Author Topic: Connor Menadue [merged]  (Read 102321 times)

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Connor Menadue [merged]
« Reply #360 on: July 22, 2018, 12:11:01 AM »
He reminds me of a white version of Lewis Jetta. Has lightning pace but you just think why can't you use it more often to burn off an opponent? Technically Matthew "white lightning" has done more being the fast so-so footballer type.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #361 on: July 22, 2018, 06:24:44 AM »
Apart from the GF HT sprint, I’ve never seen him look lightning quick, when has he ever looked anything resembling Rioli, Butler, Castagna let alone Jetta?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #362 on: July 22, 2018, 09:47:29 AM »
Apart from the GF HT sprint, I’ve never seen him look lightning quick, when has he ever looked anything resembling Rioli, Butler, Castagna let alone Jetta?
You’re confusing quick over 20 with quick over 100.

Usain Bolt would look slow on a footy field, those first 20 are crucial.

Offline Chopstix

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #363 on: July 22, 2018, 10:17:50 AM »
He has done FA this year when given a chance. And he has had a few.
I don’t think that is debatable.
He doesn’t need to kick 3 goals or have 30 touches, he just needs to be clean when he gets his chance and he hasn’t. And age has nothing to do with that.
Another preseason and you never know but imo he is just a vanilla footballer at AFL level that can run fast.

Totally agree. Very average footballer based on what we have seen so far.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #364 on: July 22, 2018, 11:21:04 AM »
Can’t see him not playing this week. Form aside we need Speed against the pies.

Menadue plays
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #365 on: July 22, 2018, 11:33:17 AM »
He doesn’t need to kick 3 goals or have 30 touches, he just needs to be clean when he gets his chance and he hasn’t. And age has nothing to do with that.
Another preseason and you never know but imo he is just a vanilla footballer at AFL level that can run fast.

BT not disputing he hasn't set the world on fire but are you saying he isn't clean with ball in hand?

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #366 on: July 22, 2018, 01:48:13 PM »

BT not disputing he hasn't set the world on fire but are you saying he isn't clean with ball in hand?
Yep. He fumbles all the time due to confidence.
Some players never feel comfortable at AFL level and that’s why they are good VFL players but that is their limit.
I’m starting to think Menadue is that sort of footballer.

Just remember every player on an AFL list can play, they all can do good things in games but if they are to play regular AFL footy, they need to do it more than just a couple of times a game.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 07:09:40 PM by big tone »

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #367 on: July 22, 2018, 02:31:37 PM »
I am not convinced that Menadue will not make it, but I don't see it being with us.

I just don't think he has a role to play in our team structure, which is totally focussed on playing a role.

Any side looking for some outside speed would be crazy not to look at him. I think his defensive ability is what lets him down with us.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #368 on: July 22, 2018, 04:50:25 PM »

How often is sprinting 100m relevant on a football field? Never, so he isn’t “football quick”
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #369 on: July 22, 2018, 04:59:36 PM »

Have you ever seen how quick Bolt is over 20m? Nobody in the AFL would touch him.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #370 on: July 22, 2018, 05:15:38 PM »

Have you ever seen how quick Bolt is over 20m? Nobody in the AFL would touch him.
Yep, watched him live, he’s often 3-5 strides behind the rest of the field at the start of a race:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bT9cnP7Z8Js

But I was exaggerating slightly  ;)

My point is being quick over 20 is a very different skill to being fast over 100.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #371 on: July 22, 2018, 05:48:56 PM »
I suspect he could go a lot faster over that first 20 if he really wanted to.... :shh

...and bear in mind those blokes he trails in the first 20 are also among the fastest human beings on the earth.... :shh :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #372 on: July 22, 2018, 05:58:05 PM »
I suspect he could go a lot faster over that first 20 if he really wanted to.... :shh

So true  :shh

You are one of few who really gets football  :shh :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #373 on: July 22, 2018, 08:51:22 PM »

Yep. He fumbles all the time due to confidence.
Some players never feel comfortable at AFL level and that’s why they are good VFL players but that is their limit.
I’m starting to think Menadue is that sort of footballer.

Just remember every player on an AFL list can play, they all can do good things in games but if they are to play regular AFL footy, they need to do it more than just a couple of times a game.

I see him as very clean and I am certainly calm when he has the ball as his decision making and delivery is exceptional. Given his skill sets he should add plenty to the group.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #374 on: August 04, 2018, 12:38:11 AM »
Thoughts on Menadue's game?

18 disposals (11k, 7h, 9 con, 10 uncon) @ 67%
2 marks
2 tackles
1 clearance
1 inside50