Author Topic: Richmond vs Essendon @ the M.C.G., Rnd 11, 2018 - Dreamtime at the 'G  (Read 12004 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Tigers have beaten 0 sides that finished top 8 last year, bombers 4 wins have all been against top 8 sides....
Who cares about last year? We should be looking at this year's records.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Tigers have beaten 0 sides that finished top 8 last year, bombers 4 wins have all been against top 8 sides....
Who cares about last year? We should be looking at this year's records.

Bombers 4 wins have come against GWS who are currently outside the 8 and in shambles, geelong who havnt been consistently winning all season, port who currently sit outside the 8 in Melbourne and Adelaide in Melbourne so let’s not get carried away.

For all the comments about our draw we have already faced 5/7 teams sitting in the 8 and beaten 3 of them.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
YES! FEARLESS GRIMES IS BACK!!!

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
YES! FEARLESS GRIMES IS BACK!!!
A fearless premiership hero  :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Yes an actual fearless player, rather than your imaginary ones... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Yes an actual fearless player not one imagined in your head... :shh
Couldn't have said it any better, the way people have talked up Menadue has boggled the mind of late. Has talent but fearless?  :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Lebowski

Good in - George wouldve been handy, hopefully next week

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
Yes an actual fearless player not one imagined in your head... :shh
Couldn't have said it any better, the way people have talked up BEllis has boggled the mind of late. Has little talent and not the least bit fearless.... :shh

e.f.a
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Red ribbon, champ.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame

- Thomas Sowell

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond vs Essendon @ the M.C.G., Rnd 11, 2018 - Dreamtime at the 'G
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2018, 04:30:40 AM »
Heading for a sellout!

Tickets
A very limited number of reserved seats and standing room tickets remain on sale here. It is strongly recommended that fans buy in advance, as it is likely they will sell out before match day.

General admission seating
Ponsford Stand
Q34-Q36 (Rows S-MM)*

Great Southern Stand
Q1-Q5

*Available for pre-purchased general admission ticket holders and club members (subject to change).

http://www.mcg.org.au/whats-on/events-calendar/2018/june/essendon-v-richmond-june-2

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Shane Edwards Dreamtime likened to grand final (ESPN)
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2018, 01:51:35 PM »
AFL Richmond Tigers Shane Edwards Dreamtime likened to grand final

Jake Michaels
ESPN Assistant Editor
1 June 2018

Richmond premiership player Shane Edwards believes marquee games such as Saturday night's Dreamtime at the 'G provide "good practice" for the pressure and intensity of an AFL grand final.

More than 80,000 fans are expected to pack the Melbourne Cricket Ground to watch traditional rivals Richmond and Essendon do battle in what will be the 14th Dreamtime clash.

Edwards, 29, says a lot of similarities can be drawn between the showpiece games of the home and away season and the grand final, both in terms of the build-up and in-game atmosphere.

"It's really good practice because there's a lot of things going on outside the game which also happen at the grand final," Edwards told ESPN. "It's a finals-like atmosphere and it's good practice to make sure you keep your eyes on the game, focus on what your role is, and not worry about anything else.

"We're really lucky [at Richmond] because we get to play Anzac Eve and we get the Dreamtime game.

"At the end of the day the game is played no differently, there's just a lot more buzz and feel about it. It's just a special day."

It certainly helped Richmond last year. The Tigers won both their Anzac Eve and Dreamtime matches before snapping a 37-year premiership drought when they thrashed Adelaide by 48 points in the grand final. Damien Hardwick's side also won all eight games last year where the crowd figure reached 60,000 and have continued on that form this season, sitting second with an 8-2 record.

While the Dreamtime clash provides a great opportunity to prepare for September, its main focus is to recognise and celebrate Australia's Indigenous culture. Edwards, one of 29 Indigenous players to reach the 200 game milestone, said it was an honour to once again be involved in the event.

"Along with all the things outside of the sirens, it really highlights all the past and present Indigenous players that have made the game what it is today," Edwards told ESPN. "It's something special that makes you feel very proud, especially now that we have got six Indigenous kids [at Richmond].

"There were a few years there where I was the only one and I felt a little bit lonely out there."

A win on Saturday evening could see Richmond regain top spot on the AFL ladder while Essendon can jump to within one win of the top eight with a victory.

http://kwese.espn.com/afl/story/_/id/23517325/afl-richmond-tigers-shane-edwards-dream-likened-grand-final

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2018, 01:54:14 PM »
The media are once again pumping up Essendon as contenders  :sleep.

David King (who tipped the Bombers to win the flag at the start of the year :facepalm) is tipping Essendon to win.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

David King analyses Dreamtime at the ‘G and who Essendon can take down the reigning premiers

DAVID KING,
Herald Sun
June 1, 2018 10:51am

IT’S crunch time for the Essendon Football Club.

A finals campaign seemed a pipedream a fortnight ago but wins over Geelong and Greater Western Sydney have the door slightly ajar now the reigning premiers stand in the way.

The Bombers post Round 8 are a different beast than the dysfunctional and selfish version that wasted the first two months of the season. If Richmond underestimates Essendon, it will pay a price.

John Worsfold stood defiant, would not accept external views and shouldered the load as the senior coach must, but behind the scenes Dyson Heppell demanded more from the club’s leaders and most importantly, himself.

It’s no coincidence Heppell has played his toughest football since that pow-wow with his teammates. Season-high contested-possession games of 16 (Cats) and 14 (Giants) and a career-high 12-clearances last week stamped his “follow me” rather than “listen to me” adjustment.

It’s dramatic shift from apportioning blame to taking responsibility. No more of Brendon Goddard’s futile finger pointing but a team-first “do your job” mentality.

Heppell has become the captain Essendon hoped and the leadership of David Zaharakis cannot be understated.

Heppell’s legacy as captain has elevated significantly over past month but Trent Cotchin is the poster boy for AFL leadership. Who will have a bigger influence on Saturday night?

Essendon can defeat the Tigers. I repeat, Essendon can defeat Richmond despite the disparate ladder positions - 12th v 2nd.

The Bombers’ pressure game has become a feature of their alterations, highlighted by Mark Baguley’s shift from defence to attack which has ensured a tackle and harassment level unseen among “The Walking Dead” Bomber forwards who allowed clean passage for the opposition on counter-attack across the first two months of the season.

A spike in forward-half tackles from an average 29 tackles per match from Rounds 1-8, to 41 over the past fortnight highlights the shift in focus and intent. It’s not he volume of total tackles, but the location in terms of field position that’s critical.

The Tigers’ forward-handball game poses the perfect challenge for the pressuring Bombers — an opportunity that will again be driven by Devon Smith who’s the league’s best pressure player. What an outstanding off-season acquisition, but he needs others to continue to subscribe.

Essendon is the first team to have three successive games with a Champion Data pressure rating in excess of 200. The AFL pressure rating average is approximately 180 which is exactly the rating the Bombers had for the first seven rounds.

The Tigers thrive on chaos, under constant confrontational pressure and continual turnover, therefore the challenge is there for the Bombers to embrace but make no mistake, this game will be decided without possession of the football.

Richmond is an average clearance team. It has been outscored by its opposition despite the star factor and threat of Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin and Kane Lambert at clearances.

The territory advantage from winning clearances must be Essendon’s. Tom Bellchambers’ connection with Heppell and a reinvigorated Zach Merrett is crucial.

Over the past three weeks the Toby Nankervis tap to Martin has happened only six times, ranked just inside the AFL’s top 30 combinations.

Bellchambers to Zaharakis (12 times), to Heppell (eight times) and to Smith (six times) illuminates a ruck-to-rover advantage for the Dons. Let alone when Shaun Grigg goes into the ruck.

Bellchambers had 19 hitouts to advantage against the Giants. Expect the same.

The Bombers must “catch and kill their own”, as Ross Lyon would say. If finals mean anything to this midfield core then a brutal approach must be evident.

Shock victories need individual wildcard performances. Think Shaun McKernan’s three-goal first quarter against Geelong. Jake Stringer is in good form and is quietly going about his business in a team-first fashion with nine score involvements last weekend both in the midfield and forward.

Stringer’s 100th game celebration may just be the perfect forum. It’s the stuff dreams are made of.

Essendon is a different team with Orazio Fantasia in the line-up. The Bombers have won seven of their last 11 games when Fantasia is in the side, with 18 goals from him in that period.

Fantasia is the class in the Bombers’ forward half and I’m expecting a big performance after three games back from injury.

Defeating Martin is a difficult task. Which way will Worsfold lean?

Trust Adam Saad again or leave Saad to play unrestricted as per the past 2-3 weeks?

Is Andrew McGrath physically capable at this early stage and do you want him on the last ine of defence?

I wonder if Goddard would put his hand up for one of the biggest challenges in the game? What a statement that would make to the Essendon playing group.

Would Goddard sacrifice himself for the team gain? Physically there’s no issue, mentally it would be a shift to play a negating role, but Goddard is more than capable.

Is he willing?

If it’s good enough for Scott Pendlebury to tag Patrick Cripps then why not Goddard?

Let’s wait and see how creative and daring Worsfold and his coaches are on Saturday night.

Richmond has won the last six confrontations against the Bombers, but this would be the most significant.

Essendon’s 2018 finals campaign is on the line. Win this and it can dare to dream. Essendon by less than a goal and Heppell to take home the boomerang.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/david-king/david-king-analyses-dreamtime-at-the-g-and-who-essendon-can-take-down-the-reigning-premiers/news-story/aac4e961d944db7b825d0dbe1a8ee3b2

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2018, 01:54:30 PM »
Lot of love for the Bombers from the media this week which is funny after their mauling when they were struggling
It's time to put the Bombers back in their box with a decisive victory.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2018, 02:09:35 PM »
It's a sellout:

Public tickets for the #DreamtimeAtTheG match have now sold out. Once the stadium reaches capacity, only reserved seat members or patrons with a pre-purchased Ticketek issued ticket will be granted entry.

https://twitter.com/EssendonFC/status/1002337676823916545