Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 558051 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #570 on: May 26, 2013, 04:26:37 PM »
When a team is rubbed out you still have to win to get the points.

Are you quite sure?

dwaino

« Reply #571 on: May 26, 2013, 07:17:07 PM »
Affirmative. See Melbourne Storm.

gerkin greg

« Reply #572 on: May 29, 2013, 12:32:29 PM »
Negative. Melbourne Storm were rubbed out for salary cap breaches not drug cheating.

How can you be expected to beat a team on drugs when you are clean?

That;s the whole thing D-wa

dwaino

« Reply #573 on: May 29, 2013, 12:50:31 PM »
Same diff. Disqualified team and you can't get the points unless you win, even more so in a lob-sided comp. Imagine the uproar when a team misses out on the 8 by a game to someone like Collingwood or West Coast (even us) who loses to Essendon twice but still recieved 8 points for no other reason than they were fixtured against Essendon twice. More so if that team beat Essendon.

Storm played on with the same list that they cheated to obtain for the remainder of the season anyway.

gerkin greg

« Reply #574 on: May 29, 2013, 01:00:07 PM »
'cept you can't have drug cheats continue to play, bans man, bans

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #575 on: May 29, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »
but you cant have a team not play out the season when you have received millions of dollars for 9 games a week from the broadcasters.  ;)
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

gerkin greg

« Reply #576 on: May 29, 2013, 03:11:01 PM »
I hear Bendigo Gold are ready to step up

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #577 on: May 29, 2013, 03:48:49 PM »
Simplest solution is to strip them of all premiership points and ban them from the draft. That way they keep playing so the AFL abides by its TV rights contract while the Bombers cop their right royal whack. I won't be holding my breath though.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #578 on: May 31, 2013, 05:48:24 PM »
Dons can't plead ignorance to ASADA

By Mitch Cleary
afl.com.au
Friday, May 31, 2013

THE WORLD'S leading anti-doping prosecutor, responsible for the downfall of Lance Armstrong and Marion Jones, insists ignorance plays no part in Essendon players being proven guilty into their 2012 supplements program.

Richard Young, a sports lawyer based in Colorado, America, will be central to the decision making in ASADA's investigation into the supplement programs at AFL and NRL clubs.

"If an anti-doping organisation, such as ASADA, is able to demonstrate that an athlete used a prohibited substance then that is a strict liability violation," Young said.

"Whether the athlete thought they were getting something else or whether they thought the substance was legal or not.

"That is how the rules have played out consistently on all sorts of stages because that is what the anti-doping code says."

Read more: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-31/dons-cant-plead-ignorance-to-asada

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #579 on: June 06, 2013, 02:17:04 AM »
Call for Bombers guarantee

Caroline Wilson
    The Age
    June 6, 2013

Influential player manager Craig Kelly has placed Essendon on notice, seeking assurances from the club that none of his contracted clients will be liable for any financial penalties as a result of the AFL and ASADA investigation.

The ASADA-AFL interrogation sessions with the Essendon and former Essendon players are drawing to a close. David Hille, who has been overseas on leave, was the last Bomber due to be interviewed with Port Adelaide's Angus Monfries travelling to Melbourne this week with his club having a bye. Kyle Reimers has also been scheduled with the last of the player interviews taking place next week.

A number of Essendon coaches and staffers, several of whom have admitted to being injected by sport scientist Stephen Dank, have been recalled by ASADA this week.

The prevailing view is that the change of chief executive at the club along with the uncertainty of the ASADA-AFL outcome has seen a number of players postpone their final negotiations while list manager Adrian Dodoro is handling most current negotiations.

While Essendon remains publicly confident its players will not be suspended as a result of the exotic supplements and drug program it ran last season it faces widespread legal action should that confidence prove unfounded.

The AFL Players Association has been working closely with the club in advising and supporting its players but it has not ruled out backing suspended footballers potentially launching legal action should their careers suffer.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/call-for-bombers-guarantee-20130605-2nqox.html#ixzz2VMJtjZwi

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
ASADA grilling shakes former Essendon player Mark McVeigh (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #580 on: June 08, 2013, 06:28:55 PM »
ASADA grilling shakes former Essendon player Mark McVeigh

Sam Edmund
    June 08, 2013 5:26PM

A SHAKEN Mark McVeigh says Essendon was plunged into its supplement scandal by a "huge rogue element''.

In revelations that pour serious doubt on Essendon's ability to escape sanction, the former Bomber admitted he was disturbed by what drug investigators had told him during a four-hour ASADA grilling this week.

"There are things that you hear in this interview that you know nothing about and you've never heard before and they are quite alarming,'' McVeigh said.

"When I say alarming, I mean things that people may have done who are no longer at the club that no one knew about.

"You think about your family, you think about your health and it's quite serious.''

McVeigh, speaking on SEN radio, admitted he was left "furious'' by some revelations, but said he still believed the players had done nothing wrong.

"I don't think we did anything untoward ... but there is a huge doubt and there were things going on that James Hird, the doctors at the club and the players had no idea about," he said.

"I'm not just talking about being injected with an illegal substance; I'm talking about if you had given blood where that was going and if you were given a substance and it's not checked off properly.

"I've said all the way along that I was told things were ASADA and WADA approved. If I was given a supplement it was seen that was what it was, but there was some suggestion in my interview that it was not what it was."

McVeigh was surprised at how much ASADA knew about Essendon's drug program in a grilling he said put him under enormous stress.

"I really feel for the people involved in the footy club," he said.

"The people that were officiating and the people that should have known things were being told one thing and there may have been something else going on instead, so there was a lot of lying going.

"I understand checks and balances and governance, but when coaches and doctors were asking what was happening, a person or particular people were telling them one thing, but something else was happening.

"I can really understand how these players are feeling and I feel it is a mighty, mighty effort for them to be playing football at the top level considering what's going on."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/asada-grilling-shakes-mark-mcveigh/story-fndv8gad-1226660590370#mm-breached

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #581 on: June 08, 2013, 07:14:53 PM »
So Mark McVeigh continues to make excuses for the stupidity of those in change at.Eassendon.

Actually it shows how stupid and naive McVeigh, M is/was.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Rampstar

« Reply #582 on: June 08, 2013, 07:18:29 PM »
So Mark McVeigh continues to make excuses for the stupidity of those in change at.Eassendon.

Actually it shows how stupid and naive McVeigh, M is/was.

They in big big trouble. Whatever happened to the "we only took Vitamin B and Vitamin C" routine that EFC people were spouting to all and sundry. What a stuffen disgrace of a club.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #583 on: June 08, 2013, 08:06:57 PM »
Agree Ramps, ASADA/WADA have them in the gun and will barrel them  :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #584 on: June 08, 2013, 08:22:51 PM »
Agree Ramps, ASADA/WADA have them in the gun and will barrel them  :clapping

That's great, but I wish they would hurry the eff up about it. The longer this drags on the more I fear it's all going to get swept under the carpet like the tanking affair. And before anybody says it, different body imposing the penalties, yeah I know. BUT WHY IS IT TAKING SO GODDAMN LONG??? :banghead