, some spectator on the concrete stand thought it was about time the Richmond run was ended, and refused to return the ball. Another was secured, but the Southern rout continued, the Southerners adding to the discomfort of their supporters by missing goal after goal. Titus extended the Richmond lead to 56 points, and Southern supporters groaned with dismay. Bolger's dazzling breakaway and long dash was one of the features of the term. Just at the finish Harris emulated the Bolger effort, and finished off a marvellous 60-year dash with a great goal. At the last change Richmond led 16.11 to 6.11, and the game was over.

Fighting Mars Game

Throughout the last term South did all the attacking, but they were never within striking distance of the Richmond score. The theft of balls continued, and three fired into the concrete stand disappeared. Luckily the League had any amount of balls on hand and as each vanished another was requisitioned. Pratt scored his 150th goal of the season in the concluding minutes of play, jeers from Richmond supporters greeting the forward's second goal of the afternoon. Soon afterwards a few players ran amok, and a few terrific punches were aimed, and these connected. Play was halted for a minute on two occasions, but the fisticuffs display was over in a few seconds, and play proceeded. Richmond rapped on a couple of additional goals and the curtain fell on the football season soon afterwards, old Lysander, the famous bell at the Melbourne ground, proclaiming yet another premiership for Richmond, the final scores being:-

Richmond .. .. .. .. .. 19.14 (128 points)
South Melbourne .. 12.17 ( 89 points)



Attendance: 65,335.

Receipts: 3,495 pounds.

1934 Richmond Premiership Side

       B:  M. Bolger           M. Sheahan            K. O'Neill
       HB: J. Baggott          G. Strang             B. McCormack
       C:  S. Judkins          E. Zschech            A. Geddes
       HF: T. O'Halloran       D. Baxter             J. Murdoch 
       F:  R. Harris           J. Titus              B. Foster 
       R:  P. Bentley          J. Dyer               R. Martin 
       I:  H. Edwards

Best Players

Richmond's display of combined team work was one of the finest ever given, the whole of the eighteen players giving football of high water mark. Outstanding players for the winners were Geddes, who did a deal of damage on the wing; Dyer, who was in the thick of everything in the ruck; Titus, who had a field day forward; young Harris, who as a rover and forward kicked the great total of 51 goals this season; Sheahan, woh is definitely that master of Pratt; O'Halloran, whose aerial work swung the game against South in the early stages; Bentley, who captained the side splendidly; McCormack, O'Neill, Bolger, G. Strang and Baggott. Baxter played well at centre half-forward; Martin gave his usual reliable game, and all the others also starred at various periods.

Best players for South Melbourne were Diggins, Nash, Brain and Matthews. Most of the others faded badly after the opening quarter.

Quarter Scores

Richmond 4.4 10.8 16.11 19.14-128
South Melbourne 4.3 6.5 6.11 12.17-89

Scorers of Goals and Behinds

Richmond - Titus, 6.5; Harris, 3.1; O'Halloran, 3.1; Bentley, 2.1; Martin, 2.0; Baxter, 1.1; Murdoch, 1.0; Zachech, 1.0; Dyer, 0.2; Foster, 0.1; forced, 0.2.

South Melbourne - Nash, 6.6; Pratt, 2.4; Brain, 1.3; Bertram, 1.1; O'Meara, 1.0; Diggins, 1.0; Clarke, 0.1; Reville, 0.1; forced, 0.1.

The scores were obtained in the following manner:-

  Richmond  Sth. Melb.
Free kicks1.11.3

Marks taken

Richmond  2031281594
Sth. Melb  2012232883

Richmond: O'Halloran and Titus 14 each; Dyer 9; Zachech 8; Strang 7; Baxter, Harris and Martin 5 each; Bentley, Foster, Geddes and McCormack 4 each; O'Neill 3; Baggott, Judkins, Murdoch and Sheahan 2 each.

South Melbourne: Nash 13; Diggins 10; Thomas 9; Bissett 7; Matthews and Brain 6 each; Bertram 5; McKay and Pratt 4 each; Clarke, Kelleher, McKenzie and Richards 3 rach; McLaughlin and Reville 2 each; Austin, Faul, O'Meara 1 each.

Free Kicks awarded

Throughout the game 90 free kicks were awarded. South Melbourne getting no fewer than 63, including 10 for out of bounds, and Richmond only 27, including 6 for out of bounds. The record for each quarter was:-

Richmond  787527
Sth. Melb  1916121663

Richmond: Dyer and Geddes 4 each; Bentley 3; Bolger, Harris, Murdoch, McCormack, Sheahan and Zachech 2 each; Baggot, Baxter, Foster and O'Neill 1 each.

South Melbourne: Nash and Diggins 7 each; Clarke and McKenzie 6 each; Matthews 5; Kelleher and McKay 4 each; Bissett, Brain, McLaughlin, O'Meara and Thomas 3 each; Bertram, Faul, Pratt and Richards 2 each; Austin 1.

Players Reported

Following Saturday's League grand final it was announced that P. Reville, of South Melbourne, would be reported for alledgedly striking Foster, of Richmond, and for unseemly conduct and unnecessary rough play. He has been reported by the central, the boundary and a goal umpire. Goal Umpire Currie has reported J. Baggott, of Richmond, for alledgedly striking O'Meara, and O'Neill, of Richmond, for alledgedly striking Reville.

Richmond Congratulated.

Supporter hands in 100 pound gift.

Chars-a-banc Tour South Melbourne.

There were scenes of tremendous enthusiasm following Richmond's victory, and hundreds of persons attempted to get into the Richmond room.

Numerous speeches of congratulation were made, the most important being that of the president of the Victorian Football League (Dr. W. C. McClelland), who said Richmond had given a wonderful display of football and had thoroughly deserved the premiership.

Cr. A. Crofts, president of South Melbourne, visited the room and added South's congratulations, saying the better team had won the premiership.

The speechifying then went on for about an hour, mention being made of the splendid work of the Richmond trainers, who had sent the men out in such splendid trim. Thanks were also given to the Hawthorn trainers, who annually assist Richmond in these final matches.

At half time Mr. A. Chirnside, who follows the fortunes of Richmond, addressed the players and informed them that if they won he would hand in a cheque for 100 pounds.

Following the speechifying after the match the players on leaving the room were mobbed by about 1000 supporters waiting outside the clubroom, and as each player came out he was rushed by fair supporters and was kissed and congratulated. Later the players were taken by chars-a-banc through the city, the cry of "What do we do? - Eat 'em alive" ringing out every few seconds from the delighted players and their friends in the chars-a-banc.

About 150 dined at Carlyon's Hotel, where the popular club president (Mr. B. V. Herbert) thanked the players for the great game they had given. The club's jubilee and premiership cake was then cut by Mr. Charles, the first secretary of the Richmond club, who founded the club 50 years ago. Messrs. W. Gosch and H. L. Roberts also spoke, Mr. Roberts, who is vice-president of the Victorian Football League, stating that the League would never agree to taking in more clubs than it had at the moment. Others who spoke during the series of speeches were Messrs. A. Chirnside, D. Cameron (Railway department), F. Hesse, A. Beckerley, C. Robertson, A. Murphy (Hamilton), amd many others.

After the dinner the players boarded their chars-a-banc and made a triumphal tour, the route including South Melbourne. Outside the South Melbourne town hall and in the main streets the Richmond war cry of "Eat 'em alive" shattered the silence, and there were vigorous and noisy counter efforts by South Melbourne supporters. The players were then taken to Richmond town hall, where they were welcomed and thanked by the mayor of Richmond (Cr. W. Williams), who said all Richmond hearts were happy that night. The players were then taken to the principal Richmond theatres and were brought on to the stage where ringing cheers were given for them by thousands if persons in the audiences.

Later the players received a wonderful reception at the Richmond club dance being held at the Richmond ground, and were again showered with kisses and compliments. At midnight they set off for a secret destination, and after a brisk run into the country, found themselves at the Park Orchards dance cabaret, where dancing went on till daylight.

The celebrations were continued throughout yesterday. At the ground yesterday morning there were hundreds of supportes present and these were thanked for their loyalty by Messrs. B. V. Herbert (president), J. J. Smith (secretary) and F. O'Brien (member of the committee and one of the selectors).

A wind-up dinner is to be staged next Saturday night, when the winning of the premiership is again to be celebrated.


1902 (VFA) - 1905 (VFA) - 1920 - 1921 - 1932 - 1943 - 1967 - 1969 - 1973 - 1974 - 1980