Author Topic: Ivan Soldo traded to Port [merged]  (Read 120098 times)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Re: Ivan Soldo suspended for a week by the MRO [update]
« Reply #210 on: May 22, 2019, 06:28:01 AM »
stuffing corrupt arseholes
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #211 on: May 23, 2019, 05:28:08 AM »
‘No consistency at all’: Tigers great stunned as Soldo brushes media

Ben Waterworth
FOX SPORTS
May 22, 2019

Richmond has been left stunned by the AFL Tribunal’s decision to uphold ruckman Ivan Soldo’s one-suspension, with a club legend saying punishments for similar incidents were now “impossible to predict”.

The Tigers on Tuesday night attempted to reduce Soldo’s one-game striking ban, handed to him by AFL Match Review Officer Michael Christian to a fine.

But after 14 minutes of deliberating, the three-man jury ruled it was intentional conduct and so Soldo will miss Saturday night’s Dreamtime At The ‘G clash against the Bombers.

Soldo, Richmond and his team brushed past the media without comment after the hearing. But Tigers football manager Neil Balme made the club’s displeasure clear, shaking his head immediately after the verdict.

The Tigers accepted Christian’s original gradings of high contact and low impact, but attempted to reduce the ‘intentional’ grading to ‘careless’.

Soldo testified he was only trying to shield himself when he put up a forearm up and caught Hawks midfielder James Worpel high, but AFL advocate Jeff Gleeson GC called it an “impulsive fit of frustration”.

The upholding of the suspension has frustrated Richmond after three separate results for four similar incidents.

Unlike Soldo, Geelong and Gary Ablett successfully argued their case at the tribunal last month, with Ablett escaping with a fine for his contact with Bomber Dylan Shiel in Round 7 after originally being handed a one-week ban with the same gradings as Soldo’s hit on Worpel.

A week later, Ablett and Fremantle superstar Nat Fyfe weren’t charged by the MRO for two more similar-looking incidents. Christian deemed that the force of their strikes wasn’t sufficient enough to warrant a reportable offence.

But Tigers legend Matthew Richardson said he was “genuinely surprised” by the tribunal’s call on Soldo, considering some “high profile precedent in the last few weeks”.

“No consistency at all and impossible to predict from week to week,” Richardson wrote on Twitter.

Genuinely surprised Soldo’s 1 week ban was upheld tonight. Considering some high profile precedent in the last few weeks. No consistency at all and impossible to predict from week to week.
    — Matthew Richardson (@mattricho0) May 21, 2019

Richmond star Jack Riewoldt thought his teammate would be available to face Essendon.

“I just thought we had a good case, because there’s been some recent form on this,” Riewoldt told Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“I don’t agree wholeheartedly with whether this one or the last two should’ve been suspensions — I don’t think there’s a real spot in the game for high elbows — but if there’s a stance that’s been set, there’s a stance that’s been set.”

Melbourne veteran and Fellow AFL 360 panellist Jordan Lewis agreed.

“What we’ve seen over the past couple of weeks has probably set a precedent with these sorts of acts,” Lewis said on Tuesday night.

“It doesn’t look good … purely from the eye test, you would think it’s a report. But by what we’ve seen over the last two or three weeks, we are a little bit surprised by that I suppose.”

Herald Sun chief football writer Mark Robinson said he was “staggered” by the tribunal’s call, but 360 co-host Gerard Whateley said the circumstances around Soldo’s hit were different to the others.

“You’re staggered by it? You can obstinately pretend that this is the same as Ablett and Fyfe — and I’ve heard people do that all day long — except this is different: One is stop play and one is in play,” Whateley said.

“That was never coming back any other way.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-ban-for-ivan-soldo-leaves-richmond-legend-matthew-richardson-stunned/news-story/5b7e6fbaffcd7d3936def922385c0ca3

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #212 on: May 23, 2019, 01:13:00 PM »
I agree with GW that it was OFF PLAY but the MRO has been carrying on all year that there was 'insufficient force' and 'no harm done' etc etc.

If they look at the incident without their goggles they can clearly see the force was negligible. There was an umpire right in front of it who didn't even give it 50m FFS.

CRIMINAL

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #213 on: May 23, 2019, 02:30:52 PM »
I agree with GW that it was OFF PLAY but the MRO has been carrying on all year that there was 'insufficient force' and 'no harm done' etc etc.

If they look at the incident without their goggles they can clearly see the force was negligible. There was an umpire right in front of it who didn't even give it 50m FFS.

CRIMINAL
So was the Mason Cox incident and he went off his line to collect Grimes and hit him much harder...... :shh :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #214 on: May 26, 2019, 08:43:22 PM »
If Soldo got a week for an off the ball, "intentional", high & low impact contact to the head then so should Ablett for his punch to Miles' face off the ball. But no doubt Christensen will let him off for the 3rd week in a row after Gary Jnr told the media it was only worth a free kick ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #215 on: May 27, 2019, 04:20:12 PM »
1 week, wanker.  Anyone else gives someone a cut lunch all hell breaks loose, he does punch like a b!tch I spose
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2019, 04:29:08 PM »
So I guess Fyfe gets Brownlow #2?

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #217 on: May 27, 2019, 06:20:54 PM »
So I guess Fyfe gets Brownlow #2?

I’d say there’s a few ahead of him at this stage

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #218 on: May 31, 2019, 10:58:57 PM »
It's a shame he didn't get suspended for the season. What a stuffin dud.

One of the most insipid performances I've seen a Richmond ruckman play
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #219 on: May 31, 2019, 11:11:24 PM »
It's a shame he didn't get suspended for the season. What a stuffin dud.

One of the most insipid performances I've seen a Richmond ruckman play
Dumb as a box of hammers too. Not sure if he even knows the rules. Gives away stupid free kicks by just not letting go of the tackle when the ball has gone.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ivan Soldo [merged]
« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2019, 11:15:42 PM »
I would be happy to never see that fool ever again
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #221 on: May 31, 2019, 11:16:12 PM »
Yep poor tonight. With his big frame the least he could have done was hit them as hard as he could!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #222 on: May 31, 2019, 11:51:57 PM »
Slomo the Knockout King - Hamspud Mk.II - time for Big Mabs... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #223 on: June 01, 2019, 12:17:13 AM »
Slomo the Knockout King - Hamspud Mk.II - time for Big Mabs... :shh
Against Stanley, an athletic ruck would be good.... :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #224 on: June 01, 2019, 12:25:06 AM »
 :shh :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.