Author Topic: The Ratten Precedent  (Read 1585 times)

Ruanaidh

The Ratten Precedent
« on: August 30, 2012, 06:43:52 PM »
Let me say from the start that I would want nothing more than for us to sail into the top 4 next year and be competitive in the Finals....but having said that....there is an experienced, quality ex-senior Coach in the wings in the form of Paul Roos. If he signalled a willingness to return to Coaching in 2014 and we miss the eight next year should we follow Carlton's lead and snap him up?

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: The Ratten Precedent
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 06:54:41 PM »
Surely with the list we have we are capable of playing finals
This year we could of played finals if they were more composed or mentally tough enough to finish off games
That will come with maturity and hopefully we pick up some good players in off season who also have leadership qualities ie: Ivan and to a different degree but certainly no lesser Morris.

Barring injuries, I would expect us to "close the gap" on teams like Geelong, Carlton, Collingwood

To answer your question? if we dont make finals barring serious injury then big questions will be asked.
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Ruanaidh

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 07:04:52 PM »
Surely with the list we have we are capable of playing finals
This year we could of played finals if they were more composed or mentally tough enough to finish off games
That will come with maturity and hopefully we pick up some good players in off season who also have leadership qualities ie: Ivan and to a different degree but certainly no lesser Morris.

Barring injuries, I would expect us to "close the gap" on teams like Geelong, Carlton, Collingwood

To answer your question? if we dont make finals barring serious injury then big questions will be asked.
I think that the current scenario whereby Dimma comes out of contract at the end of this year puts us in a good strategic position. For once we wont be be forced by anyone to accept second best. If Dimma lifts us good on him,  if he doesn't and we go after Roos the RFC would be the only viable alternative for him at that time.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 07:20:47 PM »
Dimma has 2 years to run in his contract.

Finals is a must next year and 2014 we need to see some top 4 action.

We'll be fine.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 07:34:25 PM »

Finals is a must next year and 2014 we need to see some top 4 action.

We'll be fine.

Like ratten, he will have one year at the end of 2013.
Would have to be a Dean Bailey type year for us to shut up shop early
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 07:42:03 PM »
Dimma with 2 years left on contract.

If we miss finals in 2013 with a similar year next year? Would you give Dimma one more year?
Go Tigers!

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 08:01:54 PM »

If we miss finals in 2013 with a similar year next year? Would you give Dimma one more year?

SACK Hardwick  :)

Problem is, if we miss out in 2013 there is no one out there.

Don't think Paul Roos would be interested.

Our biggest mistake was signing Hardwick before the season started.

If Hardwick wasn't signed up, we would be playing finals this year and we all would be asking for his signature!

Ruanaidh

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 08:34:11 PM »

Is more like the Ratten scenario than I first thought ;)

dwaino

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 08:58:57 PM »
Was thinking about this too today. Ratten and Carlton set a goal, and while injuries was a reason they were not accepting it as an excuse. Finals in 2013 or curtains regardless of having a year left or not. I honestly believe we're on the right path and don't think there is anything to worry about.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 09:01:40 PM »
forget about Roos, it wont happen. The bloke looks very comfortable in his role and cant see him moving south

GWS a more likely suitor for him.

big year next year but what a lot of people forget is while we get better so do others.

Final 8 is going to be just as hard next year, especially if one of our key mids, Jack or Ivan go down.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 09:41:41 PM »

SACK Hardwick  :)

Problem is, if we miss out in 2013 there is no one out there.

Don't think Paul Roos would be interested.

Our biggest mistake was signing Hardwick before the season started.

If Hardwick wasn't signed up, we would be playing finals this year and we all would be asking for his signature!

So how is it Hardwick's fault he was resigned at the start of the year.

You say if we wasn't signed this year we would have made finals.

He still had this year to run.

Torch I think the battery has run out mate and the light in the "torch" has gone dim.

I think you are besotted with the Malthouse and Roos complex. Snap out of it. :lol :rollin :lol

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 06:45:23 AM »
Carlton put enormous expectations on its players for this year. Carlton was expected to be in the 8 this year. It didn't make the 8 so Ratten has paid the price. I agree it will be just as tough next year to get in the 8. You have to ask which of the teams in 8 this year will drop out next year. We need to improve our depth and not only learn to eliminate lapses in games but also to bury the opposition(have better efficiency in converting our chances) to be able to grab a spot in the 8

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 08:37:58 AM »
So the sacking of a coach for his team failing to perform is now known as "The Ratten Precedent"????????????????

Please

Only been happening for 100+ yrs

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 09:08:20 AM »
Carlton put enormous expectations on its players for this year. Carlton was expected to be in the 8 this year. It didn't make the 8 so Ratten has paid the price. I agree it will be just as tough next year to get in the 8. You have to ask which of the teams in 8 this year will drop out next year. We need to improve our depth and not only learn to eliminate lapses in games but also to bury the opposition(have better efficiency in converting our chances) to be able to grab a spot in the 8

100% correct

Will be very hard making the 8 next year

Need quality and spuds like Jackson need to be offloaded

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

gerkin greg

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 11:20:17 AM »
might as well sack dimma now