Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 904607 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin plays his 250th this week
« Reply #5175 on: April 23, 2021, 06:06:32 PM »
From Barrett's Sliding Doors column:

IF ...
Dusty takes his talents into the stratosphere seemingly every time the stakes are at their highest ...

THEN ...
watch him go there again in Saturday night's Anzac Day eve match against the Dees. It'll be the biggest AFL crowd since the 2019 Grand Final, the Dees think they're a chance, Trac is being compared with him. That's more than Dusty needs.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/599364/if-the-comparisons-with-dusty-have-been-coming-fortnightly-then

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin opens up on premiership ‘dream’ he still hasn’t achieved

Dustin Martin has done literally everything you can in the AFL but there is still one thing he wants to do as he reaches 250 games.

Andrew McMurtry
HeraldSun
April 23, 2021 - 6:12PM

Richmond Tigers star Dustin Martin has put together a career that has him spoken about in the same breath as the legends of the game.

Three premierships, the only man to win three Norm Smith Medals and the 2017 Brownlow Medal, Martin appears headed for “legend” status at the end of his career.

Still only 29, Martin could have plenty more time still to go in his career.

It feels like Martin has been around forever and achieved everything there is to achieve ahead of his 250th game against the Melbourne Demons on Saturday night at the MCG.

In a rare interview with Nick Riewoldt before the season began, Martin admitted he couldn’t separate his premierships — or Norm Smith medals — as “each of them are special in their own unique way”.

While he couldn’t separate the wins so far, one thing would make a four title even more special — if he could do it in front of his dad.

Shane Martin, a former high-ranking member of the Rebels motorcycle gang, lived in Australia for three decades before he was deported in 2016 after his visa was cancelled on grounds of character.

He has previously faced charges of assault and burglary, while in 2004 he received a two-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, for aiding and abetting in drugs trafficking.

He was turned away again in February 2020 despite claiming Indigenous heritage.

But Martin hasn’t given up hope of celebrating a premiership with his dad in the stadium.

“It’s been a massive challenge but it is what it is,” Martin said. “I love my dad and he’s made me the man I am today. I have full belief that he’ll be back here to watch us win another flag. That’s my dream to be able to have the old man with the rest of the family and watch the Tiges win another flag.”

Martin doesn’t do a lot of interviews in a season and said he gets nervous in front of the camera but it’s clear he shuns the spotlight, apart from when he’s on the footy field.

And there are few players who turn it on for big games like Dustin Martin.

He left the AFL world gobsmacked in the 2020 Grand Final, when he turned the game himself with a stunning four goal performance — all solo efforts — to run away with a 31-point win.

Riewoldt said it was a stunning turnaround after he felt at halftime that “Geelong have got them” — that is, until Martin took control.

But even looking back, Martin couldn’t help but downplay it.

“It’s hard, footy can be such a random game, you can’t really plan what’s going to happen,” he said. “A bit like that game, we started a bit slow and we just built. I just knew that if I kept calm and kept being ready for the opportunity that when my chance came, I was going to take it.”

It has the talk of Martin being arguably the greatest player to play the game.

Fellow legend Leigh Matthews said last year on Nine’s The Sunday Footy Show that “Dusty’s the only player I don’t get insulted being compared to”.

But again, it’s just water off Martin’s back, although that doesn’t mean he doesn’t take the time to smell the roses.

“It’s extremely humbling to hear these things from people but that’s just their opinion and I try not to get too caught up on other people’s opinions whether positive or negative,” he said. “I always just come back to what I can control.

“Life moves so fast, I think it’s super important to reflect on those things. I remember I was on the Goldie after the Grand Final, probably three weeks after the game, it’d been a big couple of weeks celebrating, and I went out and just sat on the balcony where I was and just took a moment to reflect, rang a few people from the club, sent out a few texts. I think it is really special to reflect.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dustin-martin-opens-up-on-premiership-dream-he-still-hasnt-achieved/news-story/682413a9152b388c7990899f143f864b

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5177 on: April 24, 2021, 08:01:23 AM »
We're a they getting compared to Dusty Petracca from lol not even close to tieing Dusty 's shoe laces.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘Bullet-proof’ Dusty gets to 250 non-stop (Age)
« Reply #5178 on: April 24, 2021, 03:30:20 PM »
‘Bullet-proof’ Dusty gets to 250 non-stop

By Greg Baum
The Age
April 24, 2021

If you get the impression that Dustin Martin is always there, that’s because he is. In 11-plus years of AFL footy, he’s missed eight games. Three were because of suspension and two or three because he was being “managed”, leaving three at most that can be put down to outright injury.

He averages more than 22 games a season. If not for the five games that no-one played in the shortened 2020 season, his average would be the highest in the game’s history. It is just as well there is no medal for that: where would he put it?

It’s not as if Martin hides away on the half-back line or in the forward pocket. He was a midfielder from the start, spent a couple of years lurking behind the ball, but now plays mid-forward. To 2016, 36 per cent of his possessions were contested. Since, it’s been 47 per cent.

He’s always in harm’s way, but never gets hurt. How?

In essence, he’s the No.1 who looks after number one, in the best sense. “What he’s done over time is to build durability through his accumulation of work,” said Peter Burge, Richmond’s high performance manager since 2012. “He’s built it to a point where he’s almost bullet-proof.”

Burge remembers a game against Essendon in 2014, one of nine in a row that the Tigers needed to win to play finals. They were on a six-day break and Martin had nicked a hamstring. Any other player would have missed, but on match eve, he passed most of a fitness test. “We said, let’s stop now, because he’s starting to look OK, even though the scan showed a grade 1 strain,” Burge said.

“We said, he’s different to others with his body. He can cope with things. We played him, he played very, very well and we won the game.

“To me, that was unique. There’s something in his physiology that allows him to function or protect that particular area of injury. He uses his body differently. It’s hard to explain. He’s got a lot of strength in his body generally so other areas are able to compensate without doing more damage, but also allowing him to perform over two-and-a-half hours. That’s very hard to do with a hamstring strain of any sort.”

Only once has Martin’s invisible shield failed. Leading into the 2018 preliminary final, he was nursing a corked thigh that would not come to heel. “It became evident about four days out that he still didn’t have close to full range in being able to flex his knee and run,” Burge said. “It probably showed that he’s a little bit human.

“Two days out, he’s a bit better. He got out there and played the best he could. But he certainly wasn’t 100 per cent. He didn’t have full power in acceleration. You would never have questioned whether he should or shouldn’t play. But that’s probably the only time it hasn’t worked out for us.” The Tigers lost to Collingwood.

Well, even Superman faltered occasionally. Besides, imagine the alternative scenario: Richmond might now be playing for a fifth consecutive premiership.

Putting that thought away, let’s try to do the impossible: let’s try to break down Martin’s indestructibility. Those who have watched and worked with him agree that it boils down to a few precepts.

One is genetics. “He was well developed from a young age in his robustness and stature,” said Matt Hornsby, previously of Richmond, now high performance manager at St Kilda. “That allowed him to tolerate the collision element of senior footy better than the other young guys coming through.”

Burge agrees. “There’s a fair genetic component,” he said. “You would never take anything away from how he applies himself. But he has a naturally strong body, as you can see. He’s not the greatest runner. He’s not necessarily the strongest in the gym. He doesn’t need to be.”

Justin Leppitsch, who has coached him on and off, puts it succinctly. “He doesn’t actually feel the hits as much as others.”

Out of that grows a rare capacity to play through injury. “He’s had a lot of niggles,” said Leppitsch. “He fights through it. He’s tough.” That’s not to say Martin is an automaton. “He’s not immune to being sore,” said Burge. “He does get tired, like other players. But he’s mentally very strong in terms of being able to ride the waves.”

Ralph Carr, his manager since almost day dot, sees it. “There have been times over my 10-year journey with Dusty that I have noticed he was carrying an injury and incredible pain,” Carr said, “but he would never tell you. I suppose that’s what real champions do.”

Martin’s antidote is his Stakhanovite work ethic. All attest to it. “He always trains. He loves training,” said Burge. “That builds durability. If you’re a consistent trainer, and you train with intensity, you build durability.”

He was like that from the start. He wanted to learn, from Kane Johnson and Daniel Jackson then, from Trent Cotchin and others now. “He’s a very loyal person,” said Hornsby. “He doesn’t like to let down people he’s close to.”

The word that recurs most often in conversations about Martin is “professional”. All agree that it sits oddly with his rebel-without-a-pause image.

“I don’t think the outside image matches the reality,” said former Adelaide star Mark Ricciuto, another rough-looking diamond who was remarkably consistent across 300 games. “From what I’ve seen of Dusty over the last five years, he’s always looking to get better. Players who play that much footy are competitive people. They’re always looking for ways to get the best out of themselves. That’s him. He’s the ultimate professional.”

Sometimes, Martin’s devotion to training borders on excess. “There are times when we have to say, it’d be good to back off a bit today,” said Burge. “He listens. Then he always comes back five minutes later and goes, ‘whaddya reckon if I just do a bit of this?’ This might be the treadmill or an extra stretch.

“His desire to continue to work is impressive, particularly as he’s gotten older,” said Burge. “But there are times when we have to say, back off a bit today. You are going all right!”

Then there are the extras. Away from the club, Martin is single-minded in his exploration of paths to improvement. Yoga, mindfulness, meditation, psychology, chiro, massage, stretching sessions at home: he does or did them all. He’s a regular at the sea baths at St Kilda. He has modified his diet, and what he drinks. He’s conscious of his ideal bodyweight and the way it plays into his power-to-weight ratio. Mental and physical strength build mutually.

“He boxes regularly outside the club as well,” said Burge. “That’s more about footwork and baseline condition. He feels mentally he needs to do that stuff to maintain his levels. And he loves doing it. That’s the other thing: he just loves it.”

He wasn’t always quite so dedicated; few young footballers are. But it’s his schtick now. “It took a while for the penny to drop,” said Leppitsch. “But now he’s brilliant. Once you get older, you tend to know your body. You know when to push it, when to pull out. But you don’t learn those lessons until later in life.”

Martin is 30 in June, and Burge said he was modifying and refining his preparation. “The one thing that’s been constant the whole time is his ability to train and want to train,” he said. “The other thing that is important for him is to develop as he’s getting older in how he’s preparing. I think he’s thought ahead about this.”

How far ahead? To reach 400 games, Martin would have to continue at this rate and pace until he is 36. But he shows no sign of fading out or losing interest. As Ricciuto notes, he’s playing in a good Richmond era, so why would he not ride this wave out. He made it.

The game could meet him half-way. “Even if he stops his mid-forward time, you can see him playing forward 50 on his own,” said Leppitsch. “Almost the way Toby Greene plays it. He’s that good a player, you’d always rather him in your team than out.”

That furthers the horizon. “I really believe that he can defy all the odds as only Dustin Martin can,” said Carr, his manager, “and play to 36 years of age and maybe even longer.”

Richmond’s only concern about Martin is not to spend him out. “We don’t want to take him for granted,” said Burge. “But we’ve got so much trust in what he does to better himself and to continue to invest in himself, that you don’t tend to worry too much about him.”

Worrying about Martin is for the Tigers’ opponents, for the 250th time on Saturday and every forseeable week after that. The one thing they all know is that he will be there.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bullet-proof-dusty-gets-to-250-non-stop-20210423-p57lrq.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5179 on: April 24, 2021, 10:49:40 PM »
So much for Dusty not missing games and being bullet proof. Thanks media, nice mozz!

Let's hope his eye socket isn't fractured on top of the concussion  :pray.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #5180 on: April 25, 2021, 12:26:48 AM »
Wasn’t a great game by the champ even before the hit. Hibberd did a good job tagging.

Dusty will smash them if we play them again in finals.  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5181 on: April 25, 2021, 12:56:51 AM »
Jibberd I reckon has had the wood on Dusty before. One of few players who has

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5182 on: April 25, 2021, 04:16:17 AM »
Martin was kept to eight disposals in the clash in a hard-checking role by Melbourne defender Michael Hibberd before he left the game in the third quarter under concussion protocols. It means he will automatically be ruled out of next week's clash with the unbeaten Dogs.

But Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said post-game that it could help refresh the Tigers champion.

"He'll obviously miss next week which is disappointing but it's the lay of the land at the moment and player health and well-being is the paramount of our medical staff and the AFL so we'll abide by that and he'll take his 12 days," Hardwick said.

"He has had some foot issues. They've not been significant but it has impacted him and last week was a little bit the same. In fairness, although he's going to miss some time, it might be the best thing for him. He's a proud man, he'd never put up his hand and complain, but the fact of the matter is he hasn't been his explosive self because of that. He'll get better."

Source: AFL website

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5183 on: April 26, 2021, 04:25:06 PM »
Dustin Martin is reportedly dating Byron Bay-based model Jessica Gomes.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-great-dustin-martin-dating-byron-bay-supermodel-report-c-2681185

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5184 on: April 26, 2021, 04:26:18 PM »
Hibberd held Martin to just eight disposals and no impact on the contest for three and a bit quarters, but despite getting the better of the triple Norm Smith Medallist he told AFL Nation “by no means (was it simple).”

“I’m glad it’s over to be honest,” Hibberd said.

“We know their half forwards, (Jack) Graham and (Jake) Aarts, play a few tricks with Dusty. He’s such a good clearance player they want him around the ball and he’s such a good one and one player, so they want him forward, so we knew they were going to do those switches.

“I watched a fair bit of tape on him over the week. To save any confusion any mid stoppage I was just going to him and we know that he spits forward from there and I was just taking him from there. It was pretty clear.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/04/24/how-veteran-demon-plotted-defensive-masterclass-to-stop-martin/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5185 on: April 27, 2021, 12:50:23 PM »
‘That’s my job’: How Melbourne’s blueprint to stop Dustin Martin exposed ‘disorganised’ Saints

Ben Waterworth
Fox Sports
April 27th, 2021

Dual All-Australian Leigh Montagna believes Melbourne and Michael Hibberd had the ideal game plan to curtail Richmond superstar Dustin Martin – an approach that highlighted how “disorganised” St Kilda was the round prior.

Prior to being ruled out of Saturday night’s game in the third term with concussion, Martin was held to just eight disposals by Hibberd, who manned up on the triple Norm Smith medallist once he’d pushed into the forward line post-centre bounce.

Speaking on Fox Footy’s First Crack, Montagna said there was a “misconception” among some AFL fans that Martin was a midfielder, declaring he was a “forward who takes the centre bounces”. And Hibberd, a natural defender, was the perfect match-up for Martin, according to Montagna.

Dual premiership Kangaroos David King pointed to vision of how Hibberd played Martin during Saturday night’s clash.

King said he was thrilled with Hibberd’s attitude to own the task he’d been given by Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin, evident by the moment he shooed teammate Nathan Jones away from Martin when the Tiger had made his way into forward 50.

“This to me is the mindset of when you’ve got the group eating out of the palm of your hands,” King told Fox Footy’s First Crack.

“What’s Michael Hibberd’s role? It’s Dustin Martin. He does the job on (Daniel) Rioli until the earliest possible time when he can make the transition and change with Nathan Jones.

“He’s not really interested in what Rioli’s doing. He’s trying to communicate: ‘Get over here, I’m coming back. You know what? Jonesy, bad luck mate – I’m coming. My job is Dustin Martin, the coach has told me that’s my job, that’s what I’m going to do.’
“That is as much about having the group. Just in that one bit of vision as anything else as we’ll show tonight, Simon Goodwin would say: ‘That’s my boy, I can trust you with any role’. And then that permeates through the group.

“Leadership is really strong at Melbourne, it’s really evident.”

Montagna said Melbourne’s approach to curtailing Martin was a stark contrast to how St Kilda played him in Round 5, which saw the superstar Tiger boot one goal from a game-high 34 disposals in Richmond’s 86-point win.

“St Kilda were totally disorganised. The amount of times Dustin Martin was free for 10, 15 seconds – that’s how he gets lost in transition,” Montagna told First Crack. “You’d rather double-team Dustin Martin for 15 seconds and let someone else free than leave Dustin Martin out the back on his own with nobody on him.

“That was spot on by Melbourne, it was a great tactical play and more sides, like (Sydney’s) George Hewett who’s the only other one that’s beaten Dustin Martin this year – the defender, as soon as the centre bounce is taken, you go to Martin. Let the others sort it out through the midfield so you can get the job done.”

Asked if other clubs could replicate Melbourne’s tactic on Martin with a Hibberd-like player, King said: “You’ve just got to have a plan. All we’re looking for is a plan.

“There’s no right or wrong in AFL footy … it’s just opinion on what we see. But that to me was Michael Hibberd saying ‘I’m not giving up on this, not for a minute’, because we’ve seen Dusty (previously) run and roam around unopposed for 40 or 50 seconds – the best player in the comp.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/melbourne-demons/afl-news-2021-dustin-martin-tagged-by-michael-hibberd-blueprint-to-stop-dusty-first-crack-david-king-leigh-montagna/news-story/3ae790f3825bfae196f22d3b04a2cd10

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5186 on: April 28, 2021, 08:08:10 AM »
Richmond superstar Dustin Martin has received clearance to travel to New Zealand to visit his father but has been warned he will not be given any special treatment should border issues arise.

The AFL confirmed on Tuesday night that the Tigers had asked for advice in determining whether Martin should be allowed to make the trip.

The Tigers have been told Martin’s trip is their responsibility, so if there are any issues, it is up to the player and club to work through them.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/afl/bubble-warning-dusty-given-approval-to-make-new-zealand-trip-20210427-p57mxs.html

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5187 on: April 28, 2021, 09:13:30 AM »
Because he has a week off?

I wonder if something is up. He wasn't playing well before concussion and you'd think after a head knock and with border issues a possibility they would discourage him from going?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5188 on: April 28, 2021, 11:34:57 AM »

I wonder if something is up. He wasn't playing well before concussion and you'd think after a head knock and with border issues a possibility they would discourage him from going?

Hasn't seen his Dad in over a year, wants to see his Dad....

Dimma also said again in his presser he's been carrying a foot injury the last couple of weeks. So with the 12 day break good chance to get the foot right.

Dimma also said Club doesn't stop any player from needing or wanting to see their family....
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5189 on: April 28, 2021, 01:50:36 PM »

Hasn't seen his Dad in over a year, wants to see his Dad....

Dimma also said again in his presser he's been carrying a foot injury the last couple of weeks. So with the 12 day break good chance to get the foot right.

Dimma also said Club doesn't stop any player from needing or wanting to see their family....

Very true, thanks for that