Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 462908 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #870 on: April 29, 2011, 08:52:22 PM »
Jack's ALPHA magazine interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igolr10hTSg

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #871 on: May 01, 2011, 08:16:51 PM »
Jack and Franklin are now equal favourites for the Coleman with the bookies.

J.Riewoldt     21
Franklin        18
Cloke            16
Dawes          14
Garlett          14
A.Walker       13
T.Walker       13
J.King           11
Martin           10

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #872 on: May 01, 2011, 08:20:59 PM »
Jack and Franklin are now equal favourites for the Coleman with the bookies.

J.Riewoldt     21
Franklin        18
Cloke            16
Dawes          14
Garlett          14
A.Walker       13
T.Walker       13
J.King           11
Martin           10

How much better does that look after 5 rounds compared to Round 22 2010 when Andy Collins was 2nd on our goalkicking list with 15.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #873 on: May 01, 2011, 08:30:22 PM »
Great isn't it, King has really stepped up this year.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #874 on: May 04, 2011, 02:36:20 PM »
In praise of players with personality
BigPond Sport
By Nick Place
Wednesday, May 04, 2011

The scene is Saturday night at a rocking MCG, moments after Richmond has recorded its second win in a row - a significant achievement at any time for this rebuilding bunch of Tigers.

The team might be edging towards football respectability at last, but not so much that ever-loyal supporters take for granted the chance to sing that brilliant anthem. In the stands, the fans are in full voice.

The players, understandably spent, stagger towards the centre circle, having shaken hands with their Lion opponents. The Tigers can barely lift their legs. Yet as the famous song reaches its crescendo, one player raises his left arm to the sky and pumps it in time with the words. YELLOW (fist pump) and BLACK! (fist pump).

You already know it's got to be Jack Riewoldt.

Just a small moment, but so telling. Jack connected to the fans, even as he walks to join his teammates. Jack revelling in that song, living in the moment, sharing his joy.

Jack's emotion is so much a part of the package that the Tigers love. This is a guy who has been known before the bounce to wish goal umpires a good game. This is a player who would give his slightly better-known cousin, Nick, plenty of stick before he had any right to. Richmond figured early that this was just the nature of the kid, that he needed to be an extrovert. And that this was a great trait for what had been a very quiet, meek, unsuccessful team.

A large part of Richmond's improvement is the willingness of Jack, Trent Cotchin and Dustin Martin, among others, to back themselves; to believe.

During the kerfuffle earlier this year about Riewoldt's body language and supposed criticism of teammates, I could only think of how I wished my team had another 21 on the field who demonstrably cared so much. It's why Tiger fans also love Jake ‘Push-ups’ King.

Same with Matthew Richardson, Richmond's previous star with a personality so big the forward line could barely contain it. How can you not want your players to be so passionate for the jumper?

I love characters in football, yet every time one sticks his head up, earnest media and former-players-turned-commentators can't get in line fast enough to 'tut-tut'.

Even off the park, we secretly hate personality in our stars; I have no idea why. Remember Geelong's James Kelly pretending to be asleep as the camera panned around the Cats singing their club song after a win a year ago? Oh dear, what a sign of a terrible culture at Kardinia Park … arrogance, superiority … or, hang on, a funny sight gag.

All those ex-players now sitting in judgment should know better than most that the televised singing of the song in the rooms is a contractual obligation, and part of the existing TV deal. I kid you not.

What about when Aker was a good bloke, without the post-career need to be controversial and, well, shrill? His post-victory handstands in the Lions' glory years were fantastic.

And Collingwood appears to have no qualms about allowing Harry O a personality, thanks to his mastery of his Twitter account and comments such as he'd be happy to meet Barack Obama if he ever came to town. I also miss the old Tadhg Kennelly, along with stunts like his brilliant impromptu riverdance on the premiership podium.

I say we celebrate Jack Riewoldt and his like, even if they do occasionally wave arms at a teammate who has screwed up once too often. You can bet that when that teammate gets it right, Jack will be the first one there to celebrate with him. And celebrate loud.

I'd much rather watch that than a gaggle of robots in yellow sashes.

http://www.bigpondsport.com/in-praise-of-players-with-personality/tabid/91/newsid/70983/default.aspx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #875 on: May 07, 2011, 11:54:32 PM »
Jack's degree of difficulty with his speccies is going a bit over the top  ;D :wallywink

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #877 on: May 08, 2011, 12:21:03 AM »
Funny

http://www.afl.com.au/Video/tabid/76/contentid/352313/riewoldt+falls+hard/Default.aspx

He could have knocked himself out twice in a month with that horizontal bodyslam landing :wallywink.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #878 on: May 08, 2011, 12:02:43 PM »
Jack's degree of difficulty with his speccies is going a bit over the top  ;D :wallywink

Love his expression. "Ohhhhh ... poo" (of course I didn't type poo)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #879 on: May 08, 2011, 04:05:22 PM »

Hate to rain on people's parades but it was a bloody stupid thing to do to be honest no need to be trying to take mark of the century ever week... could have suffered a very nasty injury
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

10 FLAGS

« Reply #880 on: May 08, 2011, 04:09:50 PM »
Its heart in mouth stuff when you see him flying like that.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #881 on: May 08, 2011, 04:10:17 PM »
Jack's degree of difficulty with his speccies is going a bit over the top  ;D :wallywink

Hate to rain on people's parades but it was a bloody stupid thing to do to be honest no need to be trying to take mark of the century ever week... could have suffered a very nasty injury
He was pushed/tunnelled

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #882 on: May 08, 2011, 04:14:14 PM »
He was pushed/tunnelled

Someone mentioned that to me after the game, having watched it a couple of times I reckon he got a lit shove but I wouldn't call it being "tunnelled" but it is subjective I suppose
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #883 on: May 08, 2011, 04:17:08 PM »
unless he was trying to kick the ball in mid air he got a shove!
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #884 on: May 08, 2011, 04:19:49 PM »

I wouldnt be telling Jack Riewoldt to stop flying for marks.