Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 462896 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #660 on: August 21, 2010, 04:59:25 PM »
Jack now 8 ahead in the Coleman  :thumbsup. Whispers too during the week that Hall has that virus going around the Kennel.

Jack      75
Hall       67
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 10:02:18 PM by one-eyed »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #661 on: August 21, 2010, 10:11:37 PM »
Barry Hall only kicked two goal tonight so Jack is pretty much home for the Coleman you would think unless Hall kicks 10 against the Bombers next week. Six goals is a pretty big buffer with just one game to go.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #662 on: August 22, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
Only thing the Bombers can be counted on is to disappoint. 

C'mon Jack bring it home with a big bag against Port

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #663 on: August 22, 2010, 07:23:51 AM »
Playing against the Bumbers Hall could kick 16!

They couldn't stop little Le Cras kicking 12
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

jackstar is back again

« Reply #664 on: August 22, 2010, 07:27:22 AM »
Playing against the Bumbers Hall could kick 16!

They couldn't stop little Le Cras kicking 12

Correct

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #665 on: August 22, 2010, 09:59:05 AM »
Fletcher is out for the year.  The only good thing is that Hall plays the bombers before we play port

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #666 on: August 22, 2010, 10:01:52 AM »
When you look at stats other than the 'G' column it really becomes clear what a good seasons he's had. His tackling numbers are phenomenal.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #667 on: August 22, 2010, 12:40:20 PM »
l was one who said Rewoldt was weak & going backwards & with his attitude is going nowhere.
Its about time his pulled his head in & give something back. l'm not peeing in his pockets until he puts a season together.

And the award for worst call goes to...

Is a Coleman medal at 21 good enough TM?

Fail lol.
Go Tigers!

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #668 on: August 22, 2010, 04:31:43 PM »
I don't think the Dogs would be feeding Hall the ball to win a Coleman medal, they're just desperate for a win.

Maybe if they're 10 goals up at 3/4 time they might try to give him a few cheapies.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #669 on: August 23, 2010, 02:10:04 PM »
Now I know that Jurrah and Goddard took good marks, but I hope the selectors don't get carried away just because they're freshest in memory and don't even look at some of Jacks.

The ones Jack took against St Kilda and Brisbane are just as good as the two taken on the weekend.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #670 on: August 23, 2010, 03:40:28 PM »
Runs in the family
By Leigh Matthews
Mon 23 August, 2010

LAST Saturday when the third-placed St Kilda had a comfortable, if not totally convincing win over the 15th-placed Richmond, there was one unusual common denominator: both teams had a dominating Riewoldt.

During the 3AW call it was not sufficient to use the Riewoldt surname, it needed to be prefaced with either Nick or Jack.

It is a name clarification that is going to be necessary in many future games because Jack looks like joining Nick as one of footy's elite forwards.

While the cousins share the same surname, they are very different athletes.

The AFL Guide lists the 27-year-old Nick at a 193cm tall, and the 21-year-old Jack at 195cm.

On the field Nick looks significantly taller because of the optical illusion created by his longer legs, whereas Jack's height comes from a long body and shorter legs.

In athletic terms, Nick is built like a 400m runner with that long, loping stride that allows him to charge around the Saints' forward half with the rare mix of speed, stamina and marking power.

Forget he suffered a bad hamstring injury early this season. The Saints' captain comeback is complete and he is now back to his pre-injury form and fitness.

Frankly, Jack does not look to have any outstanding athletic gifts except for a quick burst of acceleration on the lead, a big leap and very good balance thanks to a body shape that provides a low centre of gravity.

It would appear that Jack is the typical full-forward, more in the mould of Alastair Lynch or  Jason Dunstall, than the Jonathan Brown or Dermott Brereton-like centre half-forward.

His strengths are footy related and more valuable closer to goal where his great judgment, strong hands and quick reactions look like earning him this year's Coleman Medal.

His goalkicking form has been a massive improvement from 2009.

Last Saturday was the first time I have seen the two Riewoldts in the same game. Both Nick and Jack were terrific with 21 marks and 14 shots on goal between them.

In 2004, Nick was the first Riewoldt to be selected in the All-Australian team, and this year cousin Jack should be the second.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/100899/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #671 on: August 23, 2010, 11:14:03 PM »
Another first for Jack
richmondfc.com.au
By Tony Greenberg
10:31 PM Mon 23 August, 2010

Star Richmond spearhead Jack Riewoldt continues to keep the football historians diving for their record books . . .

Last Saturday, Riewoldt became the first Tiger player to win the Ian Stewart Medal, when the Channel Ten commentators voted him best on ground following his superb seven-goal display in the team’s 21-point loss to St Kilda at Etihad Stadium.  And, Riewoldt is the first key forward to take ‘Stewie’ home since the medal’s inception in 2004.

Previous winners of the Ian Stewart Medal were:

2004 - Austinn Jones, St Kilda
2005 - Nick Dal Santo, St Kilda
2006 - Lenny Hayes, St Kilda
2007 - Leigh Montagna, St Kilda
2008 - Stephen Milne, St Kilda
2009 - Brendon Goddard, St Kilda

The Ian Stewart Medal was struck six years ago, in recognition of the only player in league football history to win Brownlow Medals and premierships at two clubs.

Stewart played 127 games with St Kilda from 1963-70. He also won back-to-back Brownlow Medals with the Saints in 1965-66, and was a member of their only premiership side, in 1966.

In 1971, Stewart joined Richmond in a sensational swap for dual Tiger premiership player Bill Barrot.

‘Stewie’ went on to play 78 games with Richmond from 1971-75. He won the Brownlow Medal in his debut season with the Tigers, as well as the Club’s Best and Fairest award that year.

Two years later, he was a key member of the Richmond side that defeated Carlton by 30 points in the 1973 Grand Final.

“While individual medals are certainly not a focus of mine, it’s a great honor to win a medal that recognises one of the game’s all-time greats, and a Tasmanian, too,” Riewoldt said.

“Obviously, I never got the chance to see Ian play, but I am fully aware of what a brilliant footballer he was, and the impact he had at both St Kilda and Richmond during his league career.”

Riewoldt’s seven-goal haul against the Saints last Saturday took his season’s tally to 75 - six ahead of his nearest rival, Bulldog Barry Hall, in the race for the 2010 Coleman Medal, with just one round remaining.

If Riewoldt wins the Coleman Medal, would become the first Richmond player to do so since Michael Roach went back-to-back in 1980-81.

Roach was the Tigers’ first winner of the Coleman Medal (presented by the league since 1955, the year after the great John Coleman retired), in 1980, with 107 goals in the home-and-away rounds.  He booted a further five in the finals series, for an all-up season’s total of 112.  And, Roach took out the competition’s leading goalkicker award again in 1981, with 86 goals for the home-and-away season.

Before then, you had to go all the way back to 1940 to find the previous time a Tiger topped the league’s goalkicking at the end of the home-and-away rounds.  That was when Jack Titus scored 92 home-and-away goals in the ’40 season, and a further eight in the finals series, to chalk up the ton (100 goals exactly).

Three years earlier, Dick Harris took out the competition’s leading goalkicker award, with 64 goals in the home-and-away rounds.  In 1943, Harris finished 10 goals behind Melbourne’s Fred Fanning at the end of the home-and-away season, with 52, but kicked 11 in the finals series, as the Tigers took out the premiership, to finish with a total of 63 goals and the No. 1 spot on the competition’s goalkicking table.

In 1920, the year of Richmond’s inaugural premiership in the then VFL competition, George Bayliss became the first Tiger to top the goalkicking, with 62 goals in the home-and-away season.

Roach, Titus, Harris and Bayliss are the only Richmond players to have won the competition’s leading goalkicker award.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/101017/default.aspx

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #672 on: August 23, 2010, 11:26:57 PM »
Could be our third great 'Jack'.

Nearly enough for a pack of cards.

We've had a few kings too - Jake, Clinton and Rex Hunt if you took Latin.

God knows we've had a few queens over the last couple of decades too.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #673 on: August 24, 2010, 09:00:17 AM »
Mark McQueen

Tigermonk

« Reply #674 on: August 26, 2010, 05:43:28 PM »
l was one who said Rewoldt was weak & going backwards & with his attitude is going nowhere.
Its about time his pulled his head in & give something back. l'm not peeing in his pockets until he puts a season together.

And the award for worst call goes to...

Is a Coleman medal at 21 good enough TM?

Fail lol.

your a idiot.
he could be the next Raines for all you know stuffwit