Author Topic: Ivan Soldo traded to Port [merged]  (Read 120010 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ivan Soldo [merged]
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2017, 08:00:48 PM »
All our rucks are in front of Hampson apart from Grigg

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2017, 08:24:51 PM »
All our rucks are in front of Hampson apart from Grigg

Blasphemy. Holy hell
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2017, 09:43:08 PM »
Grigg pulled a move in the ruck that Hampson couldn't dream of. Maybe he still has the edge but Grigg sure isn't far behind :shh

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2017, 01:30:11 PM »
me - dont reckon he'll make it
Me either but I'm happy to be wrong. He was probably the worst player I have seen at that level but credit to him if he is learning.

I am just curious Mr Note, have you written Soldo off already?

If so you are aware he hasnt played one senior game yet.

It just seems a bit contradictory having a go at others for writing Elton off after seven matches.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ivan Soldo: Richmond ruckman’s rise continues in debut season (H-Sun)
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2017, 11:13:05 AM »
Ivan Soldo: Richmond ruckman’s rise continues in debut season

Chris Cavanagh,
Herald Sun
12 August 2017

THE first Ivan to ever pull on the boots for Richmond — Ivan Maric — became a cult hero among Tigers fans and a force of the competition after crossing from Adelaide in 2011.

The club’s second Ivan — Maric’s Croatian cousin, Ivan Soldo — may not have the mullet but hopes he can live up to the name and one day reach the same lofty heights.

While just six games into his AFL career, Soldo’s development has been one of many positives for Damien Hardwick’s side this season as it builds towards September.

An under-18 state basketballer for the ACT who also dabbled in rugby, soccer and tennis growing up, Soldo remarkably played his first game of football for TAC Cup club Northern Knights just three years ago in July 2014.

The 204cm, 106kg giant had just three disposals and gave away four free kicks that day but his size and athletic ability meant Richmond was willing to persist with the Category B rookie.

With Toby Nankervis suspended, and Maric and Shaun Hampson injured, Soldo received an unexpected call-up against the Western Bulldogs in Round 7 this season.

He had a record 42 hit-outs on debut as a lone hand in the ruck but has since played alongside Nankervis in a two-pronged ruck attack.

“Toby can play forward and ruck so he’s a weapon in that regard,” Soldo said, before hosting a training run with Croatia’s International Cup team at Punt Rd.

“Every game is a learning experience, whether it be a new backman I’m playing on or a new ruckman I’m playing on. It’s always a challenge but it’s good to get different players each week and try and work out their strengths and what works out well for me — and hopefully develop my game over the next couple of years.”

Maric, who retires at season’s end, has worked closely with his cousin across his three years at the club and has been a key in Soldo’s development.

“We have a family connection that’s always going to be there,” Soldo said.

“He’s hard on me but also very supportive. He doesn’t give me special treatment, he just treats me exactly the same way he does everyone else around the club which is the kind of character he is.”

A confident man himself, Soldo said he felt like a “gladiator” entering the Colosseum when he ran out on to Etihad Stadium to make his debut in May.

Long term, he does not want to be just any old gladiator though but rather the ultimate gladiator.

“I’m always trying to improve but it’s going to take time,” Soldo said.

“I wish I could be the best ruckman in the competition today but I’m enjoying the process of getting better.

“I love training and getting better so all the extra sessions I can get, all the gym sessions I can get, I always grab with two hands and try and be the best I can.

“There’s a lot of people proud of me and what I’ve done. I should be proud of myself but I always just want to get better.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-ruckman-ivan-soldo-has-set-his-sights-on-becoming-the-ultimate-gladiator-of-the-afl/news-story/60461ee7756fc2d0be6113ea7a690a14

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2018, 11:02:15 AM »
From Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column:

IF ... Jacob Townsend hadn't played a senior game in 2017 until being selected out of nowhere in round 22, and then staying in and playing a key role in a premiership ...

THEN ... Ivan Soldo is better placed in 2018. Gets his first chance for the year a week earlier.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-10/sliding-doors-round-21

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2018, 03:31:52 PM »
Big improver this season.Better around the ground and can take a mark and kick a goal.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2018, 04:37:31 PM »
Won't make it. Dud.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Siberian

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2018, 11:13:35 PM »
If you cant kick you cant play
Soldo
Moore
How many shots would these blokes nail 35 out directly in
Front?
Thats why Grigg plays in the ruck

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2018, 08:15:07 AM »
Bit harsh since he took up the sport age 19 and ruckman always take time.Plenty of upside.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2018, 03:59:43 PM »
He certainly fills a void against lowly clubs like the suns but I don’t think today has been a great day for him

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2018, 04:19:24 PM »
Hasn't been to bad for his first game this year.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2018, 05:24:24 PM »
I thought he was terrible. uncompetitive no impact on the game. We need to find a 2nd ruck in the off season.

Lebowski

« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2018, 05:27:56 PM »
I thought he was terrible. uncompetitive no impact on the game. We need to find a 2nd ruck in the off season.

CCJ is developing very nicely. Still probably 12 months away from playing any senior footy though. Chol is another that is showing a bit as a second ruck

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2018, 05:45:31 PM »
Seems more intent on bodywork with his opponent rather than simply doing what he is there to do and that is to tap the ball. Half his jumps are completely miss timed which essentially gives the opposition ruckman an uncontested possession.