Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 265521 times)

tony_montana

Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #390 on: March 06, 2013, 05:05:04 PM »
Kids got some poo luck

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #391 on: March 06, 2013, 06:39:08 PM »
Kids got some poo luck

It's not bad luck, the kid is built like quentin. Fair dinkum if he sneezed his sternum would snap
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #392 on: March 06, 2013, 10:39:51 PM »
David Astbury ‏( @dastbury12 ) twitter:

"Shocked by the support I've received today - it's very much appreciated. It's a minor setback compared to my history."

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #393 on: March 07, 2013, 05:55:26 AM »
Hope for a speedy recovery. Hope in line for a recall in first couple of rounds

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #394 on: March 07, 2013, 09:03:08 PM »
I'm sure with his good footy brain he will be back in it quick smart

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #395 on: April 09, 2013, 01:35:46 PM »
Defender David Astbury has also been scheduled to return through the VFL next week after overcoming a pre-season foot complaint.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-04-09/tiger-resilience-grows-mcguane

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #396 on: April 09, 2013, 01:36:47 PM »
Great to see him training. Has he grown?

The boy is still only 22. His flexibility is a good assist for a reserve play. He can cover injury to forwards or defenders.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 05:40:26 PM by Bentleigh-esque »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #397 on: April 10, 2013, 03:45:01 PM »
David Astbury interview on the RFC website:

* Had 4-5 weeks off now. The injury (foot) is tracking well and he says he'll play this weekend against Williamstown. He'll play 70s mins (3 qtrs) this week and from there up it to full-games.

* Did 95% of the preseason and played 2 NAB games. Then the docs found a stress reaction in foot (2nd metatarsal) after the Wangaratta game . 10 week injury that was cut to 4-5 weeks because they found it and got to it early.

* Was well and truly in selection frame before the injury according to Dimma and coaching stuff. So it was frustrating to get injured but now there's still most of the season left to get back into it.

* As he did most of the preseason, Dave said he only needs one week restricted game-time before getting back into it fully.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-04-10/musashi-medical-update-astbury

the claw

« Reply #398 on: April 10, 2013, 09:02:05 PM »
Great to see him training. Has he grown?

The boy is still only 22. His flexibility is a good assist for a reserve play. He can cover injury to forwards or defenders.
hes an ideal size for his height as he was last yr. its not all about the figures though its about maturity and for a better way to say it  developing core strength thru maturity.. kids can have the size but lack in a big way the core strength.

not being a smart arse but i dont look upon him as a reserve player but a developing player who we need to step up and take a spot of the likes of vickery and mcguane. but hey thats not likely to happen as they seem hell bent on playing him  back no matter what.

most of us harp on about the need for a hit up forward / chf.  go and watch this kid as a junior. with the insistence of griffiths playing  back surely we need to find key forwards if for no other reason than when injury hits. but the numbers and quality says we really have to develop more key forwards.
break it down and look at it from purely a list perspective.
tall defenders or those regularly being played and groomed there.
griffiths, darrou, mcintosh, rance, chaplin, grimes, astbury,  not even i can complain about those numbers. simply put theres at the least one too many.

tall forwards or those regularly being developed or played as forwards.
riewoldt, elton.  imo these are the only two who are being played developed purely as forwards. and are natural forwards.
then theres the compromised ones or those with genuine questions about what role they will ultimately play.
vickery. supposed to become our first ruck in time and that looks a pipe dream. atm and i repeat ATM his overhead work and aggresion in a contest is miles away.the question remains is he to be our first ruck or a kpp. if hes to be a kpp we need to have other options just in case.
mcguane, okay credit to him.  in his two games thus far this yr. thing is  a blind man can see the limitations.
derickx im not even sure he should be here but we sure as hell have not developed him as a ruckman. but he aint no forward.
mcbean - he like vickery is supposed to in time become a #1 ruckman instead hes more likely to become a kpp but where ? forward or back.

its a shame when our second best tall forward atm is a very limited mcguane. he at least competes seems we love the few we do have that do this despite a total lack of skills.

the point being made is we have reasonably well established tall defenders in rance grimes chaplin with a few development types in mcintosh and darrou.
we dont have ant decent tall forwards out side of riewoldt and we are only developing for the near future the next yr or two elton. i say agian plain old common sense dictates that we must start developing one of griffiths or astbury as a forward if not both.

when dave astbury is fit enough to play lets develop him as a kpf ffs.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #399 on: April 11, 2013, 11:05:32 AM »
There is limited KPF spots in the senior side.

#1 forward
#2 2nd ruck.
#3 third tall.

Reiwoldt is one is the first name of the team sheet. Vickery and mcgaune with the following waiting in the wings; Griffiths.Elton. McBean. Astbury is a long way back.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #400 on: April 13, 2013, 03:22:43 PM »
Dave just can't take a trick. He just comes back and he's injured again. Hyper-extended his knee early in the last qtr of the Coburg game.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #401 on: April 13, 2013, 03:23:41 PM »
Dave just can't take a trick. He just comes back and he's injured again. Hyper-extended his knee early in the last qtr of the Coburg game.

That's just unreal... :banghead
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #402 on: April 13, 2013, 03:28:40 PM »
Cleary now saying the RFC/CFC docs have told him it's not too bad. So hopefully Dave just jarred it and is okay.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #403 on: April 13, 2013, 04:29:01 PM »
Lets hope so, this kid has a heap of talent for a tall, just needs a decent run at it  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #404 on: April 14, 2013, 02:39:19 AM »
RICHMOND suffered a blow with young defender David Astbury suffering a leg injury in his comeback match with Coburg on Saturday. But Astbury said it was a hyperextension of the leg and he was confident of playing next week.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hogan-shines-in-vfl-but-dees-will-have-to-wait-20130413-2hsk6.html