Author Topic: Sydney Stack [merged]  (Read 202694 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Sydney Stack [merged]
« Reply #615 on: December 23, 2020, 07:33:06 PM »

AFL star is in MORE hot water as eagle-eyed fans spot a worrying symbol on his index finger in his latest Instagram post - as he prepares to spend Christmas behind bars over alleged Covid breach

Richmond AFL star Sydney Stack pictured wearing ring linked with bikie culture

His manager said the ring was just a fashion choice and not conveying message

By BRETT LACKEY and JACKSON BARRON and ZOE ZACZEK
Daily Mail Australia
23 December 2020

AFL star Sydney Stack has found himself the centre of yet another controversy after fans spotted him wearing a ring usually associated with bikie gangs in an Instagram post.

Stack is already in hot water after footage went viral on Sunday allegedly showing the 20-year-old in a brawl outside a Perth nightclub at the weekend before he was arrested by police over an alleged second Covid breach.

In the recent Instagram post by Stack, who will spend Christmas in a jail cell following the arrest, he can be seen wearing two rings - with the left hand band reading 'one per center'.

A number people commenting on the post pointed out the ring and questioned why he would be wearing the item.

One per center is a term used by members of outlaw motorcycle gangs to describe themselves - a reference to not being law-abiding citizens like the other 99 per cent of society.

Stacks manager, Paul Peos, told The West Australian on Tuesday that the ring was simply a clothing choice and not intended to show support for any group.

'That is Sydney, that is a fashion statement,' Mr Peos said.

The Richmond Tigers player was scheduled to front Perth Magistrates Court on Tuesday but could not appear via videolink because he is being held in quarantine at Hakea Prison.

His hearing is set to be scheduled after his 14-day quarantine is completed, meaning he will spend Christmas alone in a jail cell.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9081513/AFL-star-hot-water-fans-spot-symbol-index-finger-latest-Instagram-post.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #616 on: December 23, 2020, 07:36:37 PM »
AFL recruiting guru warns ‘massive alarm bells’ for jailed Richmond youngster Sydney Stack

December 23, 2020
by DAVID ZITA
FOX SPORTS

AFL recruiting guru Michael Ablett believes Sydney Stack may’ve played his last game for Richmond following his alleged breach of Western Australia’s quarantine laws.

Stack will spend Christmas behind bars after being arrested on Saturday and refused bail, with police alleging the 20-year-old breached the state’s quarantine laws, which were triggered when his flight from Victoria made a stopover in Adelaide.

Ablett, who served as the AFL National Talent Football Manager for six years before becoming WA’s Talent Pathway Manager until recently, helped make Stack a member of the national academy before he was drafted in 2019, but admitted the Tigers now faced a difficult call.

“We selected him out of the under-16 championships into the national academy because we just thought he was an elite talent. His talent was never questioned, but we were aware of the challenges we faced in terms of getting things right off-field,” he told foxfooty.com.au.

“The tough position that Richmond are in is that they know he’s an elite talent probably in their best 26 to 28 players, but it’s bigger than that now.

“Football clubs are a business and we’re in a tough economic climate where sponsors are hard to retain.”

Stack’s alleged quarantine breach could mark the second time this year he has flouted strict rules, with he and teammate Callum Coleman-Jones fined, banned for 10 games and sent home from Queensland’s AFL hub in September after getting into a fight outside a strip club.

Ablett said the biggest question mark around Stack had always been his off-field behaviour and the possibility he had broken strict rules twice “would be ringing massive alarm bells”.

For Ablett, the most pressing concern for Richmond, other than Stack’s welfare, would be the cultural ramifications at the club and any impressionable young teammates.

“The question you have to ask yourself is, ‘Are they going to take anyone else down with them and if so how many?’ That’s the greatest concern - you’ve got the commercial aspect and the other aspect is how much damage are they going to do to other players,” he said.

“I think the club is in a very difficult position. If it was a one-off I think you forgive and try and educate, but when it could be now twice I’d be really concerned and with the type of culture they’ve created I don’t think they’re going to stand for much more.”

Stack, whose manager Paul Peos described as “very distressed and very upset” outside court on Monday, has received support from the AFL’s former head of diversity Jason Mifsud via social media.

Mifsud, who left the AFL for a role in the Victorian state government in 2016, questioned the decision to incarcerate Stack rather than trying to educate and support him, labelling it “unimaginative and unnecessarily punitive”.

Richmond released a brief statement on Sunday afternoon acknowledging it was aware of the allegation against Stack, but refrained from making further comment.

Peos told The Age on Tuesday that “Richmond have been providing considerable behind the scenes support for Syd’s welfare”.

Stack has played 26 games since being taken as a pre-season supplemental signing in 2019.

His matter was adjourned until January 6.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2020-sydney-stack-arrested-broke-quarantine-court-date-richmond-sacked-video-fight-mick-ablett/news-story/b2305cc73ef72eb930bd4a10ca869040

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #617 on: December 23, 2020, 07:37:16 PM »
Gil McLachlan had no update on the separate situations of Tyson Stengle (stood down by Adelaide) and Richmond's Sydney Stack (currently in jail after allegedly breaching WA quarantine restrictions), saying both matters were with the AFL Integrity Department.

Source: AFL website

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #618 on: December 23, 2020, 07:49:41 PM »
RICHMOND URGED TO STAND BY SYDNEY STACK

BY SEN
23 December 2020

Peter Sumich has urged Richmond to stand by Sydney Stack with the young Tiger to spend Christmas behind bars in Perth.

Stack was arrested, charged and refused bail for allegedly breaching Western Australia’s strict self-quarantine protocols last Saturday.

“It’s sad. You don’t like to see any kid in that situation,” Sumich told SEN Drive.

“He’s got to learn from his mistakes, and he’ll have some quiet time behind bars over here for a little while, and hopefully it just clicks for him.

“I really rate the kid – as a person as well. I know he’s had a couple of hiccups.

“Hopefully Richmond can hang onto him and keep giving him a go.”

Sumich, who coached Stack at under 18 level, says the 20-year-old should be given another chance by the Tigers.

It’s the second time Stack has landed himself in hot water this year after he and teammate Callum Coleman-Jones were suspended for 10 games and sent home from the club’s Queensland hub for breaking the AFL's COVID-19 rules.

“I think he can be an outstanding player. He’s got to rectify a few things first,” Sumich said.

“I think the whole football industry understands and sees what the kid can offer – his toughness, he’s got skill to go with it – and I think it would be a huge loss to the AFL system if this kid didn’t continue on.

“That’s why I’m a big advocate and kids get it wrong and let’s be honest, we all make mistakes throughout our careers on and off the field – I did and you sometimes need a second, sometimes third, sometimes fourth chance.

“He’s not killing anyone. He’s not taking drugs. I think we can work with him.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/12/23/richmond-urged-to-stand-by-sydney-stack/

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #619 on: December 24, 2020, 08:48:36 AM »
The kid is a flat out stuffwit.  Needs to grow up alot before we consider letting him back in the joint. 

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #620 on: December 24, 2020, 12:10:37 PM »

Excellent perspective from Sumich and I agree with him 100%. You can’t just write off some stupid youngster after a couple of stupid decisions. He’ll eventually grow up. Let’s face it he hasn’t hurt anyone but himself.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #621 on: December 24, 2020, 01:09:45 PM »
Tigeritus your posts are off the charts obsessive on this issue but is it your right to post this way just as long as you respect other posters right to post their opinions.

I believe that Stack has gone beyond being sacked but Richmond is being supportive as they are concerned for his welfare.

Ill discipline in a club is like a cancer if you tolerate it in this case what happens when other players transgress.

We don't want to become like Collingwood , we are in a premiership window and we don't need Stack to drag us into the media spotlight for all the wrong reasons distracting the other players.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #622 on: December 24, 2020, 01:46:01 PM »

Excellent perspective from Sumich and I agree with him 100%. You can’t just write off some stupid youngster after a couple of stupid decisions. He’ll eventually grow up. Let’s face it he hasn’t hurt anyone but himself.

"Excellent perspective"? From the bloke who kicked him out of his under 18 academy?

:help :huh3 :help

FWIW, I don't think he will be sacked this time.

But surely this has to be his last chance...it should be.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #623 on: December 24, 2020, 02:50:11 PM »
It is an excellent perspective - we don’t know why he was kicked out of the academy but we can be sure it wasn’t for breaching quarantine.

As a community, we need to put our arms around troubled young men as best we can until they make the decision for themselves.

We don’t know how many chances Suma gave Stack before he gave him that tough love.
So, let’s give Stack and Suma the benefit of the doubt for the time being - I maintain that the bigger story is how on earth this young man has ended up in jail for a stupid yet hardly punishable crime with being put behind bars.

This is the type of poo my kids will be asking me about in 20 years .... for all the wrong reasons.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #624 on: December 24, 2020, 06:36:47 PM »
He needs to pull his head in right now. Not soon, not hopefully, not maybe. RIGHT NOW SYDNEY!!!! And learn to appreciate the opportunity you have. It's not a privilege... Get rid of the antics, Instagram, and the show Pony stuff and get on with it.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #625 on: December 26, 2020, 07:04:01 PM »
It is an excellent perspective - we don’t know why he was kicked out of the academy but we can be sure it wasn’t for breaching quarantine.

As a community, we need to put our arms around troubled young men as best we can until they make the decision for themselves.

We don’t know how many chances Suma gave Stack before he gave him that tough love.
So, let’s give Stack and Suma the benefit of the doubt for the time being - I maintain that the bigger story is how on earth this young man has ended up in jail for a stupid yet hardly punishable crime with being put behind bars.

This is the type of poo my kids will be asking me about in 20 years .... for all the wrong reasons.
Excellent post HRT.  :thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #626 on: December 27, 2020, 10:54:05 AM »

Troy Taylor was equally talented as Stack, he didn't kill anyone or do drugs (that I am aware of) but a poor attitude for two seasons eventually lead to his delisting.

There was no hue and cry regarding his delisting.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #627 on: December 27, 2020, 12:49:22 PM »
Did Stack expect the club to buy him a house? :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #628 on: December 27, 2020, 01:08:12 PM »
Everyone whinging and bitching and moaning about Stack being behind bars need to get a grip

The dude has broken the rules in QLD and the law twice in WA. Sit down for a minute and think about the strict rules residents of WA have put up with.

And some moron that thinks he’s above the rules puts that at risk.

Yes he doesn’t have it, but he didn’t know that and he definitely didn’t care about the impact if he did have it. If he did , think about the result for people in the surroundings areas as they go into lockdown. Unable to work etc , because some self entitled little prick decided he couldn’t be bothered to do the right thing.

Whether you think reactions to Covid are over the top is completely irrelevant , there are laws and rules in place. Sydney can’t follow them.

Suffer the consequences.

PS, I managed to survive quarantine only 2 weeks ago. I managed to follow rules and regulations.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #629 on: December 27, 2020, 01:19:45 PM »
Did Stack expect the club to buy him a house? :shh

Expecting some one to buy you a house is not breaking the rules and laws it is just having unrealistic expectations which is why I listed poor attitude as a reason for his delisting.