Author Topic: Sherrin says a footy needs to be kicked in for 20 mins before use in a game  (Read 2251 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
“There is an issue with it, and they’re addressing it": Sherrin ask AFL to fix footballs

By SEN
9 July 2020

Football manufacturer Sherrin have asked the AFL to have the balls kicked in prior to the start of matches.

Eddie McGuire revealed on Channel 9's Footy Classified that the AFL intend to adopt a similar model to the NBA.

“Sherrin have come to the AFL and said they want their balls kicked in for at least 20 minutes," he said.

“They are not designed now to be able to just go out and bounce the ball.

“In the NBA in America, the ball gets bounced for half an hour before the match, that is a standard procedure."

McGuire also said the umpires were over-inflating the balls in order to bounce them, and that alterations to the surface of the ball had been rejected.

“Because of the shine, the umpires are inflating the balls too much, so they’re too hard as well because the umpires can’t bounce the ball unless they’re really hard," he said.

“They did look at putting rubber dimples on it to help but the coaches said that would stop the long kick because of the aerodynamics, so they’ve nixed that.

“There is an issue with it, and they’re addressing it which is great that everyone is admitting where it is."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/07/08/there-is-an-issue-with-it-and-theyre-addressing-it-sherrin-ask-afl-to-fix/

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
it also needs to be looked at whilst your kicking it

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Even when I was a kid I always felt the yellow ball was a lot harder than the red one. A new yellow one felt like kicking concrete  :P.

If you kick through the centre of mass of a ball then the ball will go straight. That's basic physics. Even a round ball will go straight although it's harder to do than will an oval ball. It takes practice to get it to go straight. Actually kicking Aussie Rules style with a Soccer ball improves your technique once you switch back to a Sherrin. Something AFL players should do IMO. Having said that a bit of 'give' in the footy probably provides a greater surface area of contact so there's less chance of the ball going off the side of the boot.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Guys, you know the forum guidelines. No discussion of other posters and especially past posters.

Back to the topic, please.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
"they want their balls kicked in for at least 20 minutes"  pretty much like Geelong supporters
Lots of people name their swords......

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
"they want their balls kicked in for at least 20 minutes"  pretty much like Geelong supporters
I'm willing to help out in any way I can.  I've kicked a few balls in before.  20 minutes?  No problem ....     :santa
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
lol
Lots of people name their swords......