Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 904401 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5355 on: February 20, 2022, 09:42:04 PM »
KB was my hero as a kid but the comparison is stupid.

It says KB played majority of his games as a forward?

Prior to 1980 didn’t KB play majority midfield? Wasn’t the reason he contemplated moving to Essendrugs was because TJ was taking him out of the midfield to play him as a forward flanker?

Wasn’t he named Rover in our team of century?

This doesn’t seem right unless he played mostly forward in the 60’s and 70’s
I wasn’t old enough to remember much about the 70’s games but what I’ve seen from the black and white replay footage it looks like he played mostly midfield.
Trying to compare goals scoring ability back then without defensive zones and when there was regular ability for a team to kick over 20 goals a game even in a loss is also dumb.

In 1980 the KB finals series was probably the greatest thing I’d ever seen until I witnessed Dusty Martin play in winning finals. The comparison is really silly and do is Kevin Sheedy.
The club that keeps giving.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5356 on: February 20, 2022, 10:13:35 PM »
Im in my 30s so not privileged to see KB play. Happy to have the debate, it’s a nice problem to have and Dusty would probably find it flattering he’s Mentioned in that company. What I will say Dusty has going for him is he’s playing in an 18 club comp, came to the club when it bottomed out, comprised draft and had to deal with Ruck taps from Hampson for a bit and also has to contend with umpires and AFL actively cheating to shaft Richmond with regularly anti Richmond rule changes and lopsided fee kick counts.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5357 on: February 21, 2022, 12:02:02 AM »
I saw KB play about 300 of those 403 games, he was the greatest rover I've ever seen.  He then turned into the greatest goal sneak I've ever seen.

Dusty has KB covered, he just needs to go forward now ...     :bow 
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5358 on: February 21, 2022, 09:36:28 PM »
Dusty’s unusual link to new florist cafe

A new florist cafe has opened near the city selling bouquets and French cakes, and boasting this unusual link to the Tigers superstar.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyle/food/greek-restaurant-greca-street-opens-to-fanfare-in-heart-of-oakleigh/news-story/69962c201e4a07721b994a6882a1d1ae

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5359 on: February 26, 2022, 04:46:04 PM »

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5360 on: February 27, 2022, 01:44:10 PM »
I know it’s a practice match but that redirected my blood flow

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick backs rejuvenated Martin after ‘nervous’ return from injury (Age)
« Reply #5362 on: March 03, 2022, 05:00:59 PM »
Hardwick backs rejuvenated Martin after ‘nervous’ return from injury

Jon Pierik
The Age
March 3, 2022

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has revealed Dustin Martin was initially nervous in his comeback last weekend but says there is no reason why the superstar Tiger cannot again be the best player in the competition.

Martin had his first match last weekend since he suffered a serious kidney injury in last year’s round-18 win over Brisbane. While the 260-game veteran was rusty in the three-goal win over Geelong, he played most of the four quarters and there were glimpses of his brilliance.

Last year he finished equal fifth in Richmond’s best and fairest but his form before the injury wasn’t at the gold-plated level of 2017-20, when the three-time Norm Smith medallist and Brownlow winner was consistently a destructive force.

However, Hardwick said the expectation for Martin, who will turn 31 in June, was that he would be back to his dynamic best in a year when the Tigers hope to again challenge for the flag.

“It’s obviously a significant injury he is coming back from,” Hardwick said at the Fox Footy season launch on Wednesday.

“He had his first hitout really on the weekend. He was the first to admit in the first couple of contests he was a little bit nervous about what that would look like when he raised his arms. But he grew in confidence and got better as the game wore on.

“Our expectations should be the same – he is a match-winner, he is one of the best players in the competition, if not the best player in the competition. We just expect him to play his role, which is a silly thing to say, but that’s what we require of him.

“He works incredibly hard on every facet of his game. That’s why he is one of the best players in the league. I am looking forward to watching him play. I know most people are as well.”

Former Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley said this week Martin, Leigh Matthews and Wayne Carey were the best three players he had seen.

Martin shed significant weight after his surgery because of the diet he was restricted to but he is now back in mint condition, ready to be a game-turning force through the middle of the ground and forward of centre.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hardwick-backs-rejuvenated-martin-after-nervous-return-from-injury-20220302-p5a0za.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5363 on: March 07, 2022, 07:57:02 PM »
Who is the league’s best player?

... while this may seem odd to say, a healthy Dustin Martin may have a point to prove despite his place in history already being confirmed.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/stop-press-the-afl-storylines-to-watch-out-for-in-season-2022-20220221-p59y7k.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5364 on: March 10, 2022, 02:50:42 AM »
Is Dustin Martin Still the Best Player? | SEN

LISTEN HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l09GN9fI8k4

Garry Lyon and Tim Watson discussing who the best player is.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5365 on: March 10, 2022, 05:07:21 PM »
No and he hasn't really been since 2017. Not saying his GF performances haven't been sensational.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Luke Hodge tips Dustin Martin to accept time has come for huge shift (7news)
« Reply #5366 on: March 17, 2022, 06:29:50 PM »

AFL great Luke Hodge tips Dustin Martin to accept time has come for huge shift

Luke Hodge believes the Richmond superstar is ready for an ‘impactful’ move inspired by his great mate Trent Cotchin.

Glenn Valencich
7news
17.03.22 3:25PM

AFL great Luke Hodge has suggested the time is right for Dustin Martin to accept the slow transition away from being Richmond’s big dog in the middle.

That, though, does not equal an expectation that the 30-year-old has lost any kind of edge - far from it.

Martin faced a tough road back to full health in the off-season after suffering a lacerated kidney in a collision with Brisbane hardman Mitch Robinson last year.

An acre between the midfielders closed up within a matter of footsteps, sending Martin crashing to the turf in a way he has avoided for so much of his 260-game career.

“I think you just look at how Dusty attacks things - he knows that that’s a part of football,” he told 7NEWS.com.au.

“He goes in there hard. Normally when he hits blokes they get injured, this time it was a freak contact.

“It didn’t look like it was much but it just got him right in the sweet spot. If you run into Mitch Robinson, arms and knees are going everywhere.”

Richmond held on for victory that night at the Gabba, ending a four-game win streak to sit just outside the eight on percentage, but Martin was the latest in a flurry of injuries that doomed their finals chances.

With their first extended pre-season since 2016 now complete, Hodge believes the Tigers retain the right mix to reach September in 2022.

Shai Bolton became the answer when Dion Prestia went down earlier in the season while Riley Collier-Dawkins, Liam Baker and Jack Ross all stand to grow into expanded roles this year.

So what becomes of their all-conquering Brownlow medallist and three-time Norm Smith Medal winner?

Hodge only needed to look to Trent Cotchin, who has experienced his own transformation this season by giving up the captaincy, reshaping his game to realise what’s possible for Martin.

“(Richmond coach Damien Hardwick) knows if they need goals you can put him at full forward and clear out the forward line,” the Channel 7 AFL commentator said.

“And I think you get to the stage in your career where you don’t have to be in the middle getting all the clearances. You can rely on other people.

“I remember Cotch clearly made that decision a few years ago when he saw Dusty coming through. Cotch went from having 30 to 35 touches a game to having 20 to 25, but as a leader it was more impactful for Richmond because he was letting Dusty go in there.

“(Cotchin) was there as a safeguard and a bit more of a defensive midfielder, playing the team role like senior guys should do at times.

“I think Dusty’s at that age now where he knows that he doesn’t have to be in the middle. He can play forward, he can rest forward, he can give some responsibility to the younger midfielders.

“They’ve got pretty much a full list back. I wouldn’t be surprised - yes, you’ll see Dusty start in the middle and try to dominate, but you’re also going to see him resting forward at times because he can turn a game with two or three goals.”

Martin, who took time off during the pre-season to mourn the sudden death of his father Shane, has been backed in for round one after overcoming a minor hip issue in February.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-great-luke-hodge-tips-dustin-martin-to-accept-time-has-come-for-huge-shift-c-6079398

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5367 on: March 17, 2022, 07:01:20 PM »
Big game for this man tonight. Let’s go

FooffooValve

« Reply #5368 on: March 17, 2022, 10:30:16 PM »
Did anyone else think that Dusty might have twinged a hammy tonight? Felt like he wasn't a factor in the last qtr and spent a lot of time forward.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5369 on: March 17, 2022, 10:33:56 PM »
I'm going to say what I really think here.

I reckon dusty is on the decline and has been slowly for a couple of years or so. His best is still amazing but will be fewer occasions and farther between.

His breakaway pace has dropped off and he doesn't break tackles these days, has been the focus of attention for so long I think teams have figured out how best to play him.