Author Topic: Coburg today  (Read 1332 times)

Moi

Coburg today
« on: July 09, 2005, 08:40:29 PM »
Great win by the boys today, but I had a day which was tinged with sadness.

At the Coburg game at Punt Road, I started to head over to the ‘G at half time, but as I was leaving I saw an old lady lying unconscious on the ground.  A couple of people were with her doing what they could, but not being professionals, it seemed they really couldn’t do much. 

I recognised the lady, but couldn’t remember her name.  So I went up to see if I could help – much the same as the other ppl there, I was pretty useless.  But I did ring for an ambulance, and in the meantime, a nurse and a doctor came up and gave her mouth to mouth and heart massage.

The ambos came in what seemed like an eternity, but was probably only 5 mins or so, which was pretty good considering the crowds coming to the ‘G.

The doctor and nurse were fantastic, and she was in good hands, as they gave it their all to try and bring her back. 

I don’t know the result, as I left when the ambulance came, but would like to know what happened to her.  I hope she came through it, but seeing as she was a lady in her ‘80s, and seeing what I saw, I’m not hopeful of a good outcome.

Was a surreal atmosphere watching five feet behind her, people serving drinks and food, and others watching the footy, having a beer etc. dry under shelter while she was lying in the rain outside fighting for her life.

Could things have been done better?  I think so.  I don’t think I should have had to call for an ambulance, seeing I came on the scene a few minutes after she collapsed.  I guess communication is hard when there are lots of people in attendance, so maybe I’m a bit harsh.

Anyone know if it’s mandatory for an ambulance to be at these games, because as I went outside the ground to wait for the ambulance to give them directions to her, I noticed one parked outside, but didn’t know if that was one that was regularly there or was called for to treat Hartigan. 

Anyway, I hope she is okay and would appreciate it if anyone knows what happened after I left to let me know. 

And if that nurse and doctor read this, you were amazing in your efforts, and those that cared enough to get involved, I’m pretty sure her family would say thank you.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Coburg today
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 04:17:41 AM »
That's sad about the old lady Moi. Good on you for calling an ambulance.

Anyone know if it’s mandatory for an ambulance to be at these games, because as I went outside the ground to wait for the ambulance to give them directions to her, I noticed one parked outside, but didn’t know if that was one that was regularly there or was called for to treat Hartigan. 

Not sure Moi but I thought it was.

Poor Harts! I heard he was concussed and needed a neck brace  :(. Hopefully that's just a standard precaution and he's ok.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Coburg today
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 04:45:08 AM »
VFL Round 14 - Final Score

Coburg         3.3 7.5 9.8 11.15-81
Williamstown 2.2 3.3 4.6 4.9-33

Goals: T. Jorgensen 3, K. Archibald 3, V. Randello, A. Pattison, K. Moore, D. Jackson, N. Raines

Best: M. Rix, J. Schultz, S. Morrison, K. Archibald, N. Foley, N. Raines

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Foley had 47 possessions for Coburg (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 04:47:36 AM »
Magpie duo upstaged
10 July 2005   
Sunday Herald Sun
Howard Leigh

EMERGING Ricmond midfielder Nathan Foley upstaged more high-profile Collingwood players in 2000 Brownlow medallist Shane Woewodin and defender Jason Cloke in yesterday's VFL clash between Coburg and Williamstown at the Punt Rd Oval.

The 19-year-old, who made his AFL debut earlier in the season, was best afield in the Tigers' 48-point win over the Seagulls finished with a massive 47 possessions (25 kicks, 22 handballs).

Coburg's 11.15 (81) to 4.9 (33) victory keeps its final eight hopes flickering.

Coburg coach David Flood said Foley's contribution after five weeks out with a torn hamstring was first class.

"His possession count was like scoring a double hundred in cricket," Flood said.

Richmond list players Shane Morrison and Daniel Jackson were also outstanding.

The downside was midfielder Brent Hartigan being taken to hospital by ambulance after a collision with Williamstown's Luke Theodore in the second quarter.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15876019%255E19771,00.html