Author Topic: Richmond can win Grand Final, footy greats say (Herald-Sun)  (Read 493 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond can win Grand Final, footy greats say (Herald-Sun)
« on: September 26, 2017, 04:40:51 AM »
Richmond Tigers can win Grand Final, footy greats say

PETER ROLFE,
Herald Sun
26 September 2017

FOOTY stars past and present believe Richmond has what it takes to finish its fairytale season with a premiership.

After missing the finals last year, Richmond looms as the feel-good story of a topsy-turvy season as the Tigers strive for their first flag since 1980. And stars on the red carpet for last night’s Brownlow Medal count said there was no reason 2017 could not be the year of the Tiger.

Hawthorn’s 1986 Brownlow medallist Robert DiPierdomenico was confident of a drought-breaking victory likely to trigger wild celebrations among the Richmond faithful.

“I think the Tigers win on Saturday because — yellow and black — this town is rocking,” he said.

“Even with match-ups and at the MCG, it suits them.”

Geelong captain Joel Selwood has been impressed by the Tigers.

“They’re in it so they’re a chance,” he said. “They’re pretty good.”

While the minor premier Crows will start favourites after smashing Geelong on Friday, dual Brownlow medallist Gary Ablett Jr said Richmond commanded respect.

St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt drew similarities between Richmond’s season and the Western Bulldogs’ first flag since 1954 last year.

“Adelaide have been the best performed team all year but Richmond just have that intangible something about them that has a lot of people pulling for them,” he said.

“We saw it with the Bulldogs last year so it will be a great Grand Final and no matter who wins, it will be an equally brilliant story.”

Hawthorn coach Alistair Clarkson was also on the Richmond bandwagon.

“I’m pretty sentimentally backing the Tigers like most of Melbourne is,” he said.

“One of my best mates in Damian Hardwick is the coach so I just hope that he is rewarded for all his hard work over a long time and that the Tiger faithful can enjoy a victory this weekend.”

Triple premiership star Jonathan Brown said long-­suffering Tigers fans had every reason to be excited about Saturday’s Grand Final.

“There is no doubt at all they can win,’’ he said.

And Francis Bourke, who won five flags in a glittering ­career for the Tigers, said the team’s recent form suggested they had what it took to upset Adelaide on Saturday.

“Why not us?’’ he said.

Richmond fan Mick Molloy told the Herald Sun he was desperate to see the Tigers win, after seeing them lose their last Grand Final in 1982.

“I would like to see one in my lifetime,’’ he said.

With Yarra council holding a special meeting to decide whether to fly the Richmond flag from Town Hall, Molloy encouraged them to go much further if the Tigers win on Saturday.

“They should be deciding whether to paint it yellow and black,’’ he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-tigers-can-win-grand-final-footy-greats-say/news-story/b00c04cc54faed4080382dd3d4e2e9c6