Author Topic: Rioli signed for 2 years  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rioli signed for 2 years
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 10:04:06 PM »

Don't get the negative comments on Rioli.

Why not? Did you think his game was perfect?

Did i think his game was perfect? Ummmmm no but not a bad game by a second year player.

Think that explains it then. He had some negatives to his game therefore he is open to some negative comments.

FWIW I think there a few who deserve to be dropped before Rioli BUT I just don't think keeping him in the team for who knows what reason is the way to go. Why not rest him a week and/or let him play with the plebs in the VFL and hopefully gain some confidence.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 10:06:38 PM »

Don't get the negative comments on Rioli.

Why not? Did you think his game was perfect?

Did i think his game was perfect? Ummmmm no but not a bad game by a second year player.

Think that explains it then. He had some negatives to his game therefore he is open to some negative comments.

FWIW I think there a few who deserve to be dropped before Rioli BUT I just don't think keeping him in the team for who knows what reason is the way to go. Why not rest him a week and/or let him play with the plebs in the VFL and hopefully gain some confidence.
Who do you think deserves to be dropped before Rioli?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 10:16:07 PM »
Sometimes you stretch yourself and pick a player because you think he'll be a gun eventually. Rioli was never ranked at 15 in the draft but he may turn out to be in the top 10 players in the draft by the time he is 25. He was a late developer and came from nowhere to get picked at 15. If we didn't pick him, Hawthorn were ready to pounce at 18 from what I've been told. Hardwick himself said he wasn't ready to play footy last year but they were crying out for a tackling machine in the forward line as we ranked last for forward pressure the previous year, so he played him. I think he is tracking beautifully for someone his age. He is part of a formula that has us at 5th position on the ladder currently. He is doing the job asked of him by the coach. That's all you can ask for.
Come on Doc, saying he is "tracking beautifully" is a massive stretch. Anyone who knows anything about this game knows he should have been drop 5,6,7 weeks ago.
Old Dermie was pretty critical of him today without actually saying what we all know he meant.
He kicked a decent goal late in the game against the bottom side playing on a kid with less experience than himself. The rest of his game was putrid.

I'd rather the club "manage" him if they are to gutless to say his is omitted but the kid needs some time in the twos. Especially when we have Bolton and Stengle ready and in form to replace him. Even Menadue has more claim on a spot in our side infront of him.
Hardwick told us that he would be rested a few weeks ago but has yet to get a rest. When I said tracking beautifully I was talking about his general progress. He uses up a lot of energy with all his chasing, harassing and tackling. At the game it is more obvious than on TV. His class is obvious. Even games like today, he was involved with three goals, had 13 disposals and 6 marks and yet people are still bagging him. Do I think he's made it as a great player? No. Do I think he will become a very good player? Yes. And I am happy to keep playing him to fast track his development even though I think he needs a week off soon.
You keep quoting stats but all that shows me is you are grasping at straws. But if you decide to use stats to strengthen your argument, at least be accurate. He was crap today like most of the last 9 weeks and if you heard the commentary they tended to agree.
Let keep gifting games to players that don't deserve it over other kids that do, because that creates great culture in a footy club.
What a lot of poo. We are doing what many of us cry out for - play the kids. Yet people bag the club no matter what we do. Do you know the instructions Hardwick gives Rioli and if he does what he is instructed to do? No. Maybe he gets games because he carries out his orders perfectly. Hardwick said as much at the midseason review. I for one love the fact we gift games to Rioli and players of his ilk. It is  for fast tracking their development.  I don't like it when senior players with no upside are gifted games though. Edwards, Grigg and previously Vickery could stink it up and never get dropped. Yet guys like Lennon play one poor game and would be out the door.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 10:26:37 PM »

Who do you think deserves to be dropped before Rioli?

Personally I think Caddy is one, I think he's been very disappointing. Add to that Edwards and Grigg. Yes they may offer more ATM but Edwards and Grigg in particular aren't the way forward

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 10:37:23 PM »
Rioli is stuffing awesome despite obviously being a bit proppy, he still does some special things and will get through whatever is crueling his mellow.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2017, 12:31:08 AM »
Sometimes you stretch yourself and pick a player because you think he'll be a gun eventually. Rioli was never ranked at 15 in the draft but he may turn out to be in the top 10 players in the draft by the time he is 25. He was a late developer and came from nowhere to get picked at 15. If we didn't pick him, Hawthorn were ready to pounce at 18 from what I've been told. Hardwick himself said he wasn't ready to play footy last year but they were crying out for a tackling machine in the forward line as we ranked last for forward pressure the previous year, so he played him. I think he is tracking beautifully for someone his age. He is part of a formula that has us at 5th position on the ladder currently. He is doing the job asked of him by the coach. That's all you can ask for.
Come on Doc, saying he is "tracking beautifully" is a massive stretch. Anyone who knows anything about this game knows he should have been drop 5,6,7 weeks ago.
Old Dermie was pretty critical of him today without actually saying what we all know he meant.
He kicked a decent goal late in the game against the bottom side playing on a kid with less experience than himself. The rest of his game was putrid.

I'd rather the club "manage" him if they are to gutless to say his is omitted but the kid needs some time in the twos. Especially when we have Bolton and Stengle ready and in form to replace him. Even Menadue has more claim on a spot in our side infront of him.
Hardwick told us that he would be rested a few weeks ago but has yet to get a rest. When I said tracking beautifully I was talking about his general progress. He uses up a lot of energy with all his chasing, harassing and tackling. At the game it is more obvious than on TV. His class is obvious. Even games like today, he was involved with three goals, had 13 disposals and 6 marks and yet people are still bagging him. Do I think he's made it as a great player? No. Do I think he will become a very good player? Yes. And I am happy to keep playing him to fast track his development even though I think he needs a week off soon.
You keep quoting stats but all that shows me is you are grasping at straws. But if you decide to use stats to strengthen your argument, at least be accurate. He was crap today like most of the last 9 weeks and if you heard the commentary they tended to agree.
Let keep gifting games to players that don't deserve it over other kids that do, because that creates great culture in a footy club.
What a lot of poo. We are doing what many of us cry out for - play the kids. Yet people bag the club no matter what we do. Do you know the instructions Hardwick gives Rioli and if he does what he is instructed to do? No. Maybe he gets games because he carries out his orders perfectly. Hardwick said as much at the midseason review. I for one love the fact we gift games to Rioli and players of his ilk. It is  for fast tracking their development.  I don't like it when senior players with no upside are gifted games though. Edwards, Grigg and previously Vickery could stink it up and never get dropped. Yet guys like Lennon play one poor game and would be out the door.
If Hardwick is telling him to not get much of the footy, fall over, and generally stink it up, he is doing exactly what he is being told to do.
He is being gifted games imo ahead of other young guys who can be fast tracked too. How Menadue got dropped before Rioli this week after a 2 kick game is beyond comprehension.

Your other argument about Grigg, Edwards and Vickery has nothing to do with anything we are discussing.