Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 462872 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #945 on: June 26, 2011, 08:45:00 PM »
Find it very strange some so called supporters are bagging Jack.

Pathetic to be honest, bloke goes out of form and his penalty should be death.

Weak as pee from the useless chicken hearts.
Go Tigers!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #946 on: June 26, 2011, 08:58:35 PM »

What the? You can't be serious Pope

Is Jack immune from being criticised?

Facts are he is horribly out of form & down on confidence has been for weeks now. Against a really good opponent yesterday it shone through like a beacon. What do we do?

I think it is fair & reasonable to say & raise the question question if he was any other player, would he be dropped?

I dont' think I've bagged Jack, if you want to see me bag someone have read of what I've posted today about Grigg ...now that's bagging from me 

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #947 on: June 26, 2011, 11:45:54 PM »
Should not be dropped as he has 2nd most goals in afl this season

are you going to replace him with westhoff?

Ox

« Reply #948 on: June 27, 2011, 02:53:34 AM »
Cracked the poos because VIckery is getting attention.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #949 on: June 27, 2011, 09:03:34 AM »
Rubbish.  He gets mugged every game now, they are all over him and you see them screaming in his face and niggling him trying to get under his skin.  He will ride it out, he isn't getting as much ball sent his way but he is still making things happen and still kicking goals, no sweat here at all.  Least of our worries, the rest of the team worries me more, the backline in particular.
Lots of people name their swords......

Tigermonk

« Reply #950 on: June 27, 2011, 09:27:05 AM »
Rubbish.  He gets mugged every game now, they are all over him and you see them screaming in his face and niggling him trying to get under his skin.  He will ride it out, he isn't getting as much ball sent his way but he is still making things happen and still kicking goals, no sweat here at all.  Least of our worries, the rest of the team worries me more, the backline in particular.

Maybe the opposition scream in his face & niggle him because they watch him. His getting back what he does to his own players. little Richo was what l was hearing in the MCC all day. He needs to pull his head in & play the football people give him credit for & know what he can do, then Rewoldt & Vickery will do damage. No good trying to take a specy all day over a 200cm giant  ;D His kicking stinks at present like his attitude. Vickery on the other hand is getting the attention, but his attitude is great & his focused.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #951 on: June 27, 2011, 11:01:27 PM »
BT defended Jack on 3aw tonight. Talked about how Jack is giving more goals away with 20 goal assists this year compared to 8 last year. Dimma in the video email mentioned the same thing saying Jack needed to kick less goals for us to win and for the other forwards' development (eg: Vickery). Dimma said Jack's defensive efforts are down slightly this year while David King on 3aw said he was exposed by Frawley for a lack of pace.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #952 on: June 27, 2011, 11:18:54 PM »

What the? You can't be serious Pope

Is Jack immune from being criticised?

Facts are he is horribly out of form & down on confidence has been for weeks now. Against a really good opponent yesterday it shone through like a beacon. What do we do?

I think it is fair & reasonable to say & raise the question question if he was any other player, would he be dropped?

I dont' think I've bagged Jack, if you want to see me bag someone have read of what I've posted today about Grigg ...now that's bagging from me 

Jack isn't immune from anything, but there is a line between criticism and abuse. We aren't Essendon.

Has been very poor since Dreamtime.

Port was poor = As was the whole team, in wet/duey rubbish Darwin conditions
Sydney was poor = Again wet conditions
Brisbane was average = No real excuse.
Worst game for a while against Melbourne = Frawley matches up very very well on him.

Not making excuses as he has been seriously below his pass mark, but lets have some sort of perspective before we criticize let alone abuse.

Kicked 6 against Carlton last game, more spotlight on Vickery possibly no Jamieson. Be interested to see how he goes.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #953 on: June 27, 2011, 11:20:57 PM »
BT defended Jack on 3aw tonight. Talked about how Jack is giving more goals away with 20 goal assists this year compared to 8 last year. Dimma in the video email mentioned the same thing saying Jack needed to kick less goals for us to win and for the other forwards' development (eg: Vickery). Dimma said Jack's defensive efforts are down slightly this year while David King on 3aw said he was exposed by Frawley for a lack of pace.

Very interesting stat.

Puts to bed the garbage he playing for a Coleman Medal when he is averaging just under 2 goal assists per game.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #954 on: June 29, 2011, 02:36:21 AM »
Can Tigers bring old Jack back?
Michael Gleeson
June 29, 2011

JACK Riewoldt kicked six goals in round one against the team he plays again this weekend. He started the season in the same style as his Coleman Medal-winning season last year but it was an early sighting that has become increasingly rare.

Jack has not been the player he was last year.

It is partly by design and not necessarily a bad thing for Richmond; it made no secret of wanting more than one goalkicker. But allowing for that, he is below the player - and the presence - that he was last year.

Riewoldt has kicked 41 goals and sits second for goal kicking to Lance Franklin, but in his past month against modest opposition, he has yielded just eight goals.

Things have been done at the Tigers for this to happen but, just as importantly, things have been done to the Tigers for it to occur.

The press has brought more numbers folding into Richmond's forward zone but this alone does not account for the territory around Riewoldt being sucked up. Riewoldt's space and jumping space has been blocked - legally and illegally - by opposition teams more than it was last year. He is being stopped from getting at the ball to fly.

A spirited player, Riewoldt did not take it too well and sides knew that blocking and holding would have a dual effect: it would deny him a run at the ball but it also needled an emotional character.

Riewoldt has battled with knee pain but not to the extent that he has missed a training session or match. He was also cleaned up badly at training, which left him ginger last week.

In pure statistical terms, his numbers are not enormously down on last year. Significantly, his tackling inside 50 is the most notable drop - but overall they are down.

He is averaging fewer touches and two marks a game less and, importantly, is taking fewer marks inside 50 and contested marks than last year. He still ranks first in the AFL for marks on the lead, which indicates he is being pushed further up the ground to combat blocks or holds in trying to mark one-out or in a pack.

''I think people are used to him taking those strong marks, which he has not done over the last six or seven weeks,'' a club insider said. ''But he also demands a bit better of himself than he has been producing.''

Where he has got better is bringing other people into the game. He leads the AFL for scoreboard impact, a stat that combines goals kicked and scoring assists.

And this is one of the primary changes for Riewoldt and Richmond. Plainly the intent was that Jack not be the predictable ''pea'' for Richmond week in week out, and so he has sacrificed his game at times to push up the ground.

Most obviously this occurred against Brisbane a fortnight ago, when the Lions sent Matt Maguire to him and had only the under-sized Josh Drummond for Ty Vickery. Naturally, Damien Hardwick cleared out the forward line and directed all attack to be funnelled through Vickery. It worked.

Likewise, if Michael Jamison was in the side this week he would have taken Riewoldt and most likely Bret Thornton would have taken Vickery and it would have been expected that the Tigers would have hunted out Vickery more than Riewoldt.

With Jamison out, the sacrifice asked of Riewoldt will also be removed.

In round one, Riewoldt had the young and quick Simon White but he proved too clever for him and Thornton was tried. This week, Riewoldt will probably have Thornton again and possibly Lachie Henderson, who looked better last week when he went behind the ball, will be left in defence for Vickery.

This week Riewoldt will likely be the man again. But will Jack (of 2010) be back?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/can-tigers-bring-old-jack-back-20110628-1gp53.html#ixzz1QabFdCNJ

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #955 on: June 29, 2011, 02:48:01 AM »
Think Dimma has made it clear the team needs less goals from Jack.
He is still second on the goal kicking but has 20 assists compared to 7 last year.
If he was to be 10 or 20 in front we would of had no development from Vickery and to a lesser degree Martin/King etc ....
So it's all about perspective really.
Having said that I would like to see both Jack and Vicks spend the majority of one game (Maybe this one) in the forward 50 together and see how an all out 2 pronged attack goes.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #956 on: June 29, 2011, 09:03:39 AM »
I know he's getting a lot more attention, but last year he was always a chance for a mark even if he had 3 guys on him.

This season he doesn't look a chance to get his hands on it most times. He's also giving away a lot more frees (or so it seems) out of frustration.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

gerkin greg

« Reply #957 on: June 29, 2011, 09:24:11 AM »
Gets less free kicks than Richo. Kid gets scragged week in week out.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #958 on: June 29, 2011, 09:56:49 AM »
Gets less free kicks than Richo. Kid gets scragged week in week out.
You're right. Have a look at a couple of the pathetically soft frees that private school pratt Watts recieved last week. Yet when it goes down the other end you can shepherd , block , scrag and rape Jack and he gets nothing.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Tigermonk

« Reply #959 on: June 29, 2011, 12:56:22 PM »
maybe if he shut his mouth & stopped abusing the umpires & his teammates, he might get a few free kicks.

boils down to his taking the wrong attitude into the game. Think he needs to change his ipod to Culture Club  ;D