Author Topic: Stay on to enjoy success, Richo / I don't want to be ... The Tiger King: Richo  (Read 584 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
This isn't on the web so I typed it out...

Stay on to enjoy success, Richo
By Jon Ralph
Herald-Sun
FRI 14 NOV 2008, Page 107

MATTHEW Richardson will never captain Richmond, but he has been urged to stay on for the Tigers' next era of success.

Richardson is one of several senior players Tigers coach Terry Wallace has told to continue playing after next season.
He wants them to extend their careers so they can help a flourishing young list.

The Tigers have a unique list profile with five players 30 or older -- Richardson, Troy Simmonds, Nathan Brown, Kane Johnson and Joel Bowden.

No other player is aged over 26.

Richardson and Bowden recently signed one-year terms, although the much-loved spearhead still looks sprightly at 33. Simmonds is in the last year of a five-season deal after crossing from Fremantle in late 2004.

"No one knows where things go in 12 months,'' Wallace said yesterday.

"I have spoken to all our senior boys about not restricting themselves to this being their last year or anything like that.

"They should be playing to enjoy a more successful era, and wanting to be part of that for as long as you can.''

Following Johnson's decision to step down as captain, there has been debate about whether Richardson might fill the void for a year in the same way as Scott Burns at Collingwood after Nathan Buckley retired, but it will not happen.
Richardson withdrew from the leadership group a few years ago, and the captaincy will be passed to a younger player.

"I think he's got legend status around the place anyway,'' Wallace said. "He made the decision two years ago that he would lead by his actions. He thought his time in a major leadership role had passed.''

The senior players last year trialled "remote training'', working away from the club for much of the period before Christmas.

The purpose is two-fold: it forces the junior players to lead from the front in training, and it keeps the veterans injury-free.

Richardson, Simmonds, Brown and Johnson finished in the top-10 in the best-and-fairest and Bowden fought back well after being dropped early in the year.

Richardson, who will turn 34 a week before Round 1 next year, is expected to be one of the rotating panellists alongside Robert Walls and Stephen Quartermain on Channel 10's high-definition footy show on Monday nights.
Essendon's Matthew Lloyd, Geelong's Tom Harley and ex-Western Bulldog Luke Darcy will share the role with him.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
I don't want to be ... The Tiger King: Richo
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 03:01:56 AM »
I don't want to be ... The Tiger King
By Martin Agatyn
The Advocate - NW Tassie
14/11/2008

RICHMOND legend and former Devonport footballer Matthew Richardson does not want to be the Tigers' next captain.

The Tigers best and fairest, who was recruited from Devonport in 1993, has been touted as a possible replacement for Richmond captain Kane Johnson, who stepped down from the role earlier this week.

No doubt one of the Tigers' most respected players, the appointment of Richo as skipper would be immensely popular with supporters but the 33-year- old veteran has refuted any suggestion he could lead the yellow and black in 2009.

"I'll squash that on the head straight away," the big man said when contacted yesterday.

"I'm not the right person for the captain's job," he said.

"It's time for a young captain - we've got a young group and they need a significant contribution of a captain who can move forward with them as a group."

Richardson said the likes of Nathan Foley, Chris Newman or Brett Deledio would make an ideal captain.

"But it's not up to me"' he said.

At 33 years of age, Richardson is easily the Tigers' longest serving current player, amassing 276 games in an impressive career to date, which included almost winning the Brownlow Medal this year.

At best he could be expected to play for another one or two seasons and has signed up only for next year, at this stage.

If Richardson was able to go through the season without injury and play every game and the Tigers made the finals, he would be a mathematical chance to play his 300th premiership game.

"The 300 game is not a motivation for me to go on next year, but the chance to play finals is," he said.

"The only reason you play football is to play finals and we just missed out this year."

"Plus we all know how hard it is these days to play every game of the season, so while the 300 would be nice, it's not what's driving me."

Richardson said this season was one of his best since going to the Tigers, which had been another motivating factor in his decision not to retire just yet.

"It was definitely in my top two or three years since I've been here," he said.

Richardson said he was also pleasantly surprised by his strong showing in the Brownlow Medal.

"I honestly didn't expect to go that well," he said.

http://nwtasmania.yourguide.com.au/news/local/sport/afl/i-dont-want-to-be-the-tiger-king/1360150.aspx

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: I don't want to be ... The Tiger King: Richo
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 09:44:51 AM »
"I'll squash that on the head straight away," the big man said when contacted yesterday.

"I'm not the right person for the captain's job," he said.

"It's time for a young captain - we've got a young group and they need a significant contribution of a captain who can move forward with them as a group."

Richardson said the likes of Nathan Foley, Chris Newman or Brett Deledio would make an ideal captain.

"But it's not up to me"' he said.

This guy is such a humble legend it is amazing.

Walls: pull your head in and move him up that list of yours