Author Topic: Feel a Geelong Coming On  (Read 6568 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Feel a Geelong Coming On
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 11:23:30 AM »
It was an insipid loss.

Insipid losses inevitably result in a WAT thread about the sky falling in or us being a non deserving weak club, or something like that.

I waited, and bingo, here it is.

Next week, we will beat GWS, who cares.
Week after we will beat Essendon, they are gone and it will prove nothing.

If we happen to win a final the week after potentially in a rematch against Essendon or Carlton, he will inevitably start some sort of positive "i told you all" thread regarding some player that performed well.

Or post 17 "i told you all" posts in already existing threads.

LOL, WAT

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Love the people that still accept mediocracy!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

gerkin greg

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2013, 11:29:08 AM »
you cracy bro cracy

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2013, 11:30:42 AM »
 :lol
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2013, 11:32:01 AM »
If Richmond would just hire Claw Al, it would happen  :bow

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »
I feel a grog bog coming on. Benders are bad mm'kay and so is this thread

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2013, 11:33:28 AM »
i have $100.00 that says we dont mnake the 8 next season. im prepared to donate it to the jdf  or ftf anyone else want to put up.

i will say again. while we have improved the lis, t we have not built anything that is sustainable. we are a long way of top 4 and are in a log jam to make finals with about 12  14  other teams.
there is plenty wrong with our list and if we fail to vigorously recruit and develop thinking the work has been done, we will fail abysmally.

we are in a national competition that has basically turned professional with just 18 teams all aiming for the same thing. i reckon most massively overlook the competition and what has to constantly happen just to improve.

Are you related to Robert Walls ? (apparently he is negative and lives in his own misery)
Unleash the tornado

the claw

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2013, 11:35:54 AM »
Some can only hope
lol if i associated hope to richmond i would have cut both wrists yrs ago.i dont hope we fail im just realistic about where we sit in the scheme of things.
the REALITY  is we are miles off being a top side and we are in a constant dog fight with plenty of other sides just to make finals.
it is not unrealistic to think we could miss finals next yr with the current list.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2013, 11:59:27 AM »
the REALITY  is we are miles off being a top side and we are in a constant dog fight with plenty of other sides just to make finals.
it is not unrealistic to think we could miss finals next yr with the current list.

Personally have certainly not considered us a 'top side" this year, think we are still a couple years off that.

Because IMHO you need to be playing finals consistently to judge because that's what the top sides (Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney, C'wood) do they play finals consistently. This season we have taken the first step by making finals and it is a bloody important step. Next step is to back it up in 2014 and that is a massive challenge

However, I'd rather be where we are right now compared to where we were 3 years ago. We are builiding towards being a good side. It is clear that the Club's planning has been maticulous in the building of the list. Not everyone (me inlcuded) agree with the decision, choices they've made but it cannot be ignored that those decision have resulted in us being in the position of playing finals for the first time in over a decade

Do we still have gaps in the list? Absolutely that isn't in dispute. And I've got no doubt those gaps will be addressed this FA period, trade period and draft.

But the gaps are not as glaring as they were 3 seasons ago or even 12 months ago and that I don't believe can be disputed
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

the claw

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2013, 12:32:43 PM »

Personally have certainly not considered us a 'top side" this year, think we are still a couple years off that.

Because IMHO you need to be playing finals consistently to judge because that's what the top sides (Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney, C'wood) do they play finals consistently. This season we have taken the first step by making finals and it is a bloody important step.
yet most ridicule me when i suggest over the next 2 or 3 drafts we will turn over half the list.  i even go as far to name those most likely in the gun atm.

geelong hawthorn collingwood and sydney all regular finalists  have done just that cut close to half their lists in the 2010 2011 2012 trade draft periods. and they are regular finals sides. they dont stand still and they dont rest on their laurels.
we have plenty who have had 3 4 and more yrs and we have to make a decision on them. some  dont perform to a decent standard consistently  not even at coburg.  some  dont have good skillsets and some dont even have the right physical attributes to play at the level. some have all 3 failings yet we hang on.

Offline HKTiger

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2013, 01:01:02 PM »
......... some have all 3 failings yet we hang on.

Says you and you alone.  Don't see the club doing that at all.  See the club using all facets well.  Recruited as many 18 year olds last year as any other club.  But hey don't let the truth get in the way of entertaining us.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2013, 01:08:56 PM »
It seems Claw thinks we are supposed to go from bottom 4 to genuine contenders with the best list in the history of the game without scraping into the finals at least once maybe even a few times. It's a long process and we are bound to fall into finals a couple of times and not make an impact.

the claw

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »
......... some have all 3 failings yet we hang on.

Says you and you alone.  Don't see the club doing that at all.  See the club using all facets well.  Recruited as many 18 year olds last year as any other club.  But hey don't let the truth get in the way of entertaining us.
what has that got to do with expecting the club to assess and cut players from the list.
i for one congratulated them on the way they went about recruiting last yr i just didnt agree on many of the players taken. ive argued pretty hard for a long time  that recruiting is about keeping your early picks and targeting good mature players who meet good criteria with later picks . but hey lets paint old claw in a different light shall we.

id like nothing more than to see us use 5nd picks this yr and take another 3 or 4  f/a  mature afl and state league types this coming draft/trade/rookie  period. i wanted  similar last yr

but of course to do that you have to cut players and we just cant have that now can we. after all we have a premiership list. ::)

jack hannath has done well in his first yr at afl. sam dwyer says high along with brent moloney aaron black and kyle martin.  they are just some of the players i thought we should target last yr.
i believe i said while happy with vlastuin who i defended on this site as a bloody good player i thought brodie grundy a worthy pick 9 and a greater list need.
ah well it seems i know nothing.
i believe i supported us taking a edwards for no other reason than we only had ohanlon on the list who you could classify as a medium sized forward.

i have advocated we try hard for scott lycett or billy longer for obvious reasons. theres a few wafl players i think we should have a look at . imo it would not be hard to improve our list and fill holes but that means we turn over players.and we cant have that.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2013, 02:10:07 PM »
got a challenge for you claude.
at this years draft, rather than rattle of a dozen or so names and then over time keep harping on about the few that look like they will urn out OK, give us ONE name for each selection, of players that are available at that pick, and then we see how you stack up.
you see thats what the recruiters have to do. they don't have the luxury of numerous options and whittling it down over time to the ones showing something.

One selection - One name

the claw

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2013, 07:08:01 PM »
got a challenge for you claude.
at this years draft, rather than rattle of a dozen or so names and then over time keep harping on about the few that look like they will urn out OK, give us ONE name for each selection, of players that are available at that pick, and then we see how you stack up.
you see thats what the recruiters have to do. they don't have the luxury of numerous options and whittling it down over time to the ones showing something.

One selection - One name
geez and here i was thinking i pretty much do that every yr.
an example being i wanted jake stringer and said if hes gone vlaustin. i also argued that if the talk was right and grundy was goint to slip we should take grundy over both as he met a more pressing list need.i didnt think for a minute he would slip.
i nominate mature players before their drafts  and i nominate in order before the draft who i think we should take and its damn right insulting of you to imply otherwise.
some of us have the guts to put it out there only to opened up to ridicule from the likes of you.
for what its worth and i will only do the first rounders

2012 grundy but as stated i really liked vlaustin defended him on this site  and was not upset we got him.
2011 kavanagh was hoping adams would get to our pick.
2010 heppell was ropeable we did not take this kid. i thought him a top 3 selection. i continue to argue  the conca selection  an over reach.just like i thought the batchelor selection an over reach.
2009 morabito it was a toss up between him and martin. there was 4 standouts and these two were two of em.i went morabito because i had seen more of him being a wa lad.again was pleased we got martin.
2008 ziebell wanted rich if he was there. but he went one pick before our pick so went ziebll.
2007 cotchin he and kruezer were standouts.
2006 was always a riewoldt fan,  didnt think he would last and liked james sellar and jacks fellow tassie in mitch thorpe.  lucky for me eh jack got to  our pick.
2005 hurn i always considered him a top 5 pick. i was gobsmacked that miller trotted out jon on the  rookie draft night and as such i  caused a huge ruckus.
2004 deledio he and griffen were the standouts for me.
2003 we traded out of pick 6, beau waters was a favorite of mine despite his lack of kicking skills. i also liked ryley dunn.  our first pick was at 19 and i  fell over laughing when alex gilmores name was read out.  i went for a lad called mathew moody from kelmscott.
every single one i nominated before the draft or immediately after the draft was done. theres 10 yrs worth there pick away.

first rounders are easy i can do the second rounders as well if you like.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2013, 07:18:08 PM »
no you dont normally do that.you will list multiple choices and as time goes by you just dont mention the ones looking like flops.
Im asking for one name for each pick that we have draft night, no more.