Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 462872 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #900 on: May 16, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »
Not sure if it was the new boots or getting annoyed at what going on up the field but Jack seemed very frustrated out there today and not his usual self. It probably says heaps about his natural talent that the last two weeks he can be well held by his direct opponent yet still yeak out 4 goals in both games to continue to lead the Coleman medal.

Very heavy checking on Jack the last two weeks, MT.  Umps not the least interested.

As well as having his run at the ball blocked, he's getting manhandled in the contest and a fair bit of arm chopping.

Needs to get on his bike and play hit-up for a week or so.

So difficult to play a lead up forward now days muscles. With all the zones, floods and opposition in defense there is little room/space to lead into anymore which is why the tall marking forward so now so important. Unfortunely for Jack (and us!), opposition teams are now putting two players on him - one to wrestle and the other to block his run or effect a spoil. Makes his job all the more difficult and why the development/role of Vickery, Miller and eventually Griffiths is so important to create forward targets and take the focus off Jack. Jack's role this year is as much about bringing the ball to ground for our crumbers and creating the pressure required to cause spills or keep the ball locked in the F50.

Very difficult for tall forwards now days

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #901 on: May 16, 2011, 07:17:21 PM »
he is being tunneled every game as well. The league need to look into it.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

TigerTimeII

« Reply #902 on: May 16, 2011, 08:13:48 PM »
he is being tunneled every game as well. The league need to look into it.

effin oath

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #903 on: May 29, 2011, 03:40:51 AM »
I know Jack is still kicking his 3-4 goals each week which means he is still doing his job but for mine he's been well held in recent weeks by his direct opponent. Not sure if it is because of the slight injury/niggle he is carrying or the fact we were one-dimensional  and predictable last night in going to him more often and not and opposition clubs double teaming him. Two of his three goals came in junk time late in the game IIRC. If it's a niggle then the bye has come at a good time.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #904 on: May 29, 2011, 09:54:02 AM »
I reckon Jack is getting caught up in the old Carey syndrome of getting sucked into one on one wrestles instead of leading.

It might be because of his calf, but it is certainly not because of defensive pressure as there were a couple of times last night when Martin had it on a quick transition and Jack still sat at the top of the square and called for the bomb, despite having room inside 50 to lead.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #905 on: May 29, 2011, 12:44:11 PM »
I reckon Jack is getting caught up in the old Carey syndrome of getting sucked into one on one wrestles instead of leading.

It might be because of his calf, but it is certainly not because of defensive pressure as there were a couple of times last night when Martin had it on a quick transition and Jack still sat at the top of the square and called for the bomb, despite having room inside 50 to lead.

Totally agree. Jack has not been that lead up forward of last year the last month. He has stayed at home to much and just wants the ball to be bombed long to him. But the worst thing is, he is not even jumping at it anymore. Last year and earlier this year he was flying for everything and i was critical of that at the time but now he resuses to lead. The Bulldogs game was the worst. Many times he had opportunities to get on this bike and lead but preferred to stay close to the goal square and try and crumb goals. The fact that he has been kicking his 3 and 4 crumbing goals has hidden the fact he is terribly out of form. IMO over the next two weeks with the bye in there, Dimma needs to reprogramme him into leading up, either marking or making a contest so the like of Nahas and King can do their jobs.

the claw

« Reply #906 on: May 29, 2011, 12:50:17 PM »
have thought for awhile now he doesnt get involved enough. reckon the fact hes manged to scrap a few goals each week has covered over areas he needs to put a fair bit of work into.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #907 on: May 29, 2011, 01:16:23 PM »
his form is just Jreadful at the moment...only goals he kicks are the chepies that should be the icing on the cake...where are his stock and trade FF goals... ???
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #908 on: May 30, 2011, 10:31:24 AM »
Despite everyone raving about Buddy's form, Jack, even out of form, is still leading the Coleman...

J.Riewoldt      36
L.Franklin      35
J.Kennedy     29
L.Jurrah        22

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #909 on: May 30, 2011, 10:33:34 AM »
You'd expect Buddy to overtake him now we have the bye

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #910 on: May 30, 2011, 11:00:40 AM »
You'd expect Buddy to overtake him now we have the bye

If Buddy has a run of 4-5 games where he actually kicks straight, he'll put a lot of distance between himself and Jack.

He has kicked 35.34  :o

Jack 36.9
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #911 on: May 30, 2011, 12:00:01 PM »
Have to agree with everyone here. Jack just looks completely out of form. I'm not sure if it is an injury, lack of confidence or perhaps learning a new forward set up directed by the coaches but he doesn't look the player he was only a year past dispite leading the Coleman. Perhpas he has been asked to stay in and around the goalsquare to leave room for Vickery, Miller and the misquito fleet room to lead and crumb?

Whatever the reason I hope the break gives him the time to rediscover what made him the star of the league last year - his leap and contested marking.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #912 on: June 01, 2011, 02:41:21 AM »

Totally agree. Jack has not been that lead up forward of last year the last month. He has stayed at home to much and just wants the ball to be bombed long to him. But the worst thing is, he is not even jumping at it anymore. Last year and earlier this year he was flying for everything and i was critical of that at the time but now he resuses to lead. The Bulldogs game was the worst. Many times he had opportunities to get on this bike and lead but preferred to stay close to the goal square and try and crumb goals. The fact that he has been kicking his 3 and 4 crumbing goals has hidden the fact he is terribly out of form. IMO over the next two weeks with the bye in there, Dimma needs to reprogramme him into leading up, either marking or making a contest so the like of Nahas and King can do their jobs.
Agree with this BT. Didn't Jack have a finger op over preseason? I wonder if that is also having an effect on his confidence with leading on top of the niggle in his calf.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #913 on: June 01, 2011, 06:54:41 AM »
Jack looked good the other week when he was released and played up forward a bit more.

I actually thought they should have tried that last week in Darwin

Should have moved Miller to the goal square and used Jack up as the lead up HF.

The other problem we had on Sat was Vickery had a poor game, looked like he had lead in his legs  :P
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #914 on: June 01, 2011, 07:59:56 AM »
I think people are being overly critical of Jack here.

To me his role has changed slightly, as Hardwick indicated it would at the start of the year.

He is after still the leading goal kicker in the league, despite often playing a foil type role to allow the other forwards space.

Not only is he kicking goals he is also creating goals for other players, directly and indirectly.

The bottom line is that we have a bigger spread of goal kickers and more importantly are kicking more goals, as a team

(Didnt he kick most of his goals from one on one contests last year, rather than a lead up type role?)
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI