Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 761563 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #3615 on: July 01, 2016, 04:33:30 PM »

Political naivety on Dan's behalf.

All he did was accept the umpire's (Fair Work Australia) decision.

But yes he may have cost Labor the election.

Accepted the umpires decision  :huh

Please he did a deal first and yes he has cost the ALP any chance of winning this election

WADR   rubbish

Not rubbish

He had meetigns with the union over this pay deal before it went Fairwork

All he did was after he and the union reached an agreement and  presented it to Fairwork he accepted Fairworks recommended changes.

On this issue  the Vic premier has stuffed up, he can sugar coat it anyway he likes but he did a deal with the union to get this settled
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #3616 on: July 01, 2016, 06:11:57 PM »

Please he did a deal first and yes he has cost the ALP any chance of winning this election

WADR   rubbish

Not rubbish

All he did was after he and the union reached an agreement and  presented it to Fairwork he accepted Fairworks recommended changes.

On this issue  the Vic premier has stuffed up, he can sugar coat it anyway he likes but he did a deal with the union to get this settled

Words

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #3617 on: July 01, 2016, 07:03:17 PM »

WADR   rubbish

Not rubbish

Words

Find it hard to believe that a senior experienced politician, the very definition of premeditation and calculation would innocently stumble in and out of this sort of situation blind......then again....these arent brain surgeons
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3618 on: July 02, 2016, 03:58:07 AM »
The CFA issue comes back to the old MFB/CFA zones now being completely out of date. IIRC, the zones were set up in the 1960s with the MFB covering a 20km radius 'limit' from the CBD and the CFA covering the rest. The idea was the MFB covers the main metro/surburban areas and the CFA covers the outer sparse fringe suburbs, regional towns and the rest of country Victoria.

Each fire brigade was set up to reflect the needs of these two separate regions. The MFB was made up of on-call career firefighters at its manned fire stations to deal with urgent urban fires (eg: houses, shops, industry complexes, etc), while the CFA was mostly made-up of volunteers made up of local residents of their communities who would respond to their local stations when needed (eg: bushfires). If further firefighters were needed by one volunteer brigade then they would call on other volunteer and manned (career firefighters) stations further away to come and help. It's how the CFA builds up what they call a "surge capacity" to fight bushfires. The CFA is volunteer brigade(s) respond first and others support them; The MFB is the opposite - career firefighters respond first.

However, times have changed. Melbourne's urban sprawl has smashed through this old 20km boundary 'limit' yet the old MFB/CFA boundaries have never been changed to keep up (typical :facepalm). In the south-east suburbs, the boundary is around Clayton which is now closer to the demographic centre of Melbourne and miles from any urban fringe. We now have large sways of high density suburbia such as Springvale, Dandenong, Frankston, Cranbourne still covered by the CFA.

In an attempt to adapt, the CFA incorporated into its ranks mixed stations of both career and volunteer firefighters called "integrated" stations. Out of the CFA's 1200 stations there's 34 of these integrated stations, mostly located in urban area. It's 31 of these 34 integrated stations which are affected by the EBA. As the urban areas spread, the CFA converts existing volunteer stations into these integrated stations (eg: Hoppers Crossing was converted to one in 1986). It's around this 'conversion' that the barny started as the EBA supports the need for more integrated stations, more career firefighters and hence more conversions.

So you'll find volunteers at these existing integrated stations are publicly in favour of the EBA (more career firefighters helps them do there job in urban areas), whereas the opposition is coming more from purely volunteer stations concerned with being taken over by careeries. The politics of rural volunteers having anti-union LNP supporting members and integrated/careeries/unionists having mostly urban ALP supporters,  only further makes a mess of the issue. The Liberal party even set up a website "Hands off the CFA" to rake in donations for themselves while the Herald-Sun reporter on this, James Campbell, is an ex-Liberal party staffer. There's a reason the dispute has been divisive and has lasted 1000 days and counting - i.e. Politics!

Even if this EBA was rejected/blocked, the CFA will have to change to support even more integrated stations and more career firefighters if it wants to oversee urban areas. Time is everything in fighting and extinguishing fires and the response times of career firefighter manned stations  are much faster than that of volunteers in higher density urban areas. It's not 1960 anymore.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3619 on: July 02, 2016, 04:09:43 AM »
My election tip:

House of Reps:
LNP    84 (-6)
ALP    59 (+4)
Other   7 (+2)

According to the polls, it seems the swing to Labor won't be in too many marginal seats. Similar to the 1998 election.

Senate:
A different bunch of loonies, NXT and Greens on the cross bench.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #3620 on: July 02, 2016, 08:06:48 AM »
My election tip:

House of Reps:
LNP    84 (-6)
ALP    59 (+4)
Other   7 (+2)

According to the polls, it seems the swing to Labor won't be in too many marginal seats. Similar to the 1998 election.

Senate:

That would be a massive win to the Coalition. Cant see it happening  to that extent but who knows
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3621 on: July 02, 2016, 02:50:32 PM »
Once the results are, there will be one group of blind followers who think the world will end and one lot of blind followers who will think the good times will flow.

The truth, regardless of the result, is we will get more of the same - politicians treating us with contempt, lying and deflecting to suit their needs, putting more effort into toeing the party line rather than representing their constituents, playing the blame game,   and spending more time slagging off the other party in an attempt to hold onto/gain power rather actually governing the country.

Oh, they will of course come together when their duopoly if threatened, and together they have no qualms about abusing the democratic process to achieve this.

It makes me sick to core hearing Turnbull pleading for voters not to vote for independents.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #3622 on: July 02, 2016, 03:35:33 PM »
If Labor wins we get Shorten as PM for 3 years.

Coalition win an we get Turnbull as PM with Abbott lurking in the background.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #3623 on: July 02, 2016, 04:07:18 PM »
Voted ALP for house of reps and greens for the senate.

I actually would rather a hung parliament than the Libs having a winning majority. Might have to learn to work with each other and represent all Australians

Let the cards fall where they may
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3624 on: July 03, 2016, 05:48:10 AM »
My election tip:

House of Reps:
LNP    84 (-6)
ALP    59 (+4)
Other   7 (+2)

Senate:

That would be a massive win to the Coalition. Cant see it happening  to that extent but who knows
I didn't expect such a strong showing in NSW by Labor. I thought they'd only pick up a couple of seats there at best.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3625 on: July 03, 2016, 06:28:57 AM »
Current tally according to the AEC:

House of Reps:

A 3.2% swing to Labor nationally. The 2PP is 50:50.

ALP leading in 69 seats
LNP leading in 64
Bandt, Katter, Xenophon and 2 independents make up 5 on the crossbench.
That leaves 12 undecided.

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseDefault-20499.htm

Antony Green on the ABC coverage had the LNP with 72, ALP 66, 5 others and 7 too close to call.

The ABC website has LNP 67, ALP 67, 5 others and 11 seats undecided.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2016/results/

Senate:

Hard to work out without knowing the preferences given it's a quota system but roughly it will be something like:

LNP 28, ALP 27, Greens 9, Xenophon 3, One Nation 3, Hinch, Lambie and 4 undecided/others.

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/SenateStateResultsMenu-20499.htm

That would leave us with up to 21 on the crossbench  :o including Pauline Hanson's crew  :help. Good luck getting legislation through that lot.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, cue civil war within the LNP after last night's result. Pre-polling and postals may still save the government's majority in the House of Reps as they usually favour the Libs but the LNP are now in a far far worse position in both houses. Also, a joint-sitting will be a total waste of time, meaning Turnbull called a double dissolution for nothing. Abbott supporting hardline conservatives within the party will now be after Turnbull's head. Andrew Bolt is already calling for Malcolm to go. So here's to another 3 years of infighting and instability within a Federal government ::).

ps. Constitutionally, we can't have a normal election for another 2 years after a DD election. So if everything turns to pot then the only options are a House of Reps election or another DD election.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3626 on: July 03, 2016, 07:26:48 AM »
Who got the text? Lol What a rabble that mob is.

As for ur comments Albert you are wrong. There's a third group who actually dgaf anymore much like our football club.

Both these so called leaders are not capable to run a country effectively. No one can convince me otherwise, and if they do they are completely dilusional themselves.

I'm over in NZ and had my brother vote for me, such has been my interest in this election. A nil all draw is fitting, but what it means is not much change again. Rudd and Abbott showed rightly or wrongly things happen with a majority. These clowns will do circle work for the next 3 yrs.

Good to see Hinch grab a seat in the senate too.  :thumbsup

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #3627 on: July 03, 2016, 07:52:52 AM »
Shorten will stay as leader, Turnbull won't.

But who will the Libs turn to?

Morrison, Julie Bishop?

My hope is that the fixer gets the job.

:lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3628 on: July 03, 2016, 08:04:39 AM »

Morrison, Julie Bishop?

Julie wont run for leader, she's the world's greatest Deputy Leader

If you want to know who the next lib leader will be ask Julie who she wants to be deputy to  :rollin

In all seriousness this result is no surprise

Just shows folks are sick of being treated like mugs by our so called leaders  ;D

Going to love the Senate, Pauline, Jacqui Lambie, and Derryn. .. wont be dull  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #3629 on: July 03, 2016, 09:53:46 AM »

Morrison, Julie Bishop?

Julie wont run for leader, she's the world's greatest Deputy Leader

If you want to know who the next lib leader will be ask Julie who she wants to be deputy to  :rollin

In all seriousness this result is no surprise

Just shows folks are sick of being treated like mugs by our so called leaders  ;D

Going to love the Senate, Pauline, Jacqui Lambie, and Derryn. .. wont be dull  ;D

It's the same as in other western countries like the States and England - people are sick of the politicians and the statusquo. Hence the rise of Trump  :-\ , the strong popularity of Bernie Sanders, and the surprising result of the Brexit.

Here, one term governments are becoming closer to reality and PMs/leaders are dumped like yearly hard waste collection. The latter of these feeds even more discontent with the public.

I'll call it now, the whole political landscape is almost ripe for the rise of a minor party or a Trump style phenomenon. People will lap it up. All they need is access to campaign funding.
"Sliding doors moment.