Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 462908 times)

Ramps

Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #645 on: August 09, 2010, 09:36:21 AM »

Anyones thoughts on seeing McGuane and Thursty down there.

Think they showed why they're defenders. ;)

Griffiths missing is the key but I'd like to think we have another alternative KPF as well for backup.
Post? Westhoff? Gourdis?

seem a long way of - the three of them atm.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #646 on: August 09, 2010, 11:22:44 AM »

Anyones thoughts on seeing McGuane and Thursty down there. I like the idea but hate it seeing them contest the same marks as Jack. On 2 occasions Thursty and McGuane killed the contest with there mark attempts and bringing in there opponent to Jack/Frawley one out.

Yep, made the same comment during the game myself Pope.  Wouldn't want this to happen on a regular basis - the idea of a 2-pronged forward line is exactly that - have 2 independent targets, not a collective target group.

Yeah agree 100%
Go Tigers!

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #647 on: August 09, 2010, 12:36:18 PM »

Anyones thoughts on seeing McGuane and Thursty down there.

Think they showed why they're defenders. ;)

Griffiths missing is the key but I'd like to think we have another alternative KPF as well for backup.
Post? Westhoff? Gourdis?

seem a long way of - the three of them atm.

I think Vickery is the go for next year, it'll be his third season. Hopefully he has a big pre-season and can cause a few headaches for opposition coaches so they stop putting 3 guys onto Riewoldt.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #648 on: August 09, 2010, 12:49:41 PM »
Are they lovers?

Who?

TM and Jackstar?

I don't think so it is more a Batman and Robin thing.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #649 on: August 09, 2010, 04:13:29 PM »
Are they lovers?

Who?

TM and Jackstar?

I don't think so it is more a Batman and Robin thing.

Lolol.
Go Tigers!

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #650 on: August 09, 2010, 06:03:47 PM »
Jacks and Connors form have dropped off at the same time, mmmmmmmmm  I wonder why ?

Gawd. ::)

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #651 on: August 09, 2010, 06:26:17 PM »
He is still young got alot of things he needs to work on but is there some we can push foward to relive pressure ? i think Newman? see how he works or what about tuck ? but face it its always gonna be double team Reiwoldt :/

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #652 on: August 10, 2010, 01:27:56 AM »
The difference now with fill-ins like McGuane and Thursty compared to when Griffiths was alongside Jack is although Griffs didn't get much of the ball himself he didn't go for the same ball as Jack and so kept his defender away from Jack. McGuane plays forward like a defender reading the flight and rushing back to get to the contest. That's fine in the backline where you need to contest but as a forward all he does is drag his opponent also to the contest. Schulz did the same thing with Richo which is why they could never work together in the same forward line.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #653 on: August 14, 2010, 03:49:40 AM »
The race for the Coleman Medal
Scott Gullan
Herald Sun
August 13, 2010 6:49PM

MATTHEW Lloyd hopes his premiership teammate Damien Hardwick takes a leaf out of the Kevin Sheedy playbook in Round 22.

The former Essendon goalkicking champion predicts the Richmond-Port Adelaide clash - written off by most as a non-event, given it has no bearing on the finals - will take on new meaning when Tigers youngster Jack Riewoldt is shooting for the Coleman Medal.

With three games remaining and only a goal separating Riewoldt and Western Bulldogs spearhead Barry Hall, Lloyd anticipates a story similar to 2004, when he was pitted head-to-head with St Kilda's Fraser Gehrig in the final round.

After Gehrig kicked four goals on the Saturday to take his season tally to 90, Lloyd showed up at Etihad Stadium 24 hours later knowing he needed to kick seven against the Western Bulldogs to claim the title.

"I remember the boys just cleared out the forward line because I needed seven to beat Fraser Gehrig in the last game, but I ended up with six," Lloyd recalled during the week.

"It was something our club embraced. Sheeds embraced it, as did the players. We all loved it.

''I think with Jack they should be encouraging it because they haven't had much success and I think it would be good for Richmond if he could go on and win it."

Given Hall will play against Essendon the night before at Etihad Stadium, Riewoldt will know when he runs out against Port exactly how many goals he needs to become the Tigers' first Coleman Medal winner since Michael Roach in 1981.

But Hardwick might be the fly in the ointment. The Tigers coach already has stated he doesn't see the benefit of individual awards, given the team culture he is trying to create at Punt Rd.

Lloyd argues that the excitement the feat would generate for Riewoldt's teammates and the club far outweighs the negatives.

Lloyd won the first of three Coleman Medals in 2000 when he was 22. Riewoldt turns 22 in October.

"One of the best things I have ever done was win it (the Coleman)," Lloyd said. "As a young player you should be encouraged to look at these things, I mean, I grew up idolising Bernie Quinlan and wanting to be the best goalkicker.

"It's not all about the individual because I didn't play outside the team rules when I won it. It's a big fillip for a team when it happens.

"Look, to kick the most goals in the AFL competition, while it doesn't compare with winning a Grand Final, on an individual note it was one of the greatest thrills I've had.

"Given Jack is in the 15th-ranked side and to stand up all through that - even when he might have started slowly and the last few weeks have been a bit slow - over a 10-week period he was clearly the best forward in the game.

"So he fully deserves the honour."

However, while his heart is with Riewoldt, Lloyd is tipping Hall to snag his first Coleman at age 33.

"I think Hall's consistency could get him home," Lloyd said. "I think just the way the Bulldogs are starting to steamroll teams, he will get more opportunities and just the weight of numbers and being more experienced will get him over the line."

Hall has two games at his favourite hunting ground, Etihad Stadium, either side of a visit to his former stomping ground, the SCG.

The Bulldogs full-forward averages four goals a game at Etihad Stadium, where he has scored 44 of his 65 goals. He also has kicked 30 behinds in his 18 games this year.

Riewoldt plays against Carlton at the MCG today and then has two Etihad games - against St Kilda and Port Adelaide.

He has kicked 37 of his 66 goals in 11 games at the MCG but, in a major positive, his two games at Etihad this year have reaped 11.4.

The most exciting finish to the Coleman in recent years happened in 2008, when Hawthorn's Lance Franklin and Carlton's Brendan Fevola went head-to-head in the same game.

Franklin started six goals clear and needed only two to reach 100. He did that in the opening quarter and finished with five.

The showdown seemed like a non-event before Fevola steamed home with seven goals in the second half to finish on 99.

Both were named in the All-Australian team with Jack Riewoldt's cousin, Nick, at centre half-forward.

Given those three are unlikely to figure this year and another regular, Jonathan Brown, has missed much of the season through injury, Hall and Jack Riewoldt will feature prominently in All-Australian calculations.

Some punters are also smiling - Jack Riewoldt started the year at 500-1 for the Coleman, and was still that quote after eight rounds. Hall was a juicy $17 when markets opened.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-race-for-the-coleman-medal/story-e6frf9jf-1225905048188

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #654 on: August 14, 2010, 03:52:04 AM »
Easy, Tiger
CAROLINE WILSON
August 14, 2010

JACK Riewoldt is a reluctant interviewee. Although words and opinions come as naturally to this emerging Tigers star as goals did in that break-out game against West Coast in June, he has been as keen in recent weeks to muzzle himself as Damien Hardwick was when he kicked his 10 against the Eagles.

Riewoldt is a smart 21-year-old who respects his own shortcomings as much as he respects football. He is concerned he will come across as a big head, an individualistic type among a team determined to reinvent itself and, in turn, the battered reputation of the Richmond Football Club.

And, of course, he hasn't been happy with his recent form. The goals have dried up of late after a sizzling 43-goal, eight-game mid-season haul, and while he still leads the Coleman Medal count, the tally has intensified into a two-horse race between the veteran Barry Hall and the young Tiger who has burst into the elite landscape in his fourth year at Richmond.

"The coach was probably trying to protect me," he said of Hardwick's self-described "rookie-coach error" in banning his full-forward from talking to AFL broadcasters after he became the first footballer in more than three years to kick double figures in a game. "Because I do have the ability to go on about myself at length."

Riewoldt, the oldest of three boys, jokes he would deal better with the goalkicking situation if his youngest brother Charlie, 17, back home in Hobart would get off his back about winning it.

"I'd love to win it," he said. "If you asked any player in the competition, they'd say the same. And I'm in a situation where I'm a chance. If it happens, it happens, but if not, it's not the end of the world. I would happily give up three goals a game for the next three weeks if we could end the season on nine wins."

Hardwick could see that the goals — or lack thereof — were playing mind games with Riewoldt, and last week the coach took him aside for a talk.

Hardwick said: "The Coleman is very much an individual award so I just asked Jack what he'd rather win: A Coleman or a best and fairest. He said a best and fairest, so I asked him where he thought he was going to get votes from the coaching staff, because it wasn't going to come from the goals.

"I just told him if he did the small things, the goals would come. I think perhaps he had settled into a bit of a comfort zone in the goal square, but I think last week he made some small steps towards those small things."

Hardwick also reminded Riewoldt that he was on track to win the Michael Roach Medal as Richmond's leading goalkicker — two more goals this season would see him become the highest goalkicker at the club since Matthew Richardson kicked 91 14 years ago.

Hardwick described Riewoldt as a "belter" whom he always rated but who has improved significantly this season. His former coach, Tasmanian VFL teammate and close friend Jade Rawlings, who worked closely with Riewoldt on his marking last season, paid tribute to the coaching group at Richmond for his progress this year.

"I always thought he'd be a fantastic second tall who was capable of 40 or 50 goals a year," said Rawlings, "but he has shown a lot more this year. What we worked on last year was all about a combination of timing and whether or not to neutralise the contest or place himself in the dominant position to take the mark.

"That's what he thrived on in junior footy and he was always a smart kid. I played with him when he made the Tassie VFL side, which was our affiliate then at North (Melbourne). He needed a whack on the head at times to knock him down a bit but he always bounced back and understood why he'd been whacked."

And yet Riewoldt needn't have worried about how he would come across in this, a rare in-depth interview, in which he combines charm, self-deprecation and enthusiasm — particularly self-deprecation.

Although the club has privately defended Riewoldt's emotional on-field behaviour in recent weeks, insisting that he is not performing dummy spits but simply attempting to direct traffic and adhere to the game plan, Riewoldt said the above was a generous assessment.

"I do wear my heart on my sleeve," he said, "and I do get frustrated, but I've got to take control of that because I look like a idiot when I do it. It's brought up in the media and it's shown again and again in team meetings.

"I do believe I have a good understanding of the game and the game plan but sometimes those things are better done in private than in public. Someone like Dustin Martin doesn't need me having a go at him during a game. That's not something he benefits from — not that he would ever complain about it."

Riewoldt described 2010 for both him and his club as one of steep learning curves and a season punctuated with ups and downs. The darkest hour for Richmond came after round three when the club had suffered its third straight loss under Hardwick, a thrashing at the hands of Sydney, and it emerged that a drunken Daniel Connors — Riewoldt's closest friend at the club — had run rampant through his Sydney hotel after a session with teammates Luke McGuane, Dean Polo and Ben Cousins.

Those who had been at Richmond for several years were not surprised that it was Riewoldt who took charge at several stages of a robust and confrontational team meeting on the Monday that followed. But chief executive Brendon Gale, a relative newcomer who was still learning about the playing group, was struck by Riewoldt's leadership.

"I've always been pretty vocal," said Riewoldt. "And I think the best clubs are teams that can coach themselves, but that was a big one for me.

"It's hard to confront a guy like Ben Cousins and challenge him. I mean he's Ben Cousins and he has this aura. And it was hard confronting my best mate and telling him: 'You've got a problem, mate, and you need to do something about it.' "

Connors and Riewoldt had driven home from Melbourne airport together after the Sydney debacle and the shattered Connors predicted to his friend that he would be delisted the following day. ''It hit him pretty hard,'' said Riewoldt, ''and it hit his family pretty hard too.''

Riewoldt, fearful of how his friend would cope with the news of his eight-week suspension, dined with Connors on the night of the decision and spoke with him every day for the next eight weeks. ''I'm absolutely rapt with the way he handled it and I couldn't be more proud of him. It's probably been a bit of a turning point for everyone.

''But the big factor is our captain (Chris Newman). He's the one who's made the difference. He's really leading us and if he's not a natural-born leader then he's worked hard to become one. If he's not alongside Kane Johnson then he's ahead of him and he's definitely become the best captain in the AFL, I believe.''

Riewoldt's toughest time personally was the scrutiny he received after Fox Sports aired half-time vision during its round-five telecast of the Richmond-Fremantle game. Commentator Brian Taylor said that Riewoldt was the only forward not listening to coach Danny Daly. The vision has aired several times and initially floored Riewoldt, who still appears mortified and mystified at how distracted he appeared.

''I had to apologise to Danny Daly, the forward-line coach, because it just looked so bad,'' offered Riewoldt. ''He said I had nothing to apologise for. He said he knew I was listening and I'm sure I was looking at an injured finger at the time.

''It was a non-issue where the club was concerned but I learned a lot about myself and dealing with things about how situations can portray you in a certain light.''

Although Riewoldt is talking to The Age not after a win but a loss, he insists it has been impossible not to love what is happening this year at his football club. ''You look at guys like Ben Griffiths, who hasn't played in a loss,'' he began before getting on a roll, ''and Robbie Hicks (another first-year player who kicked his first goal last week) and the form of guys like Shane Tuck and Trent (Cotchin), and 'Cuzzy' (Cousins) after a win, when he just goes crazy.

''We relied on 'Richo' and Kane (Johnson) and Nathan Brown and Joel (Bowden) to win us games for so long and to see guys like Brett Deledio and Dustin Martin do it now it's just an exciting prospect although it's hard to be patient sometimes.''

Of his own form he says only: ''I felt I was letting the club down with my marking because that was something I prided myself on in junior footy - taking pack marks. I've just worked really hard with the coaches and I've been lucky enough to take a few this year.''

But it is when talking about Hardwick that Riewoldt is at his most colourful. ''I know we're not winning many games but he has just made footy so exciting,'' said Riewoldt. ''I get pretty upset after a loss and then we'll go to a team meeting and the thing about Damien, he's just so positive.

''He'll say: 'Look boys, I know we lost and we're disappointed but look what we did wrong and how we could have beaten them. Just imagine the room for improvement.' He'll go through all the areas where we can work on and fix and he always has this sparkle in his eye.

''It's sort of like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and he's Willy Wonka and Richmond is the chocolate factory and we're the kids going through the factory. There's just that little bit of magic in the air.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/easy-tiger-20100813-12388.html

Ramps

« Reply #655 on: August 14, 2010, 10:56:45 AM »
Easy, Tiger
CAROLINE WILSON
August 14, 2010

But it is when talking about Hardwick that Riewoldt is at his most colourful. ''I know we're not winning many games but he has just made footy so exciting,'' said Riewoldt. ''I get pretty upset after a loss and then we'll go to a team meeting and the thing about Damien, he's just so positive.

''He'll say: 'Look boys, I know we lost and we're disappointed but look what we did wrong and how we could have beaten them. Just imagine the room for improvement.' He'll go through all the areas where we can work on and fix and he always has this sparkle in his eye.

''It's sort of like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and he's Willy Wonka and Richmond is the chocolate factory and we're the kids going through the factory. There's just that little bit of magic in the air.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/easy-tiger-20100813-12388.html

What a quote lol  ;D

Ox

« Reply #656 on: August 14, 2010, 11:29:08 AM »
gay

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #657 on: August 14, 2010, 05:42:14 PM »
i think Dimma forgets that its this kid who brings the crowed not the team .

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #658 on: August 15, 2010, 03:09:55 AM »
Well Jack is still leading the Coleman by one thanks to the goals drying up for Barry Hall as well over the past two weeks. Jack will need to kick a few in the last two rounds though with the Dogs playing the Bombers in round 22 who leak goals like a sieve. Jack will have the advantage of playing on the Sunday against Port knowing what he'll need.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #659 on: August 15, 2010, 05:32:28 AM »
'Give Jack Riewoldt fair go'
Tony Sheahan
Sunday Herald Sun
August 15, 2010

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick has called on the umpires for a fair go following yesterday's mauling by Carlton.

Hardwick was not only appalled by his charges' display against a hungry Blues outfit, he was as angry at a number of umpiring decisions.

He singled out treatment to Tigers spearhead Jack Riewoldt, who was manhandled all day but failed to receive a free kick, and a mind-boggling free awarded to Lachlan Henderson against Brett Deledio.

Carlton led the free kick count 29-18.

"I think poor old Jack is struggling at the moment," Hardwick said after the game. "I've actually got to go and see the umpires at some stage."

The frustrated Tigers coach stopped short of a fine, but the message was crystal clear: Look after for the forwards.

"Like most bits of play, I think you could pull out a number of free kicks from every bit of play you look at closely," he said.

"I think what we've got to do is bring some attention to the powers that be to have a look at it, because Jack is a great player.

"We want to see the good players protected. We want to see them get their just rewards.

"We don't want to see them being manhandled and looked after. We just want them to play on equal terms."

Riewoldt had a shocker with just one disposal to halftime.

But Hardwick would not lay blame squarely on the shoulders of his usually potent key forward.

"Our forwards got caught a little too high up the ground. They couldn't get back to equalise numbers, so that did hurt us," he said. "We didn't use the ball well enough."

Deledio was another singled out by the umpires yesterday, in particular during the first quarter.

Frustration got the better of him after Henderson marked and goaled, with the Carlton big man asking where Deledio was during the marking contest.

Deledio then wiped the face of Henderson with a towel. The umpires saw the harmless exchange, but deemed it serious enough to award Henderson another kick at goal.

"Was that a free kick? Yeah, geez, I don't know," Hardwick said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/give-jack-riewoldt-fair-go/story-e6frf9jf-1225905310899