Author Topic: Sheeds has another dig at Richmond  (Read 3582 times)

jackstar is back again

Re: Sheeds has another dig at Richmond
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 11:11:59 PM »
I dont think Jack is spinning it at all...

I dont know if he was a junior talent scout for RFC...but i do know that he was an assistant coach of the WA State Schoolboys team.

see: http://www.stateschoolboys.com.au/2004/index2004.html

It says Absent Mark Merenda Assistant Coach...

As for the real estate...that started in 2006 didnt it?

It would not be too hard a jump from assistant coach in the schoolboys to scouting for rfc...or even letting them know about the schoolboys he was coaching....

Thanks Con :thumbsup

Ox

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 11:24:53 PM »
I've heard Mark Merenda was scouting before as well.
Not sure if it was done in earnest or not though

Choco loves footy nearly as much as his sister...but she loves Cuzzy,secretly.
The Merendas definitely work in the bizness side of football - everybody knows that ffs!

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2010, 01:21:42 AM »
Can tell you this.
Mark Meranda did  do work for the RFC in 2004 and 2005.
He also attended West Coast and Freo training sessions when we were play them
He also did opposition analysis on West Coast and Freo game in WA up to 3 weeks in advance from when we due to play them..
He also watched WAFL games when requested.
As Con said, he was involved with School Boy football in WA before he got into real estate.
In 2004 and 2005, there were up 13 people Australian wide involved in actively looking at recuiting.
Each person was issued templates and would assess players on both teams of the games they watched and this was then put into a dat base at the club.
What has happened in 2006 onwards, I dont know

interesting info considering we learned recently that at the end of 2005 when we recruited Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls from East Perth no-one from the club had seen him play.
 :banghead :banghead :banghead
The club that keeps giving.

Con65

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 10:12:50 AM »
interesting info considering we learned recently that at the end of 2005 when we recruited Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls from East Perth no-one from the club had seen him play.
 :banghead :banghead :banghead

tigra...that comment..from whichever source has to be absolute BS...and what does no one from the club mean?...does that mean no one employed from RFC as it is currently comprised?...

JON played at the under 16s national carnival and then under 18s national champs in 05.  Did no one from RFC go to see WA in the under 16s and then later in 2005 the under18 champs?  I sincerely doubt that. It would be astounding that no one from the club saw him play before they drafted him...I just dont believe it.

I dont know if they held the pre-draft night in 05 (from memory I think it started in 06)...if it was on that year someone can tell us, but from the pre-draft nights I have gone to (07) and (08)  Miller/FJ saw all kids we drafted...

Further, some recruiters (not nec RFC) invited him to the draft camp....

Here is what Footy Draft had to say about JON in its mock draft in 05:

Background:
Oakley Nichols has got all the attributes that a recruiting officer would look for - pace, skill, agility, height, athleticism and dedication. After the WAFL 16s carnival he would have been one of the first picked for the 16s team as he dominated some games playing ruck, full forward, wing, rover and centre half forward. He looked a class above and proved to be one of the hardest players to match up on. In the National 16s carnival he had a good but not awesome carnival as he did in the 18s this year. He played very well in colts level footy and held his own in senior football. His stakes have risen through out the year as more people have seen him, he could develop into a player that people pay money to watch, he plays an exciting brand of football and could be compared to a Robert Murphy type player. Impressed in the agility and 20m sprint tests at draft camp.

http://www.footydraft.com/players.php?player=jarrad_oakley-nicholls

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 10:37:36 AM »
Like it or not, Francis Jackson highly rated JON, he said as much at the pre-draft supporter function

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 10:58:04 AM »
Like it or not, Francis Jackson highly rated JON, he said as much at the pre-draft supporter function

it astounds me he still has a job.

Dimma needs to get rid of this clown ASAP before he does more damage
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Con65

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 11:27:23 AM »

Infamy...thanks for that...was that the first year the pre-draft night started?

As for rating JON....a lot of people rated him.

IMHO, RFC in the 04 to 07/08 years did not have the right development system/coaching in place to bring kids on.  Maybe even earlier.

Look at how many kids we drafted with potential that never made it.  You would have to ask why?  IMHO the development wasn't right.  Not every kid is going to be a Scully Trengove or Martin and hit the ground running from round 1.  Some kids take time to develop.  If you look at the RFC list and the amount of kids that walked through the door, it is frightening to see how many did not make it.  Collingwood, as much as i hate the pies, develop their kids better. Whether it is Malthouse or the development coaches, i do not know, but they seem to have more hits with their selections than we do.

Jack - you were there in 04 to 06 - what developement system and coaches did we have in place and how did you rate them?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 12:25:30 PM »

Infamy...thanks for that...was that the first year the pre-draft night started?

As for rating JON....a lot of people rated him.

IMHO, RFC in the 04 to 07/08 years did not have the right development system/coaching in place to bring kids on.  Maybe even earlier.

Look at how many kids we drafted with potential that never made it.  You would have to ask why?  IMHO the development wasn't right.  Not every kid is going to be a Scully Trengove or Martin and hit the ground running from round 1.  Some kids take time to develop.  If you look at the RFC list and the amount of kids that walked through the door, it is frightening to see how many did not make it.  Collingwood, as much as i hate the pies, develop their kids better. Whether it is Malthouse or the development coaches, i do not know, but they seem to have more hits with their selections than we do.

Jack - you were there in 04 to 06 - what developement system and coaches did we have in place and how did you rate them?

con someone on here recelty said it was only until this year we got a Full Time weights coach.

Adding to that we have had the same fitness and conditioning coach Hornsby down there since 2005. :banghead :banghead :banghead
That says it all.

look at our players. Thursfield, still a rake. Been in the system yet still cant bulk up.  :banghead :banghead

your damm right its a development thing just as much as choosing duds

if anyone has any pull down there can they please get rid of these duds ASAP.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 12:29:46 PM »

:lol

Helloooooo, Jack, where are you?

:lol

Con65

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 01:37:31 PM »
Adding to that we have had the same fitness and conditioning coach Hornsby down there since 2005.

I think the sports science/fitness will be the next area overhauled....

We will never be competitive whilst we keep putting light framed players out against built up bruts.  But adding weight takes time....Daniel...i actually thought Thursty looked ok in the upper body on the weekend...in fact i made that exact comment to a mate whilst watching the game that he looks about the only one that seems to have bulked up a little.

Not saying the being bulked up will guarantee you a win...look at hawks post '08.  Lewis Hodge buddy roughie brown etc all still big bods but cant win....but you pretty much NEVER see a team of lightweights winning consistently or winning finals...

Just look at Geelong...against our kids 2 weeks ago...enough said.

No bulk= broken or non stick tackles.  Too many times we see our tackles not sticking cos not enough weight/strength behind them...nahas and tambling try hard but 75 and 80 kg guys dont have teh same effect as 90kg guys...or for that matter 100kg guys...go look at Nic Nats tackes...when 100kg hits you at speed...you go down...ball spills...etc...
no wonder we are last in tackles per game.  see: http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/fts_team_rankings?type=TA&year=2010&sby=6