Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 558040 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
WADA confirms growth hormone allegedly used at Essendon is banned (H-Sun)
« Reply #360 on: April 23, 2013, 01:19:10 PM »
World Anti-Doping Agency confirms growth hormone allegedly used by Essendon players is a banned substance

Carly Crawford, James Dowling
    April 23, 2013 11:28AM

THE World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has confirmed a growth hormone alleged to have been used by Essendon players last year is a banned substance, as convicted drug dealer Shane Charter says he helped footballers use performance enhancing drugs.

It is alleged anti-obesity drug AOD-9604, which has not been cleared for human use, was administered to at least six Essendon players last year by controversial sports scientist Stephen Dank.

Confusion has surrounded the status of the growth hormone with the Australian Crime Commission stating in its Drugs in Sport report that the drug was not yet banned.

But last night WADA issued a statement that as the drug has not been approved for human use it is a banned substance.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/world-anti-doping-agency-confirms-growth-hormone-allegedly-used-by-essendon-players-is-a-banned-substance/story-e6frf9l6-1226626345644

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #361 on: April 23, 2013, 01:33:57 PM »
Well now that has been confirmed we might see some action  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #362 on: April 23, 2013, 02:51:51 PM »

Wishful thinking.  ;D

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #363 on: April 24, 2013, 08:51:34 PM »

Wishful thinking.  ;D

Yeah the Afl will close up shop.  Can't see them going hard on the bummers.  Asada and Wada be hanged.

I doubt Wada have any jurisdiction anyway and Asada is a political body so a word here or there from a Polly or two and they'll get off lite.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The pieces of the puzzle are now coming together and it's bad news for the Bombers :yep.

Essendon admit to drug investigators some of its players took anti-obesity drug AOD-9604 last year

Mark Robinson
    April 25, 2013

ESSENDON has admitted to drug investigators some of its players took the anti-obesity drug AOD-9604 last year.

The Bombers said they relied on a document purported to have been issued by the World Anti-Doping Agency approving use of the substance, which WADA confirmed this week was banned.

It is believed Essendon's former sports scientist Stephen Dank showed a document to Bombers club doctor Bruce Reid.

Essendon does not have the letter, and believes Dank has the only copy.

Several Essendon officials are aware of the letter's existence.

Dank was not available to respond to questions about the document yesterday.

It has been reported "half a dozen" Bombers took the drug as part of the supplements program at Essendon last year, the subject of a joint Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority-AFL investigation.

While AOD-9604 is not banned under category S2 of the WADA code - which lists specific substances - it is prohibited under category S0, which states substances not approved for human use are prohibited at all times.

Reid has been interviewed by ASADA investigators and is believed to have told them of the letter of authorisation.

Essendon coach James Hird also has been interviewed, with other coaches and players to follow.

Dank has not yet agreed to talk to ASADA.

Given he is not employed by an AFL club, he is not compelled to submit to interview.

Asked about an AOD-9604 "authorisation letter" last night, an Essendon spokesman said: "The club has launched an AFL-ASADA investigation and an internal review and we will not be commenting until the investigations are completed."

If charged with doping, players would be expected to defend themselves under 'exceptional circumstances' provisions in the WADA code and the AFL Anti-Doping Code, which can have two-year bans cancelled.

WADA's rule 10.5.1 discusses the principle of "no fault or negligence", and is based on athletes proving they did not know what they were being given by sports scientists or doctors.

If an athlete can prove "in an individual case that he or she bears no fault or negligence, the otherwise applicable period of ineligibility shall be eliminated".

The Australian Crime Commission said yesterday it had relied on information from ASADA in compiling its report on drugs in sport, which stated several times AOD-9604 was not prohibited.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/essendon-admit-to-drug-investigators-some-of-its-players-took-anti-obesity-drug-aod-9604-last-year/story-fndv8gad-1226628993513

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #365 on: April 25, 2013, 08:09:26 AM »

Wishful thinking.  ;D

Yeah the Afl will close up shop.  Can't see them going hard on the bummers.  Asada and Wada be hanged.

I doubt Wada have any jurisdiction anyway and Asada is a political body so a word here or there from a Polly or two and they'll get off lite.

Said it all along. The penalties will be minor IMO.

At worst 6 months starting in October, 500k penalty for bringing the game into disrepute( just so they can be seen as doing something)

Andy D should resign. In his time we have had betting, drugs in sport, tanking.

He is a weak administrator who cares more for protecting the millions of dollars through tv rights and sponsorships.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #366 on: April 25, 2013, 09:54:05 AM »
If Hurley was taking them, it didn't work!  :lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #367 on: April 25, 2013, 03:39:53 PM »
For this season I am supporting other than Richmond of course anyone who play the bumblings.

It is a misappropriation of time and effort this investigation if no "appropriate punishment" that affects the footy club and its players is dealt in season.

Furthermore if nothing "appropriate" is handed out and they make the 8 or make the top 4 of make the GF and someone else misses out whilst they get a slap on the wrist with a wet newspaper whilst others get made examples of is a blight on football and the current administrators should resign immediately for the benefit of the sport moving forward especially since what we have seen in athletics, swimming and more recently in cycling.

How can our club admittedly rebuild, sure from a position of our own making initially but reach a point of competitiveness and then have external factors such as compromised drafts, umpiring, inequities of fixturing and then you have others showing a total disregard of the rules and have a slap on the wrists while others for example have a 500K fine to pay yet tanking does not exist according to the administration. ::)

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #368 on: April 25, 2013, 08:25:58 PM »
blobbo is running their PR campaign, that article
about Bambi this morning made me vomit in my Cornflakes.

Rampstar

« Reply #369 on: April 25, 2013, 09:30:39 PM »

Rumour going around is that if EFC is found guilty that there penalty may look something like  this:

they will be stripped of all points for season 2013 and 2014
they will lose r1 r2 and r3 national draft choices in 2013 and 2014
they will be fined $2 million with half suspended for 5 years.
a number of players will be suspended

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #370 on: April 25, 2013, 09:43:25 PM »

Rumour going around is that if EFC is found guilty that there penalty may look something like  this:

We can only hope. If proven guilty this penalty should be absolute minimum

Can't see it happening. Big business is the EFC

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #371 on: April 25, 2013, 09:53:17 PM »

Source of this rumour Ramps?
If this rumour has legitimacy then good but of course they need to be found guilty and not some bs loophole of unawareness as Robbo was implying.
Bring it on but I am not celebrating until it is official.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #372 on: April 26, 2013, 01:44:30 AM »
Blobbo makes me hope they get done. Any other club and he'd have nailed them to the wall by now. But no it's his own team so they are innocent. Gimme a stuffing break you useless fat prick. Always has that condescending tone to anyone who disagrees with him. Well guess what Robbo the fans of 17 other clubs disagree with you. Go back to getting trashed on the couch in your singlet and jocks you've worn the last 2 weeks without washing and don't forget to pick the melted cheese and crust crumbs from last weeks pizza out of your chest hair before next 360 episode.  :angel:

dwaino

« Reply #373 on: April 26, 2013, 08:07:08 AM »
Blobbo makes me hope they get done. Any other club and he'd have nailed them to the wall by now. But no it's his own team so they are innocent. Gimme a stuffing break you useless fat prick. Always has that condescending tone to anyone who disagrees with him. Well guess what Robbo the fans of 17 other clubs disagree with you. Go back to getting trashed on the couch in your singlet and jocks you've worn the last 2 weeks without washing and don't forget to pick the melted cheese and crust crumbs from last weeks pizza out of your chest hair before next 360 episode.  :angel:

Did you watch it I think was Tuesday after it was confirmed that AOD9604 was indeed banned? Blobbo was clutching at any straws. "Well why don't they give us names then!" Said Blobbo the Hut. Well Blobbo, they most likely do have names  :shh

dwaino

« Reply #374 on: April 26, 2013, 08:09:05 AM »
My missus laughs at Blobbo whenever he gets fired up because he starts abusing Gerard and you can see Gerard lean back and separate himself from the spray, before promptly changing subjects  :lol

Love watching Blobbo squirm over this topic.