Author Topic: Tom Lynch [merged]  (Read 410351 times)

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tom Lynch is a Tiger [official]
« Reply #1335 on: May 05, 2019, 11:48:11 PM »
Honestly missed most of the preseason new team and environment get a grip.We got a monster forward the fact is we cant even hit a pass to him or utilize him to his strengths 'the issue no cohesion between midfield and forward line.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Robbo: $1 million question on Tom (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1336 on: May 06, 2019, 09:02:08 PM »
Robbo: $1 million question on Tom

Mark Robinson,
CHIEF FOOTBALL WRITER,
Herald Sun
6 May 2019

Richmond’s Tom Lynch and his troublesome knee might have hit a wall.

If it’s not his knee, then he’s in a terrible rut.

He’s kicked one goal in his past three games and while the Tigers won two of those games, Saturday night’s loss to the Western Bulldogs has exposed Lynch’s ordinary form.

Up one end, 19-year-old Bulldog Aaron Naughton took nine contested marks and kicked five goals from his team’s 52 entries.

Up the other end, Lynch took three marks and kicked a behind from 48 entries.

Naughton took all before him, while Lynch couldn’t shake veteran defender Jackson Trengove.

Commentator Matthew Richardson noted: “Lynch is having trouble getting separation.”

Midfield delivery plays a role in any forward’s performance, but there’s something about Lynch in these past three weeks that is of concern.

He’s lost his mojo and is playing kind of meekly and you have to wonder if the lack of pre-season training because of a knee operation has caught him out.

Fox Footy commentator Alastair Lynch, once a powerhouse forward for the Lions, believes the Tiger spearhead has lost his power and aggression.

“He was certainly restricted in his past 18 months (up here) because of knee complaints, so he has lost a lot of his power,” he said.

“He was a powerful athlete, he had a little bit of a nasty streak in him, but there’s no doubt his last couple of seasons he wasn’t 100 per cent fit and struggled to get through.

“I agree, I think he looks like he lost a bit of power.

“You can wind up into reasonable speed even though you’ve got injuries, it’s just getting off the mark, but when you’re playing key position those first couple of metres is when you need it, to get out of the blocks. He still may be sore.

“The games I’ve seen, he still hasn’t captured the form of a couple of years ago, that power, that aggression that he had.”

In the first three games of the season Lynch kicked three, three and four goals.

Then he booted six goals in a matchwinning effort in Round 4 against Port Adelaide.

But he’s only taken 23 marks, 12 of which have been contested.

All up, it’s 17 goals from seven games which is a meagre return for a player who is expected to earn close to a $1 million a season over the next seven seasons.

Jonathan Brown, another powerhouse forward, saw Lynch dismantle Port Adelaide.

“He was the difference and I think he’s getting back to decent footy,” Brown said.

“I wasn’t expecting him to absolutely dominate, I reckon it’s going to take a while to get his legs back after that operation.

“He strikes me as a guy who needs continuity, continuity in his running because he’s always been a leader and his ability to read the footy in the air.

“I’m not going to judge him harshly as probably lot of people would when they purely look at his numbers.”

Brown once said Lynch would be the best key forward in the game, a comment he’s not taking back.

“It’s too early to judge seven games into his comeback,” Brown said.

“It’s been a significant injury for Tom and this for a bloke who relies on his movement as a tool and his ability to jump and take contested marks.

“We can’t judge Tom until the second half of the season.

“He's going to take time to get his strength back.

“Remember he didn’t train with the main group until two weeks before Round 1.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/richmonds-boom-recruit-tom-lynch-hits-wall-as-goals-marks-dry-up/news-story/b99a13c3937ca8009bfc404e12a831df

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1337 on: May 06, 2019, 09:16:37 PM »
Our forward line entries are a complete disgrace and any big forward would struggle.

I'll back Tom in

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1338 on: May 06, 2019, 09:16:56 PM »
Lynch only on $500k this year according Mick Warner on Talking Footy. He added any talk of Lynch being on a million dollars is crap.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1339 on: May 06, 2019, 09:25:37 PM »
For a guy coming off a knee op, that haven’t played much footy in the past 2 years, with minimal preseason, and in a new side with different teammates and a different game plan, I think he has been ok.
Blind Freddy can see he is not moving that well but like most stars, he is out there having a pretty decent go. The easiest thing for him to do now is have a rest and get people off his back but I bet he doesn’t.

Also if you have watched our games at all over the past 3 season, we are not a team that relies on a big forward to win is games. Whoever plays there is like everyone else and just playing a roll.
To the extent we basically changed the way Jack plays his footy to suit our game plan.

From my point of view he is about where I thought he may be. It’s others around him that are down IMO.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1340 on: May 06, 2019, 10:00:34 PM »
When characters like Matthew Lloyd and Jackster align in their potting that’s when I turn off

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1341 on: May 06, 2019, 10:14:19 PM »
For a guy coming off a knee op, that haven’t played much footy in the past 2 years, with minimal preseason, and in a new side with different teammates and a different game plan, I think he has been ok.
Blind Freddy can see he is not moving that well but like most stars, he is out there having a pretty decent go. The easiest thing for him to do now is have a rest and get people off his back but I bet he doesn’t.

Also if you have watched our games at all over the past 3 season, we are not a team that relies on a big forward to win is games. Whoever plays there is like everyone else and just playing a roll.
To the extent we basically changed the way Jack plays his footy to suit our game plan.

From my point of view he is about where I thought he may be. It’s others around him that are down IMO.

^^^^ this

:clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1342 on: May 07, 2019, 02:48:55 AM »
Matthew Lloyd has called Lynch a liability on both 3aw and Footy Classified.

------------------------------------------

'Liability': AFL legend's massive sledge for gun recruit

AFL legend Matthew Lloyd has pulled no punches in a scathing assessment of superstar Richmond Tigers signing Tom Lynch.

Lynch was held goalless in the Tigers' 47-point defeat by the Western Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night, leaving him with just one goal from his past three matches.

His five possessions were the fewest of any player on the ground and he struggled to have an impact in the air matched up on Bulldogs veteran Jackson Trengove.

Lynch's current form is in stark contrast to a stellar opening month after his move from Gold Coast when he booted 16 goals in four games.

The former Essendon Bombers star forward said Lynch was “a liability” for the Tigers.

“He’s a massive concern,” Lloyd said on 3AW.

“He’s turning like I would as a 41 year-old. That’s a big sledge.”

Lloyd compared Lynch’s output to that of GWS Giants star Jeremy Cameron, arguably the top key forward in the competition at present.

The player-turned-commentator said Lynch needed to do more outside of his comfort zone.

“Unless he can mark it or get it lace out, he’s a liability,” he said.

“Unless he marks the ball, he’s not effective as an AFL player.”

Lynch, who underwent knee surgeries in June and November last year, joined Richmond on a heavily back-ended seven-year deal.

The 26-year-old will be paid roughly $500,000 for each of the next three years.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/liability-afl-legends-massive-sledge-for-gun-recruit-092700661.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Essendon great Matthew Lloyd labels Richmond star Tom Lynch a 'liability' on the ground

By Chris De Silva
wwos.Nine.com.au
7 May 2019

Essendon great Matthew Lloyd has said Richmond forward Tom Lynch is a liability to the forward line after a tough few weeks.

After his off-season move to the Tigers, Lynch has kicked 17 goals in his first seven games at Tigerland, but has managed a total of 20 disposals and one goal in the past three weeks.

Speaking on Footy Classified, Lloyd explained the reasons behind his concerns surrounding the Tigers star's fit in the forward line.

"In straight lines, his knees might be a big issue," he said.

"Tom's kicked 17 goals in seven games, but it all has to come in a straight line.

"Tom's averaging eight disposals a game. He can't turn, he can't get back on the ball, he can't lay pressure.

"Unless he's kicking two or three goals a game, I think he is a liability at ground level at the Tigers. I think he needs a massive pre-season."

However, despite Lloyd's concerns, Footy Classified co-panellist Chris Judd defended the Tigers star, comparing him to this year's Coleman Medal favourite, GWS Giants star Jeremy Cameron.

"You can only judge them by what they're dishing up on the field," he said.

"We look at Jeremy Cameron last year, we know now he was playing with a broken toe, and we weren't talking glowingly of his performances.

"I think Tom Lynch coming off a PCL reconstruction, I think he's going to move a lot better next year. I think we've got to give him a little bit more time."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/matthew-lloyd-concerned-with-progress-of-richmond-forward-tom-lynch/404d3832-3c5b-42fb-939b-2657aba894b6

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1344 on: May 07, 2019, 05:07:41 AM »
Bunch of clowns this media if you told me he's got 17 goals in 7 games I'll take that missed preseason and a lot of footy amature stuff.

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #1345 on: May 07, 2019, 07:05:38 AM »
When characters like Matthew Lloyd and Jackster align in their potting that’s when I turn off

Mate
I rarely miss a training session
Open or closed session
He is struggling
I am with Matty Lloyd on this one , he is a liability . No defensive pressure and hopeless below his knees🤦‍♂️
How many games of AFL you play Chucky ??? 👌

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1346 on: May 07, 2019, 09:53:01 AM »

Mate
I rarely miss a training session
Open or closed session
He is struggling
I am with Matty Lloyd on this one , he is a liability . No defensive pressure and hopeless below his knees🤦‍♂️
How many games of AFL you play Chucky ??? 👌
The problem is it’s not his fault that he is being selected when he is clearly underdone. So don’t have a go at him. Have a go at the selection committee.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #1347 on: May 07, 2019, 11:22:05 AM »
I know it's been said but the only clean delivery he got against the dogs was from Stack.
Plus he is the sole focus of the defense but with Jack there he gets a much better run at it.

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #1348 on: May 07, 2019, 11:33:12 AM »
He isn’t under done at all
He is carrying an injury and shouldn’t be playing but once you run out you give your best
I have no doubt he is carrying a quad / groin injury that he injured at training 2 weeks ago
Limped off at closed session when kicked the ground having a shot at goal
Irrelevant what the club say and we all know Balmey tell the truth 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Last two weeks  has been embarrassing
Don’t play him I say
But who really cares what I think
Same as Dusty before Preliminary last year . Couldn’t even do the ladder run throughs at training but out he runs 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1349 on: May 07, 2019, 01:16:47 PM »
So after round 4 he had kicked 16 goals, avging 4 goals per game and leading the competition.

Your then saying he picked up something in training and has been playing injured for the past few weeks and has been a liability.

So your calling him a hack and saying it’s going to be a long 7 years with his contract on the books based on his form playing injured? ::)