Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 462866 times)

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #135 on: May 04, 2008, 01:26:09 PM »
Great mark split the pack open and took the mark over his head with authority.
Took another step in his game last night and looked good.
Kicked a nice goal in the second quarter and cannot be blamed for not making the distance from 55-60. Magnificent thing was Richo went up to him straight away with a word of encouragement right after the kick despite the kids obvious disappointment. Starting to look good Jackie.

Tigermonk

« Reply #136 on: May 04, 2008, 01:38:07 PM »
blame shouldnot be layed on those shooting for goals
Blame should be layed on those who give easy goals away in the defence
l dont have to name any players l'm sure you seen the easy goals l speak about

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2008, 05:44:50 PM »
Just an aside - Jack's got a 17 year old brother playing for Clarence

The Clarence side had eight teenagers, including 17-year-old Harry Riewoldt, brother of Richmond's Jack and cousin of St Kilda star Nick Riewoldt.

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,23642849-3462,00.html

Ox

« Reply #138 on: May 04, 2008, 05:49:28 PM »
I'm starting to see what u have all been saying about him.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #139 on: May 04, 2008, 06:05:06 PM »
taken u a while

the kid is all class, shame he didnt connect and kick the goal but who cares , he is showing great signs

Kicked a nice goal in the second quarter and cannot be blamed for not making the distance from 55-60. Magnificent thing was Richo went up to him straight away with a word of encouragement right after the kick despite the kids obvious disappointment. Starting to look good Jackie.

richo showed gr8 leadership. as did other tigers who approched him and said some kind words to him

but i was impressed by harvey, he has my respect now as he went to jack straight after richo and spoke to him. and it was nice to see cousin nick go straight to him and console him

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2008, 07:12:52 PM »
That quick kick back to the square under pressure where Edwards marked and goaled was also very impressive. A very disciplined and smart thing to do from a 19 year old.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2008, 10:12:12 PM »
I'm starting to see what u have all been saying about him.

Glad you've seen the light ())(  :rollin

a slow staert last night I thought, couple of times in the 1st qtr he needed to go hard at the opposition to put some F50 pressure on, but he got better as the night went on.

I think we should bite the bullet and leave him in the seniors for the remainder of the year. The quicker we get more games into him the better it is for the RFC  :thumbsup

Blame should be layed on those who give easy goals away in the defence
l dont have to name any players l'm sure you seen the easy goals l speak about

Agreed :thumbsup

richo showed gr8 leadership. as did other tigers who approched him and said some kind words to him

but i was impressed by harvey, he has my respect now as he went to jack straight after richo and spoke to him. and it was nice to see cousin nick go straight to him and console him

I was not surprised by what Richo did - he is whether people believe it or he is not the ultimate team mate :thumbsup

But I do agree X - I am not a Harvey fan (another protected species of the whistle blowers - never gets pinged even when he does double 360's) but I thought what he did, that showed class. As for Cry Baby Nick - yeah I'll give him a tick for that too  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #142 on: May 05, 2008, 02:58:25 PM »
Younger Riewoldt shows he can live up to name
Chloe Saltau
The Age
May 4, 2008

IF THERE is a player who epitomises Richmond's steady improvement, it could be Jack Riewoldt. The 19-year-old came up against the St Kilda team captained by his older cousin, Nick, for the second time in his fledgling career last night, and the pair came close to each other only twice.

First, Jack crept up behind Nick as he aimed at goal in the third quarter and yelled something in his ear. Whether it was the effect of being crunched into the turf a few seconds earlier or of the familiar voice over his shoulder, Nick missed, then limped off to have his knee packed in ice.

Second, Nick consoled Jack in the middle of the ground after the younger Riewoldt flew above a pack to grab a mark that could have defined the game. But he couldn't roost the ball long enough to clinch a famous, after-the-siren victory for the Tigers.

It was the stuff that boyhood, backyard fantasies are made of, but the kick from outside the 50-metre arc faded and was set upon by St Kilda players, keeping the Saints' unconvincing season alive and condemning Richmond, which came within a couple of goals of the red-hot Hawks a week earlier, to an honourable, three-point loss.

Riewoldt, the Tiger, was shattered, and sank to his knees as teammates came to commiserate. But the Richmond faithful must be encouraged by the emergence of a lively, decent-sized key forward to complement Matthew Richardson, now roaming further afield.

"Richo" was, as ever, the most influential Tiger on the ground against St Kilda, leaping and running and kicking improbable goals to keep the Saints from marching all over them in the final quarter. Still, it is the improvement of players like Riewoldt that will, in time, make Richmond a better team, and though he only influenced the game in patches, his touches were telling.

The junior Riewoldt is, by all accounts, a feisty character who pounded on Terry Wallace's office door until the coach gave him a game last year. Only now, after 12 games, is the confidence beginning to show on the ground. In the first quarter last night, he took a contested mark in the middle of the ground, and slipped past two Saints to deliver the pass that gave Richardson the first of five goals.

In the next term, he put the Tigers in front after running from the bench and floating forward to mark, and dobbing the goal from a tough angle and then created another by curling a kick around his body, with Brendon Goddard on his hammer and the boundary line pressing, to Shane Edwards.

Jack is a centimetre smaller than his older, more famous cousin, and slight by comparison, but he proved a slippery customer for opponents that included Goddard, Raphael Clarke and Matt Maguire.

Before Richmond drafted Riewoldt with its second pick in the 2006 national draft (the first was traded away for Graham Polak) his family used to travel from Tasmania, where his father Chris played 273 games, to watch Nick star for St Kilda, who he described as "a huge influence on me" before being drafted.

Up the other end his cousin, forced to sit out the last term on the bench after the over-zealous tackle, lamented the continuing malfunctioning of a team beefed up by the repatriation of Gehrig from the VFL and with former Eagle Michael Gardiner sharing the ruck with Justin Koschitzke.

Somehow, it fell to the 178-centimetre Stephen Milne to kick a winning score.

Against Richmond, a team determined to make a nuisance of itself, it was perhaps fitting that it took a player who has made a career of it, in Milne, to boot seven goals, shaking St Kilda out of the malaise that threatened to consume its season.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #143 on: May 05, 2008, 04:48:32 PM »
Jack must be a show for a Rising Star nomination this week. He only played 8 games last year so he's eligible.

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2008, 10:06:46 PM »
Jack must be a show for a Rising Star nomination this week. He only played 8 games last year so he's eligible.

i would have liked to think so.....i think if he had kicked that winning goal...he'd be a sure thing...but....i think they may just give it to monawerirri from melbourne this week....kicked 4.....eye catching performance...

our jack's time will come....

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #145 on: May 05, 2008, 10:23:54 PM »
Before Richmond drafted Riewoldt with its second pick in the 2006 national draft (the first was traded away for Graham Polak) his family used to travel from Tasmania, where his father Chris played 273 games, to watch Nick star for St Kilda, who he described as "a huge influence on me" before being drafted.

I'm pretty sure we got Jack with our first pick in the 2006 draft.   :shh  ::)

The Age are absolutely poohouse with research.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2008, 04:51:41 AM »
Uncle's anguish as Jack drops short
Gold Coast Bulletin
06May08

AUSSIE RULES by Roger Merrett, Terry Wilson and Nick Smart

IT WAS a tough night for Joe Riewoldt watching Saturday night's St Kilda-Richmond thriller unfold.

As St Kilda struggled to overcome the Tigers, Joe looked on in despair as son Nick went down with a bad knee injury in the third quarter after being slung in a tackle.

Then, in the gripping finale, nephew Jack Riewoldt had the chance to snatch victory for Richmond with a long-range attempt after the final siren (pictured). The kick fell short, but Joe was left wondering why Jack did not attempt a torpedo rather than a drop punt.

"He won a long-kicking competition back home in Tasmania a few years ago when he kicked one 68 metres with a torp," recalled Joe.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/05/06/10775_gold-coast-sport.html

Offline True Thylacine

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2008, 01:17:48 PM »
Just an aside - Jack's got a 17 year old brother playing for Clarence

The Clarence side had eight teenagers, including 17-year-old Harry Riewoldt, brother of Richmond's Jack and cousin of St Kilda star Nick Riewoldt.

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,23642849-3462,00.html

In the same side as David Boons son actually, who just go this first senior game last week.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2008, 02:51:28 PM »

i would have liked to think so.....i think if he had kicked that winning goal...he'd be a sure thing...but....i think they may just give it to monawerirri from melbourne this week....kicked 4.....eye catching performance...

our jack's time will come....
Yeah you're right peggles. Wonaeamirri won it this week.

Yep Jack should get a nomination sometime this year  :thumbsup.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2008, 02:53:19 PM »
Jack has been revelation this year

Is an example of a very intelligent footballer first and an athlete second.

Only 19 ( 20 in october) shows alot for someone of such a young age.

Has many strings to his bow, could end up being a 2nd or 3rd Key forward, or play the rebounding Chad Cornes role. Not dissimilar to CCornes not overly quick of foot, but very quick of mind, also has an outstanding vertical leap.

As he piles the kilos ( of muscle) on, will develop into a damn fine footballer for the tigers.