Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 462878 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #615 on: July 13, 2010, 03:14:57 PM »
Riewoldt an inspiration, says Collins
ROBERT GRANT
July 13, 2010 - 1:14PM
AAP

In Andrew Collins, Richmond finally seem to have uncovered an effective foil for star goalkicker Jack Riewoldt.

While Riewoldt is a shock leader in the Coleman medal race with 58 majors from 15 matches, the Tigers have been struggling to find other productive routes to goal, especially with Mitch Morton languishing in the VFL.

But their recent turnaround in form has coincided with Collins booting 11 goals in the last five rounds - four of which have been Richmond victories.

Crumbers Ben Nason (13) and Robin Nahas (11) are the only other Tigers in double figures.

Collins - who is equally dangerous overhead or once the ball hits the ground - spent two seasons overcoming osteitis pubis before enjoying a breakthrough season as a midfielder in 2009.

This year, the 21-year-old, who admits he has "always enjoyed kicking a goal", has been an integral part of the side's resurgence after being moved forward by new coach Damien Hardwick.

He paid credit to Ben Cousins and Riewoldt on Tuesday.

"(Riewoldt) is playing some great football and he's had a big influence on the blokes around him because he's really straightened us up with someone who's a real focal point to," said Collins.

"You sort of kick it to him and you nearly expect him to mark it these days or you at least know he's going to get it to ground.

"I suppose we're trying to keep a little bit of a lid on it but it's great watching his highlights and the job he's doing for the side at the moment is great."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/riewoldt-an-inspiration-says-collins-20100713-108qz.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #616 on: July 15, 2010, 05:28:40 AM »
The Riewoldt riddle
JAKE NIALL
July 15, 2010

Why football's hottest property slipped to pick 13 in the 2006 draft.

SEVEN key-position players, plus a 203-centimetre ruckman, were preferred to Jack Riewoldt in the 2006 draft and the clubs that bypassed the Coleman Medal favourite had sound reasons for their letting him go through to the Tigers, who grabbed him at what turned out to be a lucky pick number 13.

Riewoldt was then 192.3 centimetres - the shortest of all the key-position prospects picked in the first round of the draft - and he was relatively slow in tests at the mini-decathlon known as the draft camp. His 20-metre time of 3.09 seconds put him in the bottom quarter for measurable pace.

His endurance running was better but certainly not exceptional like Essendon's Scott Gumbleton and North's Lachlan Hansen, who were significantly taller (197.1 and 196.7 respectively) and owned monstrous ''tanks'' for players of their size. They were duly selected at picks two and three. Collingwood pair Ben Reid and Nathan Brown and Melbourne's James Frawley were taller and far quicker over 20 metres. Hawthorn's Mitch Thorp, a fellow Tasmanian (pick 6) who has since been delisted, Lion Matthew Leuenberger (4) and the Bulldogs' Andrejs Everitt (11) were the other talls preferred to the pale, talkative Hobart kid who could really mark.

The clubs that didn't pick him based their assessments on empirical evidence, not a hunch. Riewoldt wasn't very tall compared to the others, and lacked pace. He had a good, but not spectacular leap. Where would he play, given those physical limitations? But Jack's best traits weren't so easily measured.

''We didn't think he was athletic or tall enough to play key position at either end,'' said North's then recruiting manager, now of Western Sydney, Neville Stibbard. The Roos, he added, held a preference for a tall back - a stance shared by the Demons, who liked Frawley's pace. Collingwood was in love with Reid and Brown.

Not overly tall, nor speedy off the mark like his cousin Nick, Jack Riewoldt has become - in a matter of two months - the game's leading goalkicker and possibly its hottest player, having booted 43 goals in the past eight matches, the best eight-game haul since Matthew Lloyd nine years ago. He has grown since 2006, but even Jack acknowledges that his official height of 195 centimetres is exaggerated; most close observers reckon he is closer to 193, six foot four in the old language. Tall enough, if you're good enough.

Riewoldt's ascent has been as stunning as his team's. As recently as last November, the Tigers saw Riewoldt as a player who would need a taller teammate to provide genuine key-position structure in a suspect forward line. This led them to draft a quick 198-centimetre forward, Ben Griffiths. Richmond didn't envisage that Jack would be at this present level.

The riddle of Jack Riewoldt is how this unprepossessing physical specimen has managed to take the competition apart. Not a freak athlete like ''Buddy'' Franklin, a monster with locomotive power like Tony Lockett or an explosive fast-twitch forward in the Gary Ablett senior/Jason Dunstall ilk, what we are witnessing is the arrival of a freaky forward whose major assets are either pure footballer - marking, reading the play - or above the shoulders.

One trait, almost essential to full-forwards, that Jack doesn't lack is self-belief. ''I think he knows what he's good at,'' said Richmond general manager of football Craig Cameron. Another club insider compared him to Dermott Brereton and Carlton's flamboyant premiership forward Peter Bosustow in the sense that he thrived under the spotlight.

As Brereton noted, few elite forwards lack for confidence, or ''have an inner drive that is abnormally peculiar''.

IN THE final quarter on Saturday night, Riewoldt took an astonishing pack mark about 25 metres out and booted a critical goal. When replayed in slow motion, it appeared as though only one player was launching himself at the ball; the others in the pack, teammates or Dockers, were rendered static.

Kevin Sheehan, the AFL's talent identification manager, notes that Gary Ablett snr used to take those kinds of marks, which rely on the forward judging where the ball will end up and then launching himself. All the great contested marking forwards - Wayne Carey, Royce Hart, Ablett snr - ascertained the flight path very early before their take-off.

The exceptional traits, as shown in that pack mark and many other grabs, are the judgment of the ball in flight, the confidence to attack it and the hands. Brereton, who worked with Riewoldt casually last year as a favour to his friend, then caretaker coach Jade Rawlings, did the marking practice drill in which both players boot high-velocity balls at one another from seven-10 metres.

''He was as clean as anyone I've ever seen,'' said Brereton, who has seen plenty of champions, such as Dunstall and Leigh Matthews, up close.

Riewoldt's abilities have come to the fore, in part, due to changes in the way AFL teams play and in Richmond's game style in particular. Observers at club level believe he has benefited from the trend towards long kicks to an isolated deep target. When Riewoldt booted 10 goals against West Coast, eight were from one-on-one aerial contests in which he either marked, crumbed or received a free.

Zoning has created a mill of players close to the ball, with less space for a leading forward. Consequently, teams are more willing to boot the ball to a man-on-man duel, which also allows them to set up a defensive ''press'' in the event of a turnover.

Under Damien Hardwick, the Tigers have become expert at keeping Riewoldt one-out, where his judgment, play-reading and footy nous see him win either aerial contests or cat-and-mouse games on the ground. ''He's also smart enough to know how to play his opponent,'' said Cameron.

The most intriguing piece in the Riewoldt mosaic is his extroverted personality. Such players are rare in football generally, are rarer still at Tigerland, where the playing group is mainly comprised of introverts. But full-forwards are often ''different cats'' who cannot succeed without belief, since they are asked to do the improbable more than midfielders or defenders.

How many players would even attempt Franklin's running goals against Essendon in that final quarter?

Riewoldt would attempt - and take - an improbable mark, and try a difficult goal. But much of his improvement has come by percentage football - holding marks, holding the ball in the forward line, and converting the goals that he should kick.

And, as recent weeks have shown, when he starts slotting them, he is apt to get on a roll.

''The bottom line is, he's just a smart footballer,'' said Cameron.

''He understands how to play different scenarios.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-riewoldt-riddle-20100714-10b33.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #617 on: July 18, 2010, 04:47:01 AM »
Jack Riewoldt is making a name for himself

* Greg Davis
  * Sunday Herald Sun
  * July 18, 2010

FOR his first three seasons in the AFL, Richmond's Jack Riewoldt was better known as "Nick's cousin".

But the full-forward has made a name for himself this year with a blistering season for the Tigers that has catapulted him to the top of the Coleman Medal standings with 58 goals.

His out-of-the-box season has even led some to cheekily refer to St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt as "Jack's cousin".

But has Jack done enough to leap into the rarefied air occupied by Nick, the Saints' centre half-forward and captain, who is a genuine superstar of the game?

Can he legitimately challenge his cousin, six years his senior, as the best Riewoldt in football?

Hawthorn legend Jason Dunstall - the third-highest goalkicker in the history of the game with 1254 majors in 269 games for the Hawks - says it is "mischievous" to mention Jack in the same breath as Nick. For now.

Dunstall said Jack had won him over this season, but he had a long way to go before he could surpass Nick.

"I was one of a group of people who hadn't seen enough to be convinced prior to this year. You'd hear talk about how this Jack Riewoldt had talent, how he could take the big mark and do this and that and the other," Dunstall said.

"But I've seen a heap of Richmond games this year and I have to say, I've completely turned around on him.

"I think he is a star. Absolutely. He is having an outstanding year. He is a super player.

"But he's got to do what he's doing this year for five years.

"Nick has more or less dominated the competition for a number of years.

"He and Jonathan Brown have been the two power forwards at the top of the tree for the best part of six to eight years."

Jack loses little when comparing his first four seasons in the AFL (2007-10) to Nick's first four at the elite level (2001-04).

In 61 games, Jack has kicked 115 goals to Nick's 120 in 75 games. Jack has taken 92 contested marks in the same period, with Nick grabbing 154.

Dunstall's fellow Fox Sports commentator and Brisbane Lions triple premiership player Alastair Lynch played against Jack's father, Chris, in the Tasmanian competition in the 1980s and joined forces in the state team.

Lynch went on to kick 633 goals in 306 matches for the Brisbane Lions and Fitzroy to sit in the top 25 goalkickers of all-time.

He agreed the younger Riewoldt had to turn a ton of potential into consistent performances.

"There's no doubt that Jack has done outstandingly well, but, realistically, he has a long way to go to get to Nick, who is a legitimate superstar of our game," Lynch said.

"Nick has been playing at a consistently high level for sometime and that is Jack's challenge, to maintain his current level. They are slightly different players, too, with slightly different situations.

"Jack plays as a deep forward while Nick plays all over the place and is an elite runner. Jack is also seeing more of the ball, because he is the focal point for the Tigers. You can get that with the lowly ranked teams. There are not a lot of other options sometimes."

Dunstall said the intense focus on Jack Riewoldt made his goalkicking heroics all the more commendable.

"He might get most of the opportunities, but, conversely, the opposition knows where the ball is going and the defenders will drop back on him," Dunstall said.

"He is competing against two or three guys at a time and is still taking his marks and doing what he's doing.

"He reads the game as well as anybody and I love the fact he takes such a good contested mark.

"His second and third efforts are what impresses me the most."

One area where Jack does have Nick covered - to the shock of many - is in height. Jack is listed at 195cm, compared with Nick's 193cm.

"That surprised everybody. Jack is like Peter Daicos (the former Collingwood great). He's got the long body without the long legs," Dunstall said.

Richmond - which has won five of its last six matches, after losing its opening nine games of the year - takes on North Melbourne at the MCG today.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jack-riewoldt-is-making-a-name-for-himself/story-e6frf9jf-1225893337765

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #618 on: July 18, 2010, 03:14:22 PM »

"That surprised everybody. Jack is like Peter Daicos (the former Collingwood great). He's got the long body without the long legs," Dunstall said.

His balance comes from this. Helps him in one-one-ones, means he can play tall or small and helps his kicking too.

Just on Jack - has there ever been a player where you are almost hoping the kick to him is a mongrel. Drop punts give most defenders a good read, but when the ball is slapped on the boot it seems Jack's superior judgement is really noticeable

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #619 on: July 18, 2010, 04:49:46 PM »
Only three goals and 8 disposals- time to trade  :D

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #620 on: July 19, 2010, 09:25:50 AM »
Only three goals and 8 disposals- time to trade  :D

Your right GR12 enoughs enough

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #621 on: July 19, 2010, 09:38:30 AM »
Geez tough on him being compared to cousin Nick all the time.

Compare him to the key forwards taken in the same draft.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

TigerTimeII

« Reply #622 on: July 19, 2010, 09:56:26 AM »
Geez tough on him being compared to cousin Nick all the time.

Compare him to the key forwards taken in the same draft.

he is better than his cousin nick

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #623 on: July 27, 2010, 04:49:58 AM »
The Tackle
By Mark Robinson

WHAT I THINK I DON'T LIKE

5. Jack Riewoldt

Superstar in the making, super-whinger as well if he doesn't quickly realise how hard his teammates are working to get the ball to him. He is demanding, Jack, and his emotions are there for all to see. The MMMs gave him worst on ground on Saturday. Although that was a fraction harsh, a reputation is building.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tackle

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #624 on: July 27, 2010, 10:12:33 AM »
The Tackle
By Mark Robinson

WHAT I THINK I DON'T LIKE

5. Jack Riewoldt

Superstar in the making, super-whinger as well if he doesn't quickly realise how hard his teammates are working to get the ball to him. He is demanding, Jack, and his emotions are there for all to see. The MMMs gave him worst on ground on Saturday. Although that was a fraction harsh, a reputation is building.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tackle

eff off Robbo. As George Costanzo once said "he has hand"
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #625 on: July 29, 2010, 01:14:59 PM »
From the RFC site....

When asked if helping forward Jack Riewoldt win the race to claim the Coleman medal could also be a motivating factor, the old defender came out in Hardwick.

“I don’t like a goalkicking award to perfectly honest,” he said.

“If we could have one get away from our club, that’s a purely individual award that I’m not interested in and I’d be disappointed if our team was interested in that also.

“For us it’s all about getting our team game in place and going that way. It’s the furthest thing from my thoughts and the team’s thoughts in general.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/99222/default.aspx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #626 on: July 29, 2010, 05:42:44 PM »
Not surprised by Dimma's comments towards the Coleman in relation to Jack. The final siren saved Jack just as Dimma was about to drag him. Hardwick wasn't happy with a few of Jack's low percentage pot shots from the boundary line. It looked selfish and that Jack had the Coleman on his mind rather than playing to the team rules. A lesson learnt by Jack.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #627 on: July 29, 2010, 10:14:32 PM »
3aw said Jack was at the Mary Poppins musical tonight. He'll cop a ribbing over that from the rest of the boys lol.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #628 on: August 03, 2010, 07:55:28 AM »
The bookies (luxbet) now have Barry Hall as Coleman medal favourite.....  :-\

Hall, Barry (Western Bulldogs)  1.67 

Riewoldt, Jack (Richmond)      2.20 

LeCras, Mark (West Coast)      14 

Pavlich, Matthew (Fremantle)    51

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #629 on: August 07, 2010, 02:20:22 PM »
The media are pumping up the battle between Jack and James Frawley...

Young AFL stars face years in battle
SAM LIENERT
August 7, 2010

An expected duel between Richmond forward Jack Riewoldt and Melbourne defender James Frawley looms as pivotal not only at the MCG on Sunday, but for years to come.

Since they were taken a pick apart at the 2006 national draft - Frawley at No.12, Riewoldt at 13 - their two clubs have shared the wooden spoons, Richmond in 2007 and the Demons in 2008 and 2009.

But both teams have made significant strides since battling for bottom spot this time last year, with Melbourne still in finals contention if they beat Richmond, while the Tigers are chasing their seventh win in 10 rounds.

The superb form of the two 21-year-olds has been a major factor, Riewoldt equal top of the AFL goal-kicking tally and Frawley regularly restricting the game's top forwards, while providing great defensive rebound.

If those two players and their clubs continue on their current path, the Riewoldt-Frawley duel will be a feature of the coming decade.

The Demons belted Richmond by 55 points in round four, but Frawley, who kept Brisbane's Jonathan Brown in check last weekend, acknowledged he found Riewoldt - who kicked 3.4 and took nine marks on him - a handful.

"I've played on him a couple times, and he's improved out of sight this year," Frawley said.

"I played on him (in round four) and he got the honours ... he's a very good one-on-one mark, a very good contested player and just a smart footballer."

He said combating the star Tiger took a team effort.

"Nearly 60 per cent of the time they go inside 50 they go to Riewoldt, so it's probably a good opportunity for blokes to come and help out," he said.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/young-afl-stars-face-years-in-battle-20100807-11p0g.html