Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 462872 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #3525 on: September 11, 2020, 10:04:56 PM »
Jack just reminded everyone what a superstar he is and that he can still kick a bag. Both his 4 goal hauls have been against top 4 sides (Brisbane & Geelong).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3526 on: September 11, 2020, 10:07:40 PM »
Jack just reminded everyone what a superstar he is and that he can still kick a bag. Both his 4 goal hauls have been against top 4 sides (Brisbane & Geelong).

Stepped it up especially when Lynch went down :cheers

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3527 on: September 11, 2020, 10:10:54 PM »
Best game of the season

We needed him to stand up and he did

Led from the front
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3528 on: September 11, 2020, 10:17:00 PM »
Was really impressed in helping us steady the ship in the 3rd quarter. His days of bagging 50 in a season might be over but I would always want a fit Riewoldt in the team if we’re pushing for a flag

He’s averaged 4 shots per match and 3 goals per game the past 3 weeks. I reckon he can still kick 50 a year

Just sayn
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3529 on: September 11, 2020, 10:36:18 PM »
Yeh he’s done........fools

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #3530 on: September 11, 2020, 10:38:58 PM »
Yeh he’s done........fools
Nothing better than when a great throws the eggs back in our face.
 :rollin
He’s not at his best but he showed us he’s still got it  :clapping
The club that keeps giving.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3531 on: September 11, 2020, 10:52:12 PM »
The champions always rise to the occasion! Excellent from Jack tonight. The kick that didn’t make the distance is a long forgiven now

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3532 on: September 12, 2020, 04:29:03 PM »
‘Not bad for a bloke who was supposed to retire’: Jack Riewoldt fires back at Mick Malthouse

Ben Waterworth
News.com.au
September 12, 2020

And they say the players don’t read newspapers.

Richmond star Jack Riewoldt has hit back at AFL legend Mick Malthouse in the wake of his starring performance in one of his side’s most important wins of 2020 yet.

Malthouse last month urged Riewoldt, 31, to “consider going out on a high” and retire at season’s end.

Writing for the Herald Sun, Malthouse claimed Riewoldt had “lost power in his leap”, adding: “He’s lost a couple of metres with his kick and there’s a hint that he’s lost pace as he is no longer a tackling player.”

But against Geelong on Friday night, Riewoldt was one of the most dangerous and influential players on the ground, booting four goals from 10 disposals, six marks (four inside 50) and seven score involvements to help Richmond record a 26-point victory and surge into the top four.

The dual premiership Tiger even leapt high into the Gold Coast sky, pulling down a quintessential Riewoldt screamer.

Speaking to Fox Footy post-game, Riewoldt couldn’t help but have a passing dig at Malthouse.

“I’m pleased with how I’m going,” Riewoldt said. “To clunk a couple tonight is good.

“Not bad for a bloke who was supposed to retire, according to Mick Malthouse, at the end of the season.

“It’s all part of the journey. I’m enjoying playing my football, I’m loving being up here in Queensland. I’m really looking forward to seeing my family on Tuesday, which is pretty exciting.”

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said Riewoldt had started to hit form at the right time of the season.

“His ability to halve contests and not get out-marked, especially (on Friday night), I thought he was outstanding,” Hardwick told reporters.

“His leap has come back. He did have that knee injury earlier in the year, which probably limited him a little bit. But we’re starting to go see him get back to his best form where he jumps at the ball and uses the strength in his game. He is such a formidable player and has been for a long period of time.

“It’s important he plays his best football now.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/not-bad-for-a-bloke-who-was-supposed-to-retire-jack-riewoldt-fires-back-at-mick-malthouse/news-story/ec1247eac8a7cca71420aba70ee713f0

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3533 on: September 30, 2020, 02:59:59 AM »
Jumping Jack's back to paint Brisbane yellow and black

By Peter Ryan
The Age
September 30, 2020

Having been challenged on and off the field like never before in 2020, Richmond spearhead Jack Riewoldt is ready to be the main man up forward again in Friday night's qualifying final against the Brisbane Lions as the Tigers chase back-to-back flags for the first time since 1973-74.

After helping him fight through a testing patch of poor form early in 2020 that saw his future questioned externally, Richmond are relying once again on Riewoldt to deliver with Tom Lynch failing to overcome a hamstring injury in time to play.

The gregarious 31-year-old, who was Richmond's leading goalkicker for nine consecutive seasons before Lynch claimed the award last season, led the Tigers to a premiership in 2017 as the solo key forward before adding another flag to his collection with Lynch by his side in 2019.

He starred in last year's grand final kicking five goals after busting the game open with three majors in the second quarter, just reward for holding the Tigers' forward-line together in the 10 years before Lynch arrived.

However Riewoldt's confidence was temporarily shaken midway through 2020 when he kicked just six goals in the first eight games after the season restart and his impact dropped.

All of a sudden he was away from his young family in the Gold Coast hub and under form pressure for the first time in a decade. And he couldn't ignore the reality that he needed to lift.

"It's one of the first times I have really been challenged for a length of time for not playing as well as I would like," Riewoldt said.

"I think my form reflected a little bit of how we were going and we weren't playing as well as we would have liked. I accept responsibility for that.

"It's a little bit of the chicken and the egg: do you wait for the side to play well before you play well or do you start playing well and make the side play well?"

Riewoldt wasn't alone in his struggles with Lynch also battling to find his rhythm after an excellent opening season at his new club where he played every match and kicked 63 goals.

Entering the round 10 clash against the Brisbane Lions they had kicked a combined tally of 22 goals for the season and any notion they had time to wait had disappeared.

"[We] probably found ourselves in a little bit of a rut really of just not playing the way we wanted to play," Riewoldt said.

The Tigers vice-captain conceded he began searching for form as a result and that wasn't the answer.

It was only when he returned to basics that he regained the flow that has made him a three-time All-Australian and triple winner of the Coleman Medal.

"It's pretty simple for me, grab a bag and jump on a coaches back. That repetition gets you back into the position of playing your best footy," Riewoldt said.

As did bouncing theories off his premiership teammate about how they could both overcome their malaise with Lynch becoming more overtly aggressive while Riewoldt rediscovered his fanatical leap at the ball.

They combined to kick seven goals against the Lions in round 10 and their seasons rebooted.

"It's always great when you have got someone else to help you work through that," Riewoldt said.

As he heads into his 12th final with All-Australian defender Harris Andrews as his likely opponent he knows the spotlight will fall, as it has before, on his shoulders.

Mabior Chol, playing in his first final, is likely to fill Lynch's role while Josh Caddy will need to bring his usual rambunctious energy to the match but it's testament to the Tigers' depth that such names can step into the void alongside a player as experienced and successful as Riewoldt.

So with confidence restored Riewoldt is more than happy to lead the way having kicked at least one goal in each of his past 14 matches and kicking six in the final two rounds to draw level with Lynch at the top of the Tigers' goalkicking table with 28 apiece.

"I feel like I have found some form. I feel like I am fit and excited about my role again and have really enjoyed playing," Riewoldt said.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/jumping-jack-riewoldt-s-back-to-paint-brisbane-yellow-and-black-20200929-p560bq.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3534 on: October 03, 2020, 03:36:10 AM »
Jack Riewoldt

Kicked a couple of goals and had chances for a couple more but misfired. Considering Lynch’s absence, he went pretty well given the enormity of the task he was presented with. He did drop a few sitters that he normally eats up.

Rating: 7

Source: Foxsports

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3535 on: October 10, 2020, 05:06:09 AM »
Jack Riewoldt

Riewoldt flew for a number of marks early, but was largely quiet for the match. A main highlight came when he assisted Dan Rioli with a smart handball to get the Tigers a goal.

Rating: 3

Source: Foxsports

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3536 on: October 12, 2020, 10:32:11 PM »
Footy Classified questioned Jack's form or lack of it this year.

2019 2020
Disposals  12.1  8.3
Marks      5.4  3.8
F50s        3.0  2.2
Goals       2.3  1.6
Score Inv.  6.6  3.7

Cornes said Jack has been flying under the radar due to Richmond's success. Lloyd said Jack is leaping but he can't get enough off the ground.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3537 on: October 13, 2020, 12:03:35 AM »
He got double/triple teamed against Brisbane and against st kilda he did what he needed to do. Be dangerous enough so the defender couldn’t leave him and 3rd man up spoil lynch. Anyone who thinks he gave a 3/10 performance has NFI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3538 on: October 14, 2020, 11:47:27 PM »
Jack flies above stats, says Hardwick

SAM LANDSBERGER
The Australian
OCTOBER 15, 2020

Richmond says Jack Riewoldt’s aerial strength trumps the stats sheet, with coach Damien Hardwick giving his scoreless spearhead’s semi-final performance a tick.

Riewoldt, 31, warmed up for Friday night’s preliminary final against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval with just four disposals and his first goalless game since round three.

Barring two games where Riewoldt suffered an injury in the first 15 minutes, he has never had fewer disposals in his 281-game career.

But Hardwick said Riewoldt’s influence went underappreciated by those outside the club as the best team of this year prepares to host the best team of the past four years for a place in the grand final.

“It’s a measure of how we measure his game. The stats sheet will say that he’s quiet, but he didn’t get beaten in any marking contests, he brought the ball to ground really well,” Hardwick said.

“A lot of people won’t see what he does for our side and how he does operate — but we do. That’s why he gets a game for us every week and that’s why he’s one of our most important players.

“Everyone likes to be kicking goals, but the fact of the matter is Jack plays his role and it’s really valuable every week.”

Riewoldt neutralised the three one-on-one marking contests he was involved in against St Kilda.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/jack-flies-above-stats-says-hardwick/news-story/4bf50c1fdd825b23a95a9407750bab48

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3539 on: October 15, 2020, 02:21:03 AM »
Always lifts in big games wouldn't suprise me this week media on his back.