Author Topic: Andy Collins to coach Coburg  (Read 3333 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Andy Collins to coach Coburg
« on: October 11, 2005, 05:03:32 AM »
Richmond coach Terry Wallace has invited former Richmond and Fremantle midfielder Ashley Prescott to join him as an assistant next year.

Prescott, who is coach of Claremont in the WAFL and a tutor with the Clontarf Football Academy, met Wallace in Perth 10 days ago to discuss a role with the Tigers as a development coach and senior coach of Richmond's VFL affiliate, Coburg.

Prescott, 33, played 90 games in six seasons with the Tigers from 1993 and a further 28 games with the Dockers between 1999-2001.

Wallace already has recast his support team, with former Kangaroo half-back David King moving from a part-time role to a full-time position and tactician David Wheadon moving into a development role. David Flood, who coached Coburg this year, has left.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/10/10/1128796466656.html
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 04:18:03 PM by one-eyed »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Ashley Prescott invited to coach Coburg
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 05:35:43 AM »
Coached Claremont to the WAFL GF this year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 06:31:52 AM »
he was developing into a good player 4 us then they traded him! good to see him back

Offline tigertough12

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 07:10:25 AM »
he was developing into a good player 4 us then they traded him! good to see him back

I thought he shafted the club just like Maxfeild???

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 08:38:12 AM »
JUST AVERAGE PLAYER INA CRAP side.

Tony Free got the ar$e because of his knee, and then he became Prescotts manager. Prescott walked and shafted us in the pre-season draft to Freo, were he realised he really was poo.

Dont know if he can coach though!

letsgetiton!

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 11:31:24 AM »
JUST AVERAGE PLAYER INA CRAP side.

Tony Free got the ar$e because of his knee, and then he became Prescotts manager. Prescott walked and shafted us in the pre-season draft to Freo, were he realised he really was poo.

Dont know if he can coach though!

i thought he walked on us bec, they were gonna trade him, so he went first. he was a nuch improved player and killing it then he dislocated his shoulder and never really recovered from that but hey it took joel bowden to fully get over his shoulder reco

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 01:55:58 PM »
Sounds like a good pickup!

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 03:13:48 PM »
I remember being more happy than rueful when Prescott left us. He defined average.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 04:46:56 PM »
He's not back yet but...............

The Coburg B&F is on this Saturday evening perhaps they will announce it then :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 04:54:08 PM »
i thought he walked on us bec, they were gonna trade him, so he went first.

That's what I thought happened. I could be wrong though.

Prescott went to Freo in the 99 PSD and we picked up Clay Sampson from the Crows  :P. The irony is Troy Simmonds was picked up by the Dees from Box Hill two picks after ours. Well done Geisch! You've got to love our recruiting decisions over the years ::) lol.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Andy Collins also in the running
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 02:17:17 AM »
From the Age
By Stephen Rielly
October 12, 2005

The Tigers are also expected to announce shortly David Flood's successor as coach of the club's VFL affiliate Coburg.

Terry Wallace flew to Perth recently to interview former Richmond and Fremantle midfielder Ashley Prescott. Former Hawthorn player and Box Hill coach Andy Collins is also in the running for the part-time role.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/10/11/1128796527545.html
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 05:20:55 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
Re: Ashley Prescott staying with Claremont
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 11:11:12 AM »
Prescott prefers to stick with Claremont

ROSS LEWIS

Claremont will retain the services of league coach Ashley Prescott for at least one more season after he declined an invitation to join AFL club Richmond.

And the former Richmond and Fremantle midfielder could remain at Claremont for longer than expected, with negotiations under way to extend his tenure.

Prescott, who guided the Tigers to WAFL grand finals in his first two seasons at the helm, was offered a player development role and the head coaching post of Richmond's affiliated VFL team, Coburg.

The job opportunities followed a meeting between the 33-year-old and Richmond senior coach Terry Wallace in Perth earlier this month.

However, Prescott, who played 90 games with the AFL Tigers between 1993-98 and another 38 for the Dockers before retiring in 2001, advised Richmond yesterday he would see out the final year of his three-season deal at Claremont.

"I did think about it a fair bit, to be honest," Prescott said. "It was attractive because it was the club where I started.

"But my next step is to an AFL assistant coach's role and I felt at Claremont I am in a development role anyway.

"I also think guys that take on WAFL jobs have a responsibility to WAFL football, too, not just see it solely as a stepping stone to the AFL.

"I'm not measuring my coaching on time. I'm measuring it on gut feel and taking an opportunity to further my coaching if one comes along and I feel it is right.

"I just want to keep learning as a coach. I have had a few offers to go elsewhere but I want to stick to the path I'm on and everything will look after itself."

Claremont want to lock in Prescott's services, at least in the short term, and have raised the prospect of a new coaching deal.

The talks follow recent moves by South Fremantle and West Perth to tie premiership coaches John Dimmer and Darren Harris to their posts until the end of the 2008 season.

Any new contract would include a slip clause to allow Prescott to move freely to an AFL position, should he want.

"They have always said to me if something within the AFL did pop up that I wanted to do, they wouldn't hold me back, and that's the great thing about Claremont as a supportive club," Prescott said.

Meanwhile, former Claremont captain Greg Harding is poised to abandon retirement after one season and return to play with the Tigers league team in 2006.

http://www.thewest.com.au/20051012/sport/tw-sport-home-sto132462.html
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Andy Collins to coach Coburg
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 03:43:33 PM »
Collins to coach Coburg Tigers
2:55:05 PM Wed 12 October, 2005
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Triple Hawthorn premiership player Andy Collins is the new coach of Richmond’s VFL affiliate the Coburg Tigers.

The appointment of Collins, who played 212 senior games for the Hawks from 1986-96, including their premiership triumphs in 1988-89 and 1991, was made today by a sub-committee of Richmond and Coburg officials.

Richmond’s Director of Football Greg Miller, who also serves on the Coburg Board, believes Collins has ideal qualifications for the coaching role.

“Andy’s a man who controls his own destiny. He’ll get in and look after all facets of the job because he has the necessary, well-rounded expertise. He’s a very experienced football person, and knows exactly what’s required to achieve success,” Miller said.

Collins will have a dual responsibility as coach of the Coburg Tigers, according to Miller.

“There’s the match-day success and growth of the Coburg list, as well as working closely with the Richmond coaching staff to ensure the continued development of the younger Richmond players,” Miller said.

“The ability to look after the interests of both clubs, and continue the good relationship they enjoy is critical, and I’m very confident Andy, given his background, is the right man for the job.”

Collins, 40, has had extensive coaching experience, with stints at VFL clubs Sandringham and Box Hill, AFL club St Kilda and suburban club Mitcham.

He guided the Box Hill Hawks into successive finals appearances in his two years at the helm – 2004-05 – before stepping down at the end of the season.

Last July, Collins accepted a full-time position as Career and Welfare Manager at Cricket Victoria.

Although his career commitments have increased since then, his passion for coaching influenced him to throw his hat into the ring for the part-time Coburg Tigers coaching position.

Miller has no doubts that Collins will be able to successfully combine his workload at Cricket Victoria, with his position as Coburg Tigers coach.

“He’s a well-organised person, and organised people can get a lot more done than others,” Miller said.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=234087

It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 04:29:38 PM »
I just hope he is good with young kids - the Burger list was the youngest in the VFl this season (average age 19) so a massive part of the Coburg job is about player development
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 04:44:08 PM »
Agree WP. Coburg also lacks height and a proper spine. It's a tough ask for them to win games no matter who got the coaching job.

Collins has had a fairly good record in the past but I think those sides had a balance between young and experienced players.

I wonder if Coburg will scrap following the 12/10 rule next year like other VFL clubs have done during the H/A season so we can have every RFC player playing with the Coburg seniors.