Author Topic: Uh oh, Dylan, here we go again.....  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Uh oh, Dylan, here we go again.....
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »
He is a quick, strong and agile unit who has great disposal.

Just checking....It is David Astbury we're talking about here isn't it ?  The slow , easily outbodied , glacier like moving , poor marking , averaged skilled bloke that wears number 12 for Richmond  ?
Let's hope Grimes can get on the park this year.

No no we're talking about two different blokes - I'm talking about the Astbury who has been one of the best preformed talls on the track this preseason, who has high endurance, is a strong mark, good footskills and is gaining size to out wrestle his opponent. You know the guy who wear Richo's old number.  :laugh:

Astbury is an ever improving player and like Rance did just needs composure. I think you will find as he matures he will become a very capable defender but I do agree with you on your last point - 'Let's hope Grimes can get on the park this year' because he already has that composure.

:thumbsup

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2014, 04:08:07 PM »
Arseberry good foot skills . Pfft , never seen him hit a target
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

the claw

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »
i am afraid astbury may not be in grimes 'class'
grimes is solid in the air but we arent getting a great deal of anything else from him in recent times.
astbury at 195cm 97kg 23yrs old and in yr 5  has to be capable of holding down a key defensive position. what other role is there for him in defense. play him there and he either makes it or he fails and we cut him at the end of the yr. he certainly needs to improve a fair bit for this to happen. my main issue with astbury is his pace.
it may be a little wishful with what has gone before , the thing is if he makes it it frees up rance to play dylan grimes  third tall role, a role that hes more suited to. with the way forward lines have gone i really would like to see us with two big kpds  and a couple of running third tall types who can defend if need be.

Darrou will be a better player anyway

He'll be delisted without playing seniors

I dont often agree with you but I dont see him having a big future in the game at this point.

Rookies never make it. Better off recruting state league players like clawski has been harping on about for decades
while im all for taking a good percentage of mature rookies i also think we need to take some juniors as well.
i reckon a prerequisite for a junior on the rookie list is a ruckman if not two.
one only needs to look at the volume of decent  good ruckmen who have come thru the rookie system as juniors.

imo the first 3 rnds in the  nd, trades and free agency is mainly about finding decent players or your better players  and building depth.

the percentage of rookies that dont make it is high thus i belive we should have a balance between mature and junior rookie spots. you will probably get  a good foot soldier with mature recruits but even with rookie juniors with the unknown element  there is every chance you may get something more. of course the risk is you will get nothing with a large percentage.

logically  theres a greater chance you will get something out of the mature players now,  but there are plenty of circumstances where you need to back in your ability to develop juniors.

an awfull lot of clubs have done and continue to rookie junior ruckmen and reap the rewards down the track. to me its about balance.

i also think kids who have plenty of good attributes but may for example be undersized and will need some time should be taken late nd or rookie draft. eli templeton comes to mind  straight away. there was a lot to like about him and for most pundits was a shock non nd pick.
or maybe a very gifted athlete whos athleticism just should not be overlooked like jon marsh.  he went with pick 75ish in the nd a virtual rookie pick.

to me its about getting the most you can out of all areas while looking after now and the future. playing percentages minimising risk but not forgo possibilities because there is risk. balance.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 04:46:17 PM »
No no we're talking about two different blokes - I'm talking about the Astbury who has been one of the best preformed talls on the track this preseason, who has high endurance, is a strong mark, good footskills and is gaining size to out wrestle his opponent.

Aaaah you mean that Astbury. Nah I haven't seen him. Must be a hell of a lot better in all areas than the one who's been on our list for the past few years.
Two Astburys ! One's a stud and the other's a dud.
My apologies. You can understand my confusion I'm sure  ;D
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2014, 06:32:25 PM »
I thought Astbury and Grimes were the same guy until I read this.

Oh, and rookies NEVER make it.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2014, 07:00:11 PM »
Arseberry good foot skills . Pfft , never seen him hit a target

Draft camp test test testing

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2014, 07:41:11 PM »
Great footskills under the heavy pressure applied by those witches hats placed on the gymnasium floor at draft camp.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 08:25:31 PM »
He is a quick, strong and agile unit who has great disposal.

Just checking....It is David Astbury we're talking about here isn't it ?  The slow , easily outbodied , glacier like moving , poor marking , averaged skilled bloke that wears number 12 for Richmond  ?
Let's hope Grimes can get on the park this year.

No no we're talking about two different blokes - I'm talking about the Astbury who has been one of the best preformed talls on the track this preseason, who has high endurance, is a strong mark, good footskills and is gaining size to out wrestle his opponent. You know the guy who wear Richo's old number.  :laugh:

Astbury is an ever improving player and like Rance did just needs composure. I think you will find as he matures he will become a very capable defender but I do agree with you on your last point - 'Let's hope Grimes can get on the park this year' because he already has that composure.

:thumbsup

I've never heard nor seen this version of Astbury.
I'm not saying he might appear but there has been no reason to think that this might happen unless he's been re-built like Steve Austin.
I haven't seen his pre season training but there haven't been many glowing comments from posters or other players.
Until now.......
Slow, poor decision maker, poor foot skills.
I reckon his best year was his first as a forward.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 08:35:26 PM »
Was very good in his last 5 or so games last year
Before seeing him in those last five games  I thought he wasn't going to make it, now I think there is a chance
Reports from Training is that Jack and Astbury are pushing each other and in very good nick

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2014, 12:21:39 AM »
Astbury owned Gunston which is something no Freo defender can claim :nope.

Sad for Grimesy. He can't take a trick with his hammies  :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

gerkin greg

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2014, 11:05:15 AM »
should try some leg weights

should try weights.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 11:18:57 AM »
Astbury owned Gunston which is something no Freo defender can claim :nope.

Sad for Grimesy. He can't take a trick with his hammies  :-\.
We owned Hawthorn which is something Freo cannot claim either  :rollin

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2014, 12:51:51 PM »
should try some leg weights

should try weights.
Great suggestion gerks.  I'm sure nobody has thought of that!

Should email the fitness department immediately with your suggestion!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2014, 01:48:50 PM »
I have a special delivery for a Mr D. Grimes??

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2014, 01:51:03 PM »
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH