Author Topic: 2004 richmond draft picks  (Read 5807 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: 2004 richmond draft picks
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2008, 03:15:48 AM »
the only way to shut people like me up Mt is to make the goddam finals FFS in 2009.

Seriously you wonder why people like me exist. I have seen 2 finals series in my life. 2 FFS.
Excuse me if i dont jump for joy at finishing 9th.

Get us into the finals and ill be singing a different tune.
We're all frustrated Tiger supporters daniel. Only human nature to be so after all this time. I haven't seen Richmond live in a final since the 1982 GF when I was a kid. I was away from melbourne in 95 and OS in 2001. Good timing to go away eh :P.

Still our club will go nowhere if every plan and decision is weighted down by this 28-year baggage of the past which none of us can change. The club needs to accept always where it is at and move forward. We can't afford to have nervous nellies on the board buckling because success isn't coming as quickly as we would all like.

The reality is we have a mostly young side (2004-2007 drafts) who will take time to develop and come through together as a unit. It's not their fault nor problem that the club has been so unsuccessful for almost 3 decades. They need to be given a chance to make their own history both winning and losing. They're going to make mistakes. They are going to lose games they shouldn't or don't show up at all which will frustrate us even more and test our patience that is already at breaking point given the baggage of the past. We are also going to have to add to this group because not all those cubs on our list now will make it or be good enough to take us back to the top. Reality is only half will make it even at the best of clubs. We are also only now pumping in the necessary finances and resources to compete with the best clubs off-field. Even that won't fully take shape until 2010 when both Punt Rd and Craigieburn developments are completed.

If some sense of sanity, stability and focus can return to the club after the current mess is sorted out, the most likely scenario is we may "pinch" a finals appearance with the current crop (no guarantees) then dip down for a year or two once the oldies Richo, Simmo, Browny, etc retire and then bounce back when the current young core hit their prime mid 20s and have plenty of years experience together as a unit which is still 3-4 years away. The top sides have rebuilt their lists over a 7-8 year period and stuck to their original plan of going for youth. That's why the next 2 drafts are so important and why we must draft more of the best kids so that the bounce back is sustainable with no more age and experience gaps on our list.

Anyway I've gone off-topic. What I'm saying is the success or failure of the club's recruiting will be determined over a long period (7-8 years from 2004) in building and developing a team and list that can eventually seriously challenge for a flag (or two). It won't be based on one draft pick in 2004 where we could've/should've got Franklin. Champion teams win premierships.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 03:33:03 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2008, 07:33:49 AM »
So we didn't get Franklin.  Get over it.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2008, 09:17:49 AM »
The Dogs NEVER get the Griffen vs Buddy debate because only some Tiger supporters are stupid enough to get hung up over every draft choice and the media know it.

The Dogs have made some terrible drafting decisions with early picks recently. Farren Ray, Tom Williams, Tim Walsh and we haven't seen Jarrad Grant yet.

When you think back to the 2004 draft, we had Richo, a young Schulz showing a few promising signs, we weren't crying out for KPP. We needed some midfielders.

The Dogs haven't had a forward since Simon Beasley and chose another medium sized on-baller. Griffen was one of the better Dogs on Friday, but he didn't kick 8.

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2008, 06:53:20 PM »
Here is AFL site's Matt Burgan's phantom draft prior to the 2004 draft:

PRIORITY

1 - RICHMOND - Brett Deledio
(Murray Bushrangers), 18 April 1987, 188cm, 81kg

With Richmond in pole position for the first time since 1989, the Tigers are almost certain to call out - 'Player 110398, Brett Deledio, Murray Bushrangers' and pounce on brilliant young inside midfielder with the first selection in the 2004 National Bank's AFL Draft. Hailing from Kyabram in country Victoria, Deledio, has been a standout player at junior level, having won the Kevin Sheehan Medal for the best player in the National Bank's AFL under-16 championships, while he graduated from the AIS/AFL Academy and was All-Australian at under-18 level in 2004, after he averaged 24 disposals during the carnival. He was later named in the 2004 TAC Cup team of the year. Deledio also shone during the recent Draft Camp, when he finished fourth overall in the 20-metre sprint with a time of 2.90 seconds, while his 92-centremetre running vertical jump was in the top bracket of players. Also a talented cricketer, Deledio is a super-competitive player, with his marking overhead and smartness around goal a feature of his game. Southern Districts dynamo Richard Tambling and outstanding South Adelaide midfielder Ryan Griffen are also in the mix for the number one title, but expect Deledio to be in the yellow and black after the meeting kicks off at 10am on Saturday morning. Deledio's father Wayne played one match for Carlton in 1975.

2 - HAWTHORN - Richard Tambling
(Southern Districts), 12 September 1986, 181cm, 74kg

With Deledio expected to be the first player claimed in the 2004 Draft, expect Hawthorn to quickly snap up Tambling with the first of its three selections in the top seven. Tambling has been an elite performer at junior level, having been named the best player at both under-16 and under-18 level, which earned him the Alan McLean Medal and the Hunter Harrison Medal respectively. During his three matches at this year's National Bank's AFL under-18 championships, he notched up 61 disposals to cap off a stellar carnival. Tambling also captained The Allies during grand final week this year, when he led the side to victory in the inaugural National Bank's AFL under-18 Rising Stars Cup against Victoria. An AIS/AFL Academy member in 2002/03, Tambling shone at the recent Draft Camp, where he recorded a time of 2.87 seconds in the 20-metre sprint and a vertical leap of 93 centremetres, which were among the best tested this year. The dashing Northern Territorian goalkicking midfielder with the blistering pace and silky skills will be an excitement machine at Glenferrie.

3 - WESTERN BULLDOGS - Ryan Griffen
(South Adelaide), 27 July 1986, 187cm, 85kg

The Bulldogs will be rapt with Griffen at number three, despite the fact several good judges believe he is capable of being this year's number one draftee. Griffen, who captained South Australia at this year's National Bank's under-18 championships, had a terrific carnival and he was duly rewarded with All-Australian selection. A medium-sized inside midfielder, Griffen has genuine football talent, is smart around goal and has good vision. He is rated by many as simply a 'natural onballer'. An AIS/AFL graduate, Griffen received the Mike Fitzpatrick Scholarship in 2004, while he played for South Adelaide's senior team in the SANFL during 2004, despite the fact he was playing under duress with a knee injury.

ROUND ONE

4 - RICHMOND - Jarryd Roughead
(Gippsland Power), 23 March 1987, 193cm, 88kg

Likely to be the first 'tall' selected in the 2004 Draft, Roughead is a left-footed key forward/defender from Leongatha in country Victoria. The Tigers are poised to select Roughead, just ahead of Perth key forward/defender Lance Franklin, with their second selection. The 'home grown' factor may play a part in the decision-making process, although Franklin, along with Geelong Falcons ruckman John Meesen, who has come into the equation recently, is also a chance to be selected by the Tigers at number four. Meesen can't be discounted. An AIS/AFL Academy member in 2003/04, Roughead represented Vic Country in this year's National Bank's AFL under-18 championships. This coincided with an outstanding year with the Gippsland Power, where he led the club's goalkicking with 46 majors, which included a six-goal haul against the Dandenong Stingrays in round 18 in the TAC Cup. Also a talented basketballer, Roughead gained selection in the 2004 TAC Cup team of the year.

5 - HAWTHORN - Lance Franklin
(Perth), 30 January 1987, 196cm, 87kg

A tantalising player, 'Buddy' Franklin was rated as a potential number one draftee in some quarters earlier in the year and although that may have slipped a fraction, he is still regarded as a top-six selection. The athletic key forward/defender is agile for his size, while he is a booming kick and a good mark. An AIS/AFL Academy member in 2003/04, Franklin made his senior debut with Perth in the WAFL this year. He was also rewarded with the Mike Fitzpatrick Scholarship in 2003. Franklin represented Western Australia at this year's National Bank's AFL under-18 championships and kicked the winning goal in the dying seconds against Victoria Metropolitan to help give his side a two-point victory at Skilled Stadium. Franklin remains a genuine candidate for Richmond at number four, but with Roughead firming as a Tiger, the Hawks are likely to snap-up Franklin with their second pick, just ahead of Queenslander Tom Williams, who has stunned the football community with his ability, after switching from a rugby union background to Australian Rules in less than 12 months. He, too, has more than interested the brown and gold.

6 - WESTERN BULLDOGS - Tom Williams
(Morningside), 17 July 1986, 196cm, 87kg

There is no doubt Williams will be one of the most fascinating stories in this particular meeting. Along with his rugby union background, his all-round sporting ability includes swimming and basketball, but his athletic prowess is set to take him into the AFL. His rating has shot up considerably since the Draft Camp, where he finished second overall in the three-kilometre time-trial with a time of 10 minutes 36 seconds. The Bulldogs are set to pounce on Williams with their second selection, yet he will enter the thoughts of Hawthorn at number five, while Richmond is also not out of the question with its second selection. Williams was a member of the 'developing talls' group in the AIS/AFL Academy squad during 2003/04, while he represented Queensland in the 2004 National Bank's AFL under-18 championships. It has been a remarkable year for a player who has played fewer than 15 matches since taking up the code a year ago. Also, not out of the ball-park at number six for the Bulldogs are West Adelaide ruckman Cameron Wood and Glenelg midfielder/forward Danny Meyer.

He's other picks for us were:

12 - RICHMOND - Fabian Deluca
(Eastern Ranges), 27 January 1987, 203cm, 97kg

16 - RICHMOND - Ryan Willitts
(Northern Knights), 23 January 1987, 197cm, 100kg

20 - RICHMOND - Ruory Kirkby
(Bendigo Pioneers), 2 April 1986, 192cm, 80kg

36 - RICHMOND - Ryan Jackson
(Northern Knights), 4 April 1987, 188cm, 78kg

52 - RICHMOND - Dean Limbach
(Calder Cannons), 25 October 1986, 192cm, 77kg

65 - RICHMOND - Mark Graham
(Hawthorn), 13 March 1973, 190cm, 90kg

Full list here:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142915

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
Crock of poohe. They lucked out on Buddy plain and simple. If they were so certain he would become the star he most certainly has they would have taken him with their first pick. All this rolling the dice rubbish sounds great in retrospect but everyone, inclusing Hawthorn, rated Bling over Buddy. It was a toss up between Tambling and Roughhead at the time, Franklin wasn't part of the equation.

I hate hearing this 'Drafting-Masterstroke' brought up. It's always sold as intentional but the truth be known the draft feel the way it did because no one rated Buddy above Lids, Bling, Roughhead or Griffin. In fact I remember hearing that experts were surprized that Buddy went as high as he did given his attitude and poor performance at the TAC Cup.

Let's write this article when we near the end of their careers and see where they all rate then.

Stripes

rubbish stripes.

our need at the time was for tall KPP.
one of roughy or buddy should have been on our radar, if we were smart.

if the shoe was on the other foot and we had buddy now, we would be laughing in their faces as they are to us today

Because our midfield was so awesome eh?

Fool.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2008, 09:16:47 AM »

....Also, not out of the ball-park at number six for the Bulldogs are West Adelaide ruckman Cameron Wood and Glenelg midfielder/forward Danny Meyer.

I didn't follow phantom drafts too closely back in 2004, but it's surprising to see Meyer so highly rated. I thought we took him as a bit of a roughy.

PS. To anybody bagging our drafting in 2004, just thank god that Matt Burgan wasn't our recruiting manager. I don't think any of his picks from 12 onwards are even playing anymore.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2008, 04:10:11 PM »

....Also, not out of the ball-park at number six for the Bulldogs are West Adelaide ruckman Cameron Wood and Glenelg midfielder/forward Danny Meyer.

I didn't follow phantom drafts too closely back in 2004, but it's surprising to see Meyer so highly rated. I thought we took him as a bit of a roughy.

PS. To anybody bagging our drafting in 2004, just thank god that Matt Burgan wasn't our recruiting manager. I don't think any of his picks from 12 onwards are even playing anymore.

I remember Meyer being as highly rated as #6, and many thought top 10. Was seen as a good get @ 12.

Player comparisons with the like of young N Browns/Dal Santo type.

Got 20 touches once against Geelong as a kid, and in 1st pre-season was called the best kick at the club.

Fingers crossed he becomes part of our back 6  :cheers

Good end to season getting fit and in form.