Author Topic: Sydney Stack [merged]  (Read 202787 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Sydney Stack [merged]
« Reply #750 on: March 26, 2021, 07:41:19 AM »
Mr Percy said that Stack only rated himself “25 per cent” match fit compared to what was required at AFL level.

When asked if he thinks he will be able to return to AFL ranks after serving the remainder of his ban, Stack replied: “Not in my head, I don’t think so.”

“It (my body) is not AFL ready. I have a lot of work to do when I get back.”

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/court-punishes-jailed-afl-player-over-christmas-covid-breach-c-2436310
He is going to have to do a full preseason's worth of training and probably more to get back based on that. Unlikely to be seen until just before finals if he does make it back to playing this year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #751 on: March 26, 2021, 07:59:59 AM »
Mid-season bye.

Thankfully we have VFL games.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #752 on: March 26, 2021, 08:00:57 AM »
Looking less and less likely that AFL is his thing, just hope for the best for the young man

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #753 on: March 26, 2021, 09:16:45 AM »
Looking less and less likely that AFL is his thing, just hope for the best for the young man

Agreed.

Kids needs to stay in Melbourne really. If he doesn't have a crack for the rest of the year, or even before the mid-season draft, I'd cut him loose.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #754 on: March 26, 2021, 10:10:29 AM »

25% Match Fit. Kid doesn’t want it enough.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #755 on: March 26, 2021, 01:14:12 PM »
Stewie dew in 08 GF needs to be a reminder that skinfold tests are overrated

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #756 on: March 26, 2021, 01:27:33 PM »

25% Match Fit. Kid doesn’t want it enough.

Would think the key words are " match fit"

We don't know what sort of program he's been on

We don't what restrictions he faced with his bail conditions

We don't but I've no doubt the club would and did

I've been one of his biggest critics for getting himself into this mess but I will cut him some slack until gets back to the club on Monday and we see for ourselves and hear what the Club says
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #757 on: March 26, 2021, 04:00:20 PM »
Marlion to become Stack's mentor.

Syd will also address the playing group when he returns to Melbourne.

--------------------------------------------------

'He'll tell his story': Stack to front Tigers teammates after COVID breach

Young Tiger will address the playing group after being fined $6000 for breaching WA's quarantine laws last year

By Shayne Hope
AAP/AFL.com.au
26 March 2021

SYDNEY Stack will have to address his Richmond teammates to "tell his story" when he returns to the club next week after being fined for breaching Western Australia's COVID-19 quarantine laws.

Stack appeared in Perth Magistrates Court on Thursday for his sentencing, having already pleaded guilty to one count of failing to comply with a direction.

The 20-year-old was fined $6000 and will return to Melbourne on Sunday.

But he is unlikely to play at AFL level any time soon as he instead focuses on getting his life back in order and rebuilding his fitness base.

Stack spent almost three weeks - including the Christmas period - behind bars after being caught in Northbridge during his compulsory self-isolation period.

It came after he had been granted approval to enter WA on compassionate grounds in December for his grandfather's funeral.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick on Friday said he hopes the incident and penalty can be a "fork in the road" for Stack.

"He's been on a hell of a journey, the young man," Hardwick said.

"We're willing to welcome him back with open arms and get him back on track.

"He's like any young man that makes some mistakes along the way - he's clear to make amends - and we're there to provide that opportunity for him.

"We can't wait to get him back in our program.

"It's going to take a little bit of time to get him back up to speed but the positive for us is he'll make it back to Melbourne and be a Richmond man once again."

Stack will front his teammates to explain his situation, as Hardwick did in January, when he addressed his marriage breakdown and the development of a new relationship with a member of the club's staff.

"He'll tell his story, that's something we always ask our players to do," Hardwick said.

"Everyone does have a story to tell, myself included, at various stages.

"In his own time he'll get up and address the group, he'll tell his situation of what he's been through and, more importantly, what he wants to do going forward.

"That's the big one for us. We can sit there and hang people on their past, but it's more important what he's going to do with his first step inside the door."

Hardwick said Richmond teammate Marlion Pickett will likely act as a mentor for fellow Indigenous player Stack.

Pickett spent time in jail before being given a football lifeline by the Tigers and becoming a premiership player, famously starring on debut in the 2019 Toyota AFL Grand Final.

"It's early days, but I think Marlion would be a great role model for (Stack)," Hardwick said.

"He's been through some significant challenges himself and there's no greater example to look at the guy on his left and make his way in the world."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/569775/-he-ll-tell-his-story-stack-to-front-tigers-teammates-after-covid-breach

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #758 on: March 26, 2021, 06:25:46 PM »
Will get conditioning playing VFL. Will be fit enough after 6 weeks :shh

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #759 on: March 26, 2021, 09:20:29 PM »
Has no further credits.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #760 on: March 27, 2021, 08:11:25 PM »
I cannot see him making it. He does not have the discipline to be a league player which is sad because he has the talent.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #761 on: March 29, 2021, 05:09:39 PM »
From Cotch's article in the HeraldSun the other day:

Cotchin says Sydney Stack has been given the firm message he is running out of chances to transform his life and football career as he prepares to return to Punt Rd.

Richmond is thrilled that Stack will on Sunday fly into Melbourne to prepare for his return to football after being fined $6000 for a Perth COVID breach.

The club will give him all the welfare and counselling support it can after a harrowing three-week period in jail and the loss of close family members last year.

But the Tigers are also prepared to dole out some tough love, having told Stack he must respond with the kind of professionalism that has come in fits and starts in his time at Richmond.

Cotchin has spoken with Stack about his return to the club as he prepares to move in with a host family and improve a fitness base he said was only at 25 per cent of AFL level.

He said Richmond had pledged to stand by Stack and would fulfil that promise.

“That’s been our goal and focus since everything eventuated,” he told the Herald Sun.

“We know Stacky through his journey of living and getting to an AFL club has made some mistakes along the way but our goal for anyone who walks into our footy club is to walk out of the footy club a better person.

“We want to continue to give himself that opportunity to grow and find out about who the real Sydney Stack is and hopefully this last little challenge for him, which has been pretty significant, it’s not a wake-up call but it’s a reminder football can come and go pretty quickly and it’s not just you it’s impacting, it’s impacting a lot of people.

“But we are also willing to help him, and hopefully give him the best opportunity to be the absolute best version of himself.”

Asked if Stack was aware he had to show the professionalism to repay Richmond’s faith, Cotchin said: “Absolutely, and I think he’s got that message very loud and clear.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/trent-cotchin-opens-up-about-hub-life-challenges-new-businesses-and-his-mate-dusty/news-story/498c534f0d1cfbaf7f12569731ff4b7f

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #762 on: March 29, 2021, 05:31:57 PM »
Anyone know whether stacky was at the club today?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #763 on: March 30, 2021, 02:19:14 PM »
Stack was back at Punt Rd this morning. Can't find any photos of him though.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #764 on: March 30, 2021, 07:11:59 PM »
Stack was back at Punt Rd this morning. Can't find any photos of him though.
Syd was at today's announcement of Balta's contract extension.