Author Topic: The clubs "disciplinary" stance on Connors & Cousins - Discuss.  (Read 2963 times)

Ox

I would like to hear this forums individual views on this.
Firstly i see the move as a failure by the current leadership group and Administration.

It's common knowledge to those with first hand info that Brett Deledio displayed an exuberant amount of self-amorousness upon Bens arrival at the club,in fear of his supposed number one ranking as RFC Superstar. :wallywink

With this type of childish mentality existing and in view of the current suspension(s) one has to ask,"WTF is this club REALLY all about.

Brendan Gale -
While his intelligence goes far beyond that of the average footballer his tactics seem a complete backflip from last weeks defensive statement regarding Cousins.

How can you,one week be praising an individuals efforts and defending them from journalistic allegations and innuendo to the next, passing an unfair judgement on them that virtually makes them a dead man walking?

Weak,Directionless leadership and management.

Ponder the fact Cuz is easily our most experienced player.
Ponder the fact he has gone on record as stating his part in the drama was no more than that of what is expected of such a player with his overall mileage.
Ponder the fact he is drug tested three times a week,which obviously isn't good enough in the view of some......

Next move by the football world - Make Ben an alcoholic.

You're all filthy hypocrites that drink to get drunk,smoke to get high or snort to get horny,so maybe you're pointing the finger at the part of you that you hate.

Connors suspension,while possibly deserved is,as Jake has stated,ludicrous as he has been banned from training with the club for the first six weeks.
What a limp Decision.
Why not just throw the guy into rehab then?FFS!!!!

I understand this club is trying to appear as though it's a new era burt it looks to be simply another era of poo.

This is another failure on behalf of the club and with Gale,Free,Cambo etc on board it's gonna be no surprise when Hardwick gets driven out of the club and the 90s brigade of mercinary,conditioned losers take over in one final act of mutiny.

When this happens...say goodbye to our club for the last time.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:41:32 PM by one-eyed »

TigerTimeII

Re: The clubs "disciplinary" stance on Connors & Cousins - Discuss.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:47:16 PM »
omg , whats going on here ox

i cant agree with u more, lately we have been thinking the same. i must be gettng sick or maybe u r lol

all thi sbs that has happened is the rfc succombing to media pressure to appear tough and be lik eall others and punish

its all bs

if the club new he had a drinking problem why didnt they act first, the club is at fault not ben not luke not dean , connors is just a scapegoat, the rfc failed guys like marty mcgrath, casrl peterson etc cos they could deal with thier issues, and now its happened all over again

i just hope that somehow after this somehow the club /teams comes out firing just as geelong did a few yrs ago after their crisis meeting then came out and thumped us by 157 points

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 05:03:41 PM »
Hmmmm - My take.

Media storm in a teacup aside, Cuz is gunna be hounded come hell or high water and it was him splattered all over the front of the paper right or WRONG.
If we are starting from scratch and Dimma has set his rules, agree with it or not I have to say it is the right move! Without knowing the full facts there has to be a scapegoat, to get it into the players heads no-one is exempt from the path we have put ourselves on.
In the scheme of things Melbourne this weekend doesn't matter and having one of our best backmen out sends another clear message to the group.

Connors - I wouldn't of banished him for the first 6 weeks of his suspension. I would tell him how it is and get him on the track and make an example of him. Tell him he has had his last chance and he has to show a complete turn around, first to training, last to leave. Let him know exactly how he has to play if/when he gets back and leave him under no illusion as to what is expected.

Just let me re-iterate that I am all for the boys getting together for a drink, think it would be of more value to the team to have the boys getting together and bonding, seeing they are all relatively new to each other. But one bad egg has bought it all to a head and it is time to lay low on the radar while we get this rebuild underway.

An example had to be set .........

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 05:09:22 PM »
Isn't this the sort of thing Leading Teams were paid gazillions to sort out?

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 05:11:42 PM »

Weak,Directionless leadership and management.

Disagree entirely. Quite the opposite actually.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 05:11:48 PM »
get off the gas ox, or perhaps get on it :o, the club has handled the issue admirably. The facts are that all clubs are subjected to incidents such as this from the reigning premieres to the cellar dwellars no-one is immune which means it comes down to how it is handled. The club could not have possibly made a BIGGER statement.

The only thing I was dissapointed on was Ross Monaghan failed in his capacity of football manager to ensure that the touring party were tucked in bed at a reasonable time. If anyone needed to be dishing out haymakers it was he not cuz, luke or polo...but that's another story
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 05:20:23 PM »
I agree with the action taken, these boys need to learn, theres a time and a place, if they want to write themselves off, do it at home, where there wont be any media, (unless it Cuz's house, where theres one media scumbag behind every tree). I personally dont care if they drink, but when it goes public like this, its damn embarrassing for the club and for us supporters. And I hope stupidhead connors realises what he's done to Cousins, friggin bloody idiot! :banghead

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 05:20:30 PM »
Media aside.

Lets just everyone forget the media absolutly put it behind us. Don't fall into the trap of wanting to do the exact opposite of what the media want to simply - win the battle.

My take:

- We are a professional football club. In an extremely professional league with incredibly high standards.
- We have a young list with young men not only developing as players but as human beings.

It is the clubs duty to make sure that the direction of the football club is crystal clear to our investments (players). A simple united front going forward with quality and professionalism.

Having a beer at 3am on a Saturday Night before a recovery session is just not acceptable. Albeit in relative private quarters.

Connors has had history with alchohol and copped 8 weeks. Sure you can argue he's a bit of a scape goat and a result of teh club wanting to make him an example. But Steve Johnson copped 7 weeks for continued drinking issues.

The trio that weRE caught up the drama of Connors antics copped a week. Government/Media and Society are doing everything it can to show that being drunk, or drunk to the point were your physical or violent is just completly unacceptable, and rightly so. It is also been shown that mates, partners, family whoever can help stop situations of invulnerability - which is exactly what Connors got himself into. The "Champion Move" campaign springs to mind and there are more examples of always travelling home with a mate if they're drunk etc. For anything out of safety.

The trio were repremaned for letting a mate with a known problem with alchohol get to a state where he had the potential to be invulnerable. Its not there fault he was drunk but the failed the basic skill to look after a mate and pull him into line. They may have tried and failed but you live and die as a team. This needs to be learnt and displayed off field before they we can learn to see it on field.

Surely everyone has been in a situation where they've had to cut a mate off. Surely common sense if your in the public eye you do it every time and quicker than the average person.

I for one have no sympathy. Well done RFC.  :clapping
Go Tigers!

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 05:22:01 PM »
The only thing I was dissapointed on was Ross Monaghan failed in his capacity of football manager to ensure that the touring party were tucked in bed at a reasonable time.

It's a problem with many today that they are always looking to blame someone else.
Individuals are responsible for their own behaviour.
Can't have a squad of nannies for a bunch of grown men however rules and culture can set standards that have to be met.
Sydney's no idiots policy has seen them successful for a long time. Culture.

AFL players are professional sportsmen, they are not a mere reflection the rest of society no matter how some try to dress it up.
It's their job to firstly look after their health so they can be in peak condition. Secondly they are privileged to represent the RFC.
They earn a heck of a lot of money in the process.
This was on an interstate trip in the middle of the season. It was not an end of year function.
A far better player in Brendan Fevola got sacked for similar antics & Connors can count himself lucky.

If you want to write yourself off every week then go do it in the bush leagues and no one will care less. :wallywink

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 05:26:51 PM »
The only thing I was dissapointed on was Ross Monaghan failed in his capacity of football manager to ensure that the touring party were tucked in bed at a reasonable time.

It's a problem with many today that they are always looking to blame someone else.
Individuals are responsible for their own behaviour.
Can't have a squad of nannies for a bunch of grown men however rules and culture can set standards that have to be met.
Sydney's no idiots policy has seen them successful for a long time. Culture.

AFL players are professional sportsmen, they are not a mere reflection the rest of society no matter how some try to dress it up.
It's their job to firstly look after their health so they can be in peak condition. Secondly they are privileged to represent the RFC.
They earn a heck of a lot of money in the process.
This was on an interstate trip in the middle of the season. It was not an end of year function.
A far better player in Brendan Fevola got sacked for similar antics & Connors can count himself lucky.

If you want to write yourself off every week then go do it in the bush leagues and no one will care less. :wallywink

well said Mr Magic! :clapping

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 05:29:50 PM »
It's all part of our generation long tanking program, guaranteed to get us some top draft picks.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 05:41:45 PM »
Clubs are obsessed with image these days. Good image means more $$$$.

The media perspective is one of satisfaction and joy. But then how would a pack of wolves feel if the fence around some sheep fell.

At the end, right or wrong, the club has suspended 3 blokes for not supporting their teammate and these 3 have been left to fend for themselves and have received very little support. The club has told Connors to bugger off for 6 weeks - again no support. I think there is a bit of hypocrisy there.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 05:44:35 PM »
image , who cares about image

Ox

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 06:39:10 PM »

- We are a professional football club. In an extremely professional league with incredibly high standards.
- We have a young list with young men not only developing as players but as human beings.

Agree.
Ever seen the film,Scent of a Woman?

Having a beer at 3am on a Saturday Night before a recovery session is just not acceptable. Albeit in relative private quarters..

Disagree.
What is this - Orwells 1984?
FFS.

What if u can't get to sleep because you feel so poo about the stae of teh club along with your own personal career.
Do u suggest taking a sleeping tablet or maybe lying in bed like a convalescent vegetable
just to appease societies impression of how their particular teams players act,even within the boundaries of their own privacy?

You're living in a fantasy world my friend if that's what you expect competitive spirits to lay down and do

Connors has had history with alchohol and copped 8 weeks. Sure you can argue he's a bit of a scape goat and a result of teh club wanting to make him an example. But Steve Johnson copped 7 weeks for continued drinking issues.

Where's the sense in banning him from training for 6 weeks?
Matthew Stokes was moving Lois Lane and is back training nxt week.
Unless Connors committed a crime that rivals this,the club and it's decision look very LIMP!

The trio that weRE caught up the drama of Connors antics copped a week. Government/Media and Society are doing everything it can to show that being drunk, or drunk to the point were your physical or violent is just completly unacceptable, and rightly so. It is also been shown that mates, partners, family whoever can help stop situations of invulnerability - which is exactly what Connors got himself into. The "Champion Move" campaign springs to mind and there are more examples of always travelling home with a mate if they're drunk etc. For anything out of safety.

You're an idealist.
What's the view like from up there ?
I thought the 3 of them WERE travelling home with him ?

The trio were repremaned for letting a mate with a known problem with alchohol get to a state where he had the potential to be invulnerable. Its not there fault he was drunk but the failed the basic skill to look after a mate and pull him into line. They may have tried and failed but you live and die as a team.

They were crucified as Individuals,if you want to use God speak......

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:42:21 PM by one-eyed »

Ox

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 06:42:30 PM »

This would apply only to Connors...rite?