Author Topic: Neil Balme - 'On the Mark' interview  (Read 556 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Neil Balme - 'On the Mark' interview
« on: July 27, 2018, 01:24:05 AM »
Neil Balme - 'On the Mark' interview

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2018-07-26/balme-on-the-mark

1) Spoken to players about Geelongs inability to go back to back.

2) Said how he’s a tiger, and when retired, will always be a tiger.

3) Mentioned how Daniel Rioli could be the best Rioli of the lot.

4) Smirked and spoke about another Rioli who’s maybe the best of them coming along.

5) was asked many Tom Lynch questions.

6) Spoke about the balance between retaining our current players whilst adding Tom Lynch.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/neil-balme-on-the-mark-interview.1200129/

------------------------------------------

Neil Balme says AFL should ban clubs discussing free agency

July 26, 2018
Sarah Olle
FOX SPORTS

AFL clubs would not be able to comment on free agents until the commencement of the trade period under a model preferred by Richmond footy boss Neil Balme.

The Tigers are one of the front runners to secure out of contract Gold Coast co-captain Tom Lynch, who has all but packed his bags to return home to Victoria.

Collingwood and — to a lesser extent — Hawthorn are also said to be in the race, with Magpies coach Nathan Buckley even publicly stating he’d met with Lynch.

Balme suggested Buckley was entitled to be frank, but that he would prefer if the AFL took the conversation into its own hands and barred clubs from discussing it altogether.

“If you’re a free agent, clubs shouldn’t be able to make comment about it,” Balme said on Fox Footy’s On The Mark.

“The media can say what they like.

“But clubs shouldn’t be allowed to until it’s either their turn to make an offer or not. I would find that more comfortable.”

After enduring a season in which Dustin Martin’s contractual status was one of the major weekly talking points in 2017, Balme said his model — which is favoured by American sports — would remove such a distraction.

“When we had to deal with that with Dusty last year it was just such a pain,” Balme said.

“All you want him to do is play well every week, you want to help him through it. You know it’s affecting him.

“He dealt with it marvellously considering, and we had to deal with it the whole way through.

“I just don’t like it from that point of view. I’d much rather the clubs can’t make any comment about free agency until free agency starts after the season.”

In order to be able to execute trade moves, however, Balme said clubs and players should be allowed to engage in as much discussion as desired.

“It’s a necessary thing,” Balme said.

“How do you know if the bloke wants to come to your club if you don’t go and talk to him?”

Balme was spotted at Melbourne Airport earlier this month with Lynch, but in stark contrast to Buckley said he had “no comment to make” on the meeting.

“I don’t want to talk about it,’ Balme said.

“I don’t think it’s reasonable. He’s still in my view a Gold Coast player. It’s disrespectful for us to be discussing it publicly.

“Nathan is entitled to say what he wants to say. But that’s the problem.

“Honesty is where you should be, but sometimes complete honesty doesn’t suit what’s happening, particularly with all the other commentary that’s around it.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ban-it-tigers-footy-boss-neil-balme-wants-free-agency-talk-off-the-table/news-story/15b625ecd984c154b8169a090db30b9e