Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 285808 times)

Offline Wazza

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #2955 on: Today at 02:36:07 PM »
Considering the AFL is a multi million if not billion dollar industry, we still have under paid and to be fair poor quality umpires. Along with the shocking score review system in place, surely the AFL should be spending more money in this area. Some of the decisions we have seen across the league this year have been shocking, from balls out of bounds, score reviews that aren't required and of course the obvious missed calls that all can see. These missed calls can turn a game, and especially when there is betting agencies involved, this continued ignorance should not continue as it is more than just a game these days.
Train the umps correctly, pay them more and penalise poor mistakes and missed calls so that they learn not to make them again.
Sorry for the rant...I didn't expect to actually write this much. I just get sick of having things not paid to us that the other teams get in the same game. We dont lose games due to these calls but it can definitely change a specific play.
Anyways....there's always next week
 :banghead

Meanwhile the AFL is floating the idea of premiership/grand final rings which wouldn't be cheap :-\

Just goes to show the business model of the AFL is to keep their favourite teams/CEOs/sponsers happy and really forget about the fans who pay their wages and support the game we love.

We aren't the NFL do we really need rings? Think of something original!!!

Can you really see see Dusty and co. walking the streets with a rings on???  :shh

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2956 on: Today at 02:42:38 PM »
Considering the AFL is a multi million if not billion dollar industry, we still have under paid and to be fair poor quality umpires. Along with the shocking score review system in place, surely the AFL should be spending more money in this area. Some of the decisions we have seen across the league this year have been shocking, from balls out of bounds, score reviews that aren't required and of course the obvious missed calls that all can see. These missed calls can turn a game, and especially when there is betting agencies involved, this continued ignorance should not continue as it is more than just a game these days.
Train the umps correctly, pay them more and penalise poor mistakes and missed calls so that they learn not to make them again.
Sorry for the rant...I didn't expect to actually write this much. I just get sick of having things not paid to us that the other teams get in the same game. We dont lose games due to these calls but it can definitely change a specific play.

Meanwhile the AFL is floating the idea of premiership/grand final rings which wouldn't be cheap :-\

Just goes to show the business model of the AFL is to keep their favourite teams/CEOs/sponsers happy and really forget about the fans who pay their wages and support the game we love.

Can you really see see Dusty and co. walking the streets with a rings on???  :shh

Why must we blindly follow absolutely everything the yanks do? Might as well just make Fatchison CEO of the AFL - he wants to seppo-ise the stuff out of the game.... :facepalm
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2957 on: Today at 03:08:20 PM »

Why must we blindly follow absolutely everything the yanks do? Might as well just make Fatchison CEO of the AFL - he wants to seppo-ise the stuff out of the game.... :facepalm

I bet the umpires get them as well and they will proudly wear them

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2958 on: Today at 03:14:40 PM »

I bet the umpires get them as well and they will proudly wear them

...during games....even if they're umpired 10 grand finals.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.