Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 462880 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #3855 on: September 02, 2022, 04:52:04 PM »
He’s not going to continue playing in the 2’s. Let’s avoid talking fantasy land stuff.
He wasn’t great last night but he’s role in the last month was as a decoy for Tom Lynch.
People don’t seem to understand that the match up’s determine who we play through….
He’s kicked 40 goals this year. It’s pretty much 2 per game. Coleman medallist averages about 3.

He’s off the ball running and leading is incredible. His on field leadership remains elite.
His preparedness to sacrifice his own game for his teammates is amazing.

I’m not sure how that profiles him to retire or play reserves.

“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #3856 on: September 02, 2022, 05:20:42 PM »
Tend to agree. Definitely has days where he looks old and slow but for the most part he's a solid contributor playing an important role that helps everyone in our forward 50.

Plays on for one more year IMO
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3857 on: September 02, 2022, 05:57:47 PM »
He’s not going to continue playing in the 2’s. Let’s avoid talking fantasy land stuff.
He wasn’t great last night but he’s role in the last month was as a decoy for Tom Lynch.
People don’t seem to understand that the match up’s determine who we play through….
He’s kicked 40 goals this year. It’s pretty much 2 per game. Coleman medallist averages about 3.

He’s off the ball running and leading is incredible. His on field leadership remains elite.

All good arguments. But we do need to move on at some stage. Just my gut feel, but I reckon another year will be one too many.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #3858 on: September 02, 2022, 06:07:30 PM »
If he's not to be around in 2023 we will need to hit the trade table to get in a good replacement. Because lord knows we can't develop key forwards worth a poo. Jack is the only one who has been successful and he was drafted nearly 16 years ago
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3859 on: September 02, 2022, 06:14:31 PM »

Agree. How about we focus on who else can stand up instead of a 33 year old bloke who everyone wants to retire despite the fact he has had a good year

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3860 on: September 02, 2022, 07:20:37 PM »

Agree. How about we focus on who else can stand up instead of a 33 year old bloke who everyone wants to retire despite the fact he has had a good year

Actually, that's my point. Jack playing on next year has become a band aid there's-nobody-else-solution rather than part of our next premiership solution.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3861 on: September 02, 2022, 10:40:16 PM »
We all would have given our left nut for a once a generation key forward 15 years ago.
Let’s enjoy a champion.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Broadsword

« Reply #3862 on: September 02, 2022, 10:48:05 PM »
We all would have given our left nut for a once a generation key forward 15 years ago.
Let’s enjoy a champion.
Spot on.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3863 on: September 02, 2022, 11:09:25 PM »

Actually, that's my point. Jack playing on next year has become a band aid there's-nobody-else-solution rather than part of our next premiership solution.

Respectfully, your  point is wrong. This bloke has given is all and I ain’t calling for his head. What I am calling for is others to stand up in the ressies. We had Lynch miss games and who stepped up from the vfl?  Do you want to play blokes like Brown and push Balta forward? We tried that and it was a Fail.

We have no one. End of story. So blame the recruiting department, and tell them to wake the stuff up. Other clubs picking up forwards in a mid season draft that are descent and playing finals,  yet we are no where to be seen.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #3864 on: September 02, 2022, 11:18:50 PM »
No brainer. Plays for mine. At worst he can play 3 out of every 4 games.

Lynch gets an annual injury and if Jack is retire who on earth plays KP forward. Do not say Balta.
Go Tigers!

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3865 on: September 03, 2022, 01:19:16 AM »
Geez have been saying he stays and he stays until we have someone take over from him and actually offer more.

FFS all clubs need 4 key forwards on their list we have just two and both are getting on in age.

People just seem to have no idea about what is needed for a club to have a good succession plan for its varying players and roles.

All i can say is if Jack Riewoldt is forced to retire this year then we don't just need to replace him but we need to find two other key forwards on top.

Look what is ideal. Well the obvious place to start would be to mirror what we do in the seniors in the bloody seconds. That means two genuine key forwards playing in the magoos with Lynch and Jack in the seniors.
The only questions from there are is asking what stages of development  would be ideal for the seconds players.

Since 2017 we have failed dismally to address this.

For me we should atm have at least one kpf aged around 22 23 getting games when jack and tom are not available. He  should now be developed enough to say hey we can let Jack retire this 23yo is ready to take over. We should also have a very good junior in the system. I would also suggest a good ruck/fwd should be in the system as well.The truth of the matter is we have none apart from two aging stars.
This problem is nothing new its easy to trace it all the way  back to 2017 when all we had was Jack and had to play blokes like Townsend and Caddy fwd to give a contest in the air.

What have we done to correct this. Honest answer very little and hedged our bets when we have.We have Tom Lynch we got him in free agency thank god he chose us to play for.Tom cost nothing as far as investment goes in picks etc.what else have we actually invested in trying to find another two or three tall fwds should be the question. If you don't invest you just won't find a player to fix the problem.

We just have not got everything right since 2017 and woe to anyone who says this.

Im going to cut em just a little bit here because no one could have forcast Alex Rance retiring and when he did it forced us to play Balta as a defender.
By the way for me the last few seasons Noah would have to be one of our most over rated players weather that is in defense or attack.
We all love what he could potentially produce every week but imo for too long now he has not delivered.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3866 on: September 03, 2022, 07:41:16 AM »
Veteran Richmond star key forward Jack Riewoldt’s equal game-high, three-goal performance against Brisbane in last night’s elimination final at the Gabba gave him an overall season tally of 40 goals.

It was the 11th time throughout his decorated AFL career that the triple premiership Tiger hero has kicked 40 goals or more in a season and he now has a total of 755 from the 326 games he’s played.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick, however, valued Riewoldt’s 2022 season beyond the goals he managed to score.

“He’s played a really selfless role,” Hardwick said in his post-match press conference following the Tigers’ two-point loss to the Lions.

“Obviously, he’s been an incredible player for our footy club . . . The way he’s gone about his year, I think it’s been one of his better years by the way he’s led through giving others opportunities.

“He could still be a dominant force, but he’s realised he has to step back so others can step up. And that’s been the mark of him, I think, this year.

“It’s a real credit to him . . .

“We’re really proud of the way he went about it.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1213088/dimma-acclaims-unselfish-riewoldt

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3867 on: September 04, 2022, 04:46:46 AM »
8. Jack Riewoldt

Clutch! Had Jack Payne for company early. Quiet start to the game but kicked a much-needed goal late in the second term against the grain to lift his side. Then stepped up when it mattered most in the fourth term, pulling off a miraculous set-shot goal then adding another. Also applied great defensive pressure. Might’ve sealed a new one-year deal with that performance.

Foxsports rating: 6

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-finals-2022-richmond-tigers-vs-brisbane-lions-second-elimination-final-highlights-stats-best-and-worst-players/news-story/7fc45960b9d79ca09461c1ff3de0ff76

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3868 on: September 04, 2022, 11:52:46 PM »
Word is he's been offered a year for about $300,000.

Apparently a 'low ball' offer, take it or leave it.

Personally I don't think he and Cotchin should be on much more than that anyway. They've had big pay days in the past.

I hope jack takes it.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #3869 on: September 05, 2022, 12:00:06 AM »
Be interested to know what others their age is on. What would Pendle be on?
Go Tigers!