Author Topic: "What's he thinking?": Kane Cornes critical of Richmond's Sydney Stack (SEN)  (Read 1681 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
“WHAT’S HE THINKING?”: CORNES CRITICAL OF RICHMOND’S STACK

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
14 Feb 2022

Kane Cornes could not quite believe what he saw when he was sent an Instagram story post on the weekend.

The video was of Richmond’s Sydney Stack performing a backflip off a cliff in Blairgowrie.

Teammate Tom Lynch filmed Stack launching himself off the Jumping Rock which is about a seven-metre height.

WATCH HERE: https://twitter.com/kanecornes/status/1492963676512747520

Cornes has been critical of Stack in the past, and wondered why he would perform such a risky trick only a month out from the start of the AFL season.

“I thought that could not be Sydney Stack 33 days out from round one when his career is on a knife’s edge,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“When Charlie Curnow has hardly played since he hurt his knee playing basketball, when Jaidyn Stephenson fractured his hip on a bike, when Ollie Wines ruins the best part of two years with a water-skiing incident and the education these players have in terms of what you should be doing to prepare yourself off the field.

“What is the benefit other than a couple of Instagram likes?”

Cornes’ co-host Sam Edmund was in support of the player: “Would you be shocked to perhaps consider that maybe Sydney Stack has done this 500 times over his life?”

Cornes replied: “He looks like he is an expert at doing backflips off cliffs.

“I wish he was an expert at playing football.

“In 2020 he breached protocols and the club was fined $100,000, last year he was arrested and fined $6000 for breaching quarantine.

“This is a guy who is that talented. It’s going to be a travesty if he doesn’t play for 12 years and 200 games.

“What’s he thinking?”

Cornes didn’t miss Lynch either, with the key forward considered one of the candidates to fill the captaincy vacancy at Punt Road.

“Furthermore to that, what’s Tom Lynch doing filming this?,” he added.

“The next day I pick up the paper and I read a story that Tom Lynch wants to be captain of Richmond. If he wants to be captain of Richmond, he says to Stack, ‘Hey Sydney, back off the cliff, we don’t need you jumping and breaking your neck or breaking a leg’.

“He wants to be the captain, Tom Lynch? He films it and posts it to Instagram.

“This is a guy whose career is on life support and I see him doing backflips from seven or eight metres up into what appears to be shallow water.

“Jumping of a cliff and doing a backflip into shallow water is a risk I wouldn’t be taking if my career was on life support 33 days out from round one.”

Edmund responded: “What’s unthinkable for you and I might not be unthinkable for Sydney Stack who has grown up doing it his entire life.

“Hundreds of people jump off it every day. He’s an adult who makes his own risk assessments.

“I had to laugh, because my first instinct when I did see it was, ‘Wow, that is cool, I can’t believe someone can do that’. Your first instinct was horror.”

Cornes concluded: “Does he take his career seriously, is what I’m asking.

“I’m so shocked by it.

“I’m not for one minute comparing the seriousness of getting arrested and being locked up to jumping off a cliff, but when you weigh up the whole package and that he’s very lucky to get a one-year contract extension at Richmond and he’s very lucky to still be on an AFL list considering what he’s put that club through.”

Stack has played 33 games over three seasons for the Tigers and appeared back to his best across half-back in the latter stages of last season.

The 21-year-old signed a one-year deal in October last year.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/02/13/whats-he-thinking-cornes-critical-of-richmonds-stack/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers bite back after Cornes takes aim at young gun

Fox Sports
February 14th, 2022

A thinly-veiled swipe at Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes has come from Richmond’s social media account after the 300-gamer criticised young gun Sydney Stack for backflipping off a cliff in Blairgowrie ahead of the 2022 season.

With Cornes’ comments circulating, a post on Richmond’s social media account showed images to a pre-season camp earlier in the year, which included players taking dives into the water as well.

Quote from: RichmondFC
Throwback to pre-season camp two weeks ago.

The boys loved all the activities Dimma put together

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1493006672616247299
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2022-sydney-stack-instagram-kane-cornes-angry-with-cliff-jumping-video-richmond-tom-lynch-recording/news-story/3201a5638606d46d45981e2e2a83155f

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
Very Funny, this guy is a clown . They should rename red noses day, clown Cornes day , funny man

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
He clearly has an issue with Stack.So much of this poo going on others telling people how they should run their lives

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
My young child jumped from the same spot last year- its a very safe place to jump and have some bloody fun!!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nankervis was asked if he has any qualms with Sydney Stack performing a backflip off a cliff with the start of the AFL season just a month away.

“No issue at all. We encourage all players to go out and have lives away from footy,” Nankervis said.

“I have no problems seeing ‘Stacky’ do that.”

Source: SEN

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
What's the bet that Nank did the same jump a few minutes before Stacky did?    :clapping
But geez I'm impressed that Cornes can determine the water's depth from that photo!    :wallywink   
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Cornwit

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
I keep saying do not listen to shows that he is on and do not click on his articles. Hopefully he will then have to go away

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Yes we'll what was Syd thinking?

It is so important

I'm not sure but perhaps he was thinking gee whiz it's bloody hot and I need to cool off

Meanwhile I'm thinking who gives a crap
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 12:08:29 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Used to jump off there myself, great fun ...Good on him enjoying his life!
Want say what I think of Cornes, I may get in trouble.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The tough defender [Dylan Grimes] also commented on teammate Sydney Stack, who has come under fire from Kane Cornes for performing a dangerous jump over the weekend.

Stack has faced a myriad of issues over the last two years and would want to ensure he can put his best foot forward in 2022, but Grimes – who runs a winery in his spare time - has no problems with his players trying to escape the footy bubble.

“I’ve really found that (winery) to be one of the best things of my playing career is to have a balanced life outside of it,” he said.

“I personally think it’s great for players to get away from footy completely and pursue some of these recreational things that completely take your mind away from the pressure of the game and the relentless nature of elite sport.

“Personally, I thought that it was great to see that him and Tom Lynch were down there and enjoying themselves.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/02/14/the-captaincy-advice-hardwick-gave-grimes-the-number-one-priority-for-new-co/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
“NON-EVENT”: RICHMOND CEO DEFENDS STACK OVER CLIFF JUMP

By Alex Zaia
SEN
16 Feb 2022

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale has defended Sydney Stack after the Tigers youngster was criticised for doing a backflip off a cliff into a rock pool last weekend.

Kane Cornes slammed Stack for performing such a stunt with the start of the AFL season now just a month away.

“I thought that could not be Sydney Stack 33 days out from round one when his career is on a knife’s edge,” Cornes told SEN Breakfast on Monday.

“What is the benefit other than a couple of Instagram likes?

“What’s he thinking?

“Does he take his career seriously, is what I’m asking. I’m so shocked by it.”

Gale described Stack’s stunt as a “non-event” but did suggest some of the club’s senior players might have discussed the jump with 21-year-old.

“Non-event, really, to be honest,” Gale told SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“We’ve got a saying - ‘We’re proud to be’ - and Sydney’s a unique character and we celebrate that.

“Players are free to live their lives and make their own decisions.

“It comes with limits but from our point of view some of the senior players who picked it up might have had a bit of chat with Sydney.

“But a non-event, largely.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/02/16/non-event-richmond-ceo-defends-stack-over-cliff-jump/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"Pathetic" - Calling out Kane Cornes on SEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK6DGatRoGE

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Get off Stacks back you hack
Lots of people name their swords......