Author Topic: State of Origin [merged]  (Read 17381 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: State of Origin - Bushfire relief match [merged]
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2020, 12:24:53 PM »
6 Tigers named:

Vic: Dusty, Cotch, Lynch, Houli.

Allies: Riewoldt, Edwards.

Source: SEN.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2020, 12:29:10 PM »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2020, 01:12:26 PM »
Cool...six potential injuries to six of our most important players.... :help
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2020, 10:49:44 PM »
This has my full endorsement. Great cause and it’s be fun seeing rampage Riewoldt team up with Cripps again. Martin Danger and Bont in the middle would be a great look.

Let’s just hope the AFL divvy up more of the proceeds to the people who need it better than the red cross

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2020, 04:10:07 AM »
..or at least better than that talentless, unfunny, loudmouthed cow who hosted the fire fight concert... :shh
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:09:32 AM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2020, 03:26:34 PM »
The Richmond star Hardwick has avoided since Bushfire squad announcement

By Nic Negrepontis
SEN
18 Feb 2020

Richmond has six players taking part in the Bushfire Relief game, but Victorian coach Damien Hardwick felt bad about leaving a few more out.

One in particular – midfielder Dion Prestia – is someone the Tigers coach has attempted to avoid since the naming of the team on Tuesday.

Prestia has been bugging Hardwick since he was named as coach, telling the Herald Sun last week that he asked him about selection at every possible opportunity.

“I avoided Dion like you wouldn’t believe this week,” Hardwick told Sportsday.

“I gave him the old you’re in my side, but not the other blokes'.

“It’s so hard. It was amazing when you sit there and try to piece together a side, the quality of players we’ve got in this league is staggering.

“The players that were left out I felt incredibly embarrassed about, but trying to pick one player to replace another, it was quite easy to do, but I think the players we picked really deserved it.”

Hardwick will get the opportunity to coach the likes of Scott Pendlebury, Patrick Dangerfield, Robbie Gray, Marcus Bontempelli, Jeremy Cameron and other superstars.

He is excited to see how these players ply their trade behind closed doors and is hoping to learn from their expertise.

“I don’t get to see these players behind closed doors either so it is going to be really exciting for us in the coaching staff to see how players do prepare and what they bring to the table and what they’re like from a voice factor also,” he said.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/02/18/the-richmond-star-hardwick-has-avoided-since-bushfire-squad-announcement/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2020, 03:27:11 PM »
Star Tiger calls for more State-of-Origin games

Glenn McFarlane
Herald Sun
19 Feb 2020

Dual Richmond premiership defender Bachar Houli will live out a childhood dream by representing Victoria in Friday week’s Bushfire Relief fundraiser and wants to ensure AFL stars of the future get the same chance in the years to come.

Houli said he dearly wanted to see a State-of-Origin clash become a semi-regular event, saying the AFL should take note of how the best players in the competition have rallied behind such a worthy cause.

He was one of six Tigers named in the two 27-men squads, with Houli, Dustin Martin, Tom Lynch and Trent Cotchin to don the big V while Shane Edwards and Jack Riewoldt will play for the All-Stars.

Watch every match of the Marsh Community Series AFL pre-season comp LIVE & On-Demand on KAYO. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

“Honestly, in my whole career, I never thought I would get this opportunity,” Houli said. “I am extremely humbled by it. At the age of 31, to be able to represent the ‘Big V’ is something that is very special and something I will honour for the rest of my life.”

“It (state games) is something that was missing for a few years and there are obviously reasons for that.

“But having this (game) is the beginning of something new.

“It’s a pity it is towards the end of my career … (but) hopefully from this, it is going to create something special moving forward.”

Edwards said he had no doubt that although there is only pride on the line, the competitive juices would ensure a high standard given the array of stars as well as a tough and tight contest.

He cited the recent NBA All-Stars game where it got very serious late in the contest when the game was in the balance.

“You can’t go in half-hearted, you pretty much have to go in as hard as you can,” Edwards said.

“As the game goes on, and quarters tick over, you would rather be on the winning side than the losing one.”

A recent trip to the Lakes Entrance region in Gippsland to speak with those affected by the bushfires deeply affected Houli.

“It was mind blowing,” Houli said.

“When we first turned up, the locals were a bit hesitant but once they felt comfortable, they opened up and shared a few personal stories.

“One that springs to mind was the young kids locked in the community hall and hearing that roaring fire.

“You can see the impact it had on the community. All we can do is to keep supporting them and showing them there is light at the end of the tunnel.”

Shane Edwards has put his hand up to be the “run-with” player on teammate Bachar Houli in the bushfire relief game, but has no interest in shadowing Dustin Martin.

Edwards joked when asked if he could play on Martin: “Run with Dusty … I could probably run with him but when the ball gets there I might be useless.”

“I might be in the team just to tag Bachar.

“We might start the game on each other and we might end the game on each other.”

The versatile Tiger said he would be “running around with stars in my eyes” playing for the All-Stars against Victoria.

Asked which All-Stars teammate he was most looking forward to playing with, he said: “Where do you start? (Nat) Fyfe, (Patrick) Cripps, Elliot Yeo and seeing what Michael Walters does up close will be great. I’ve seen it from the other side, and it can be pretty devastating.”

“Then, there’s Brodie Grundy. I don’t know, I will be running around with stars in my eyes.”

He said the All-Stars might have to adopt the “Big A’ moniker to compete with the “Big V” as the two sides prepare to do battle on Friday week.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/bachar-houli-will-live-out-a-childhood-dream-by-donning-the-big-v-and-he-wants-future-stars-to-get-the-same-opportunity/news-story/bb40483003b9342113e9ac155c332546

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2020, 01:22:57 PM »
Every Richmond player will be wearing their usual number:

VICTORIA

1. Jade Gresham
2. Shaun Higgins
3. Andrew Gaff
4. Dustin Martin
5. Toby Greene
6. Lachie Whitfield
7. Marcus Bontempelli
8. Robbie Gray
9. Trent Cotchin
10. Scott Pendlebury
11. Jack Macrae
12. Tom Papley
13. Stefan Martin
14. Bachar Houli
15. Ben Cunnington
18. Jeremy Cameron
19. Tom Lynch
20. Nick Haynes
21. James Sicily
22. Todd Goldstein
23. Josh Kelly
24. Steele Sidebottom
30. Darcy Moore
31. Rory Sloane
35. Patrick Dangerfield
42. Adam Saad
44. Jake Lloyd
46. Mark Blicavs

ALL-STARS
1. Michael Walters
2. Zach Tuohy
3. Stephen Coniglio
4. Brodie Grundy
5. Brad Sheppard
6. Elliot Yeo
7. Nat Fyfe
8. Jack Riewoldt
9. Patrick Cripps
10. Shane Edwards
12. Callum Mills
13. Taylor Walker
14. Lachie Weller
15. Dayne Zorko
16. Isaac Smith
17. Lachie Neale
18. Scott Lycett
22. Luke Breust
23. Charlie Cameron
26. Tom Hawkins
29. Rory Laird
31. Harris Andrews
32. Bradley Hill
33. Brodie Smith
38. Jeremy Howe
39. Neville Jetta
40. Jason Johannisen

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/568184/tigers-to-wear-club-numbers-for-bushfire-relief

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2020, 01:43:29 PM »
Nice to see all the Tiges get their numbers :)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2020, 07:37:16 PM »
Cotch has been named Victorian captain  :thumbsup.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2020, 10:00:25 AM »
I love Cotch and despite being a great captain he's clearly not in the best 50 AFL players for me anymore on talent alone.

Glad he got the captain's gig though. Pendlebury will just have to take a back seat :)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2020, 08:36:12 PM »
Cotch had 10 disposals in the first qtr. Got the Vics back in the game.

Dusty with 2 goals already.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2020, 09:21:33 PM »
Lynch and the other big key forwards all quiet. It's a half-back counterattack running game without the usual modern defensive structures. It's too fast for the big blokes.

Sheds as silky skilled as ever  :clapping.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2020, 10:02:59 PM »
Just not Big Tommy's night. At least he can blow the cobwebs away in this game before the real stuff.

Jack is all footy smarts :bow.

I haven't noticed Cotch on the ground that much since 1/4 time. Perhaps Dimma is being careful with Cotch's minutes given his hammy probs last year.