Author Topic: Brandon Ellis to Gold Coast / Richmond receive pick 39 as compo [merged]  (Read 300486 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Brandon Ellis [merged]
« Reply #930 on: July 21, 2014, 06:19:51 PM »
So it's all about quantity not quality at the Tigers I take it?

Seems to be....as is applies to so many, too many
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #931 on: July 21, 2014, 06:36:29 PM »
WP, it isn't just his possession count that has improved in the past few weeks. His attack on the pill has also improved.
At 20, in his 3rd year I'd say he is now back on track after a slow start.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #932 on: July 21, 2014, 06:55:54 PM »
WP, it isn't just his possession count that has improved in the past few weeks. His attack on the pill has also improved.
At 20, in his 3rd year I'd say he is now back on track after a slow start.

Not disputing that. There' been improvement especially last game; was rapt to see him only pull out of one contest rather than multiple ones. but still think his numbers like many others are a tad flattering. Short dinky kicks are not great in quality

Also, just get sick of the club talking up numbers. Have plenty of blokes who get it plenty of times but the possessions mean very little. See exhibit A - S Grigg he averages 25-30 possessions a game but they rarely mean anything  ;D

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #933 on: July 21, 2014, 07:46:34 PM »

Also, just get sick of the club talking up numbers. Have plenty of blokes who get it plenty of times but the possessions mean very little. See exhibit A - S Grigg he averages 25-30 possessions a game but they rarely mean anything  ;D

The Griggster has his place in the scheme of things

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #934 on: July 22, 2014, 12:02:30 AM »

Agree, its at VFL level

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #935 on: July 22, 2014, 05:38:35 AM »

Agree, its at VFL level

At any club apart from ours
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #936 on: July 22, 2014, 06:17:26 PM »
With someone with a "massive tank" he does not work hard enough defensively. Is he trying to hard to rack up possies and not bothering defensively?

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #937 on: July 22, 2014, 06:32:33 PM »
With someone with a "massive tank" he does not work hard enough defensively. Is he trying to hard to rack up possies and not bothering defensively?

He's 20 years old and in his 3rd year. Give him another year or two. I'm kinda optimistic that if he can finish the year strongly and get another huge pre season he might have the attitude and capacity to fix that going into 2015.
It's that simple Spud

the claw

« Reply #938 on: July 22, 2014, 08:28:38 PM »
hmm a small. with a good run at it should click within the first two or three seasons. this he has done. over the following  two yrs or maybe 3 yrs is where most of the rest of his improvement should come.. after that id suggest upside is minimal for a sml.  this hes done he has clicked, he has some upside,  but i ask what does he bring to the table that will suggest he can become a very good player or even A  grader.

to cut it short ATM i dont see a hell of a lot of difference between Ellis and Grigg. his best attribute is his ability to run which he hasnt really used imo, and he only goes one way. hes been a turn over merchant by foot has made dumb mistakes, hasnt been a goal kicker, hasnt shown he can play on similar types and shut en down, he rarely breaks lines and top finish his softness has been cringe worthy.

it seems weather thru development or its just what we recruit ellis is another in a long long line of players who is very much a glass half full. ffs hes a top 20  pick he should be pretty  well rounded. i ask is he though.
i really hope there is still plenty of upside left in him but for a sml the clock is well and truly ticking. not sold on him and for me its a tough decision atm on which weak prick we play ellis or grigg.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #939 on: July 22, 2014, 08:37:18 PM »
The problem is he shouldn't need to fix a lack of defensive intensity. Sure they can get better defensively but the effort should be there from day dot

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #940 on: July 22, 2014, 10:54:26 PM »
I think the coaches let him get away with too much defensively.
He is far better than Grigg. Carlton tagged him in last years elim for a reason.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #941 on: July 22, 2014, 11:24:31 PM »
massive upgrade on grigg

runs more faster long
less squiby
gets more ball
younger
more upside

etc. light years

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #942 on: July 23, 2014, 07:02:57 AM »
massive upgrade on grigg

less squiby

Highly debatable at this stage

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #943 on: July 23, 2014, 11:30:10 AM »
I don't think Grigg is a squib, he just never puts himself in a position to go into a contest but when he is he does look like he goes in.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #944 on: July 23, 2014, 05:44:26 PM »
Standing three feet away twidding ones thumps getting ready to run forwards is an act of squibyness

Ellis is prone to this too. Pettard at times. Bacha.