Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 462909 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #3615 on: May 31, 2021, 04:04:02 PM »
Adelaide’s senior coach Matthew Nicks praised Riewoldt for reclaiming the match for the Tigers after the Crows’ late burst.

“A key moment was Reiwoldt going back with the flight in the last quarter and then the way it played out for the rest of the game - they’re a fantastic team but for a leader to stand up like that, it was unfortunate for us,” he said.

“Unfortunately we were on the other end of it. It would’ve been nice because we had a bit of a run going into that point… but it turned the game,” he said.

https://www.afc.com.au/news/949641/nicksys-five-key-lessons-from-richmond-loss

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3616 on: June 01, 2021, 05:14:46 AM »
‘Where did he come from?’: Chol recalls spectacular Riewoldt mark

Daniel Cherny
The Age
June 1, 2021

Richmond’s Mabior Chol says he didn’t see Jack Riewoldt coming in the lead-up to the Tigers star’s stunning hanger late in Sunday’s win over Adelaide.

Chol had been leading to a kick inside 50 from Jack Graham but was upstaged by Riewoldt, who soared to take a spectacular pack mark after running back with the flight of the ball. Riewoldt converted the ensuing set shot en route to a five-goal haul in the 28-point victory over the Crows at Giants Stadium.

“It was a funny one. I did not see Jack coming at all,” Chol said on Monday of the incredible moment.

“Credit to him, it was an amazing mark. I think if you see the footage, I was pretty shocked, where he came from. I was like, ‘Wow, where did he come from?’”

Riewoldt risked injury by tracking back with the flight of the ball, an issue brought to the fore last week by AFLW star Darcy Vescio when she questioned whether a similarly courageous mark from Western Bulldogs gun Lachie Hunter should have been celebrated.

“Having no regard for your own safety shouldn’t be what makes you a good teammate,” Vescio tweeted.

Chol said that ultimately players acted on instinct when it came to such moments.

“I think it’s just an instinct thing. It’s a hard one to call because you’re just playing off instinct out there. It happens so quick you don’t even notice,” Chol said.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/where-did-he-come-from-chol-recalls-spectacular-riewoldt-mark-20210531-p57wqa.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3617 on: June 01, 2021, 04:26:38 PM »
The AFL website didn't include Bolts mark but here's a video comparing some of the best marks in history with Jack's.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/624481/watch-and-vote-has-jack-riewoldt-taken-the-greatest-mark-of-all-time-

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3618 on: June 01, 2021, 05:34:15 PM »
I would still take moorcroft as greatest i have ever seen but boy oh boy riewoldt’s was special

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3619 on: June 01, 2021, 11:26:20 PM »
Seen at least half a dozen marks better than Moorecroft's... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3620 on: June 02, 2021, 08:21:35 AM »
Moorecrofts was spectacular because he misjudged the ball in flight and nearly stuffed the whole thing up
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3621 on: June 02, 2021, 10:57:19 AM »
Silvagni's wasn't even a mark as he dropped it. 
Nick's better than Jack's I think for sheer theatrics
For a pure marks I rate Moorecroft's number one.  Sean Smith's number 2. Always loved Roachy's also. 
Shai's very similar to Sampi's. 

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3622 on: June 02, 2021, 01:16:45 PM »
I love moorcroft for how far he had to extend back to get his mits on the ball. I seem to recall reading that mark killed his career in AFL but Geez almighty he got some serious hang time with that mark

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3623 on: June 02, 2021, 01:58:07 PM »
“ICONIC” TIGER TIPPED FOR INSTANT HALL OF FAME STATUS

By Alex Zaia
SEN
2 June 2021

SEN host Dwayne Russell has tipped “iconic” Richmond champion Jack Riewoldt to become an instant inductee into the Australian Football Hall of Fame.

Riewoldt, 32, kicked five goals to almost single-handedly drag the Tigers over the line against Adelaide on Sunday and still has plenty to offer in the twilight of his decorated 294-game career.

Boasting an impressive CV that includes three premierships, three Coleman Medals, three All-Australians and two Jack Dyer Medals, the 32-year-old will go down as one of Richmond’s all-time greats.

Stay up to date with all the latest news from SEN. Sign up HERE.

“I reckon Jack Riewoldt gets into the AFL Hall of Fame first year of eligibility,” Russell told SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“He’s been iconic for this era, he’s got a great resume now.

“As a leader of the football club, as a player that stands up when the heat is on and had to stand up yesterday (Sunday) – he’s become great.

“He’s become one of the most watchable players in the comp and one of the players I love watching.”

Riewoldt, who comes out of contract at the end of the year, has kicked 30 goals for the season at an average of just under three per match.

He’s six majors shy of joining the 700-goal club and is set to become the fourth Tiger to play 300 games.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/06/02/iconic-tiger-tipped-for-instant-hall-of-fame-status/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3624 on: June 03, 2021, 06:23:19 PM »
Wayne Carey's view of Jack's mark:

... In many respects Jack’s mark was unique.

He combined the courage of his cousin with the high-leaping of his team-mate Shai Bolton. For degree of difficulty, Jack edges Nick and it’s why I’m prepared to say his was a better mark.

Often back with the flight marks are simply chest marks and that’s why they’re not always judged as favourably in mark of the year voting.

But not only did Jack run back with the flight, but he managed to elevate himself and turn his body in such a way that he still held onto the ball.

That ability to contort his body reminded me of Gavin Wanganeen in his Brownlow Medal year. Former Blue Kenny Hunter, too.

For a player to keep the footy in their grasp can be underrated from a bravery standpoint. Often, they can lose the ball on the way down, because they’re worried about breaking their fall.

It’s why Jack Riewoldt’s mark deserves to be in the conversation as one of the greatest marks, not just of this season but all-time.

At number one, I still have Shaun Smith simply because of his elevation.

But in terms of what will stick in the memory, Jack’s isn’t far behind.

Full article: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/from-the-riewoldts-to-jezza-the-afl-marks-that-won-t-be-forgotten-20210603-p57xrs.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3625 on: June 05, 2021, 10:56:00 PM »
Jack won't get the kudos like last week but he again created goals for the team in the last 10 mins out of nothing. Just his contesting and footy smarts is brilliant.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3626 on: June 05, 2021, 10:57:03 PM »
Jack won't get the kudos like last week but he again created goals for the team in the last 10 mins out of nothing. Just his contesting and footy smarts is brilliant.

Totally agree with this.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3627 on: June 05, 2021, 11:06:39 PM »
Should have been given another shot or two as well due to infringements.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3628 on: June 11, 2021, 01:59:27 PM »
The Tigers have not yet announced Riewoldt's extension through to the end of 2022, but the three-time Coleman medallist has added another year to his brilliant career at Punt Road.

Source: AFL website

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3629 on: June 11, 2021, 04:54:52 PM »
The Tigers have not yet announced Riewoldt's extension through to the end of 2022, but the three-time Coleman medallist has added another year to his brilliant career at Punt Road.

Source: AFL website
SEN just said Jack has signed a one-year extension.