Author Topic: State of Origin [merged]  (Read 17424 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Should State of Origin be brought back?
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2020, 01:18:03 AM »
I can't post articles on my phone but the Australian says we are going to lead the way and allow all our stars to play in this bushfire relief S.O.O. game.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2020, 05:42:42 PM »
Dont really want any of our players playing here.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2020, 07:38:53 PM »
Dont really want any of our players playing here.

Ditto

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2020, 03:19:04 PM »
Which premiership Tigers will feature in Origin?

Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
February 1, 2020

Richmond is determined to back the Bushfire Relief game by declaring its stars available with as many as six Tigers potentially suiting up against each other.

As the Tigers train on the Gold Coast, Tom Lynch has enjoyed a flawless pre-season that will be a mouthwatering entree to his second season at the Tigers.

He barely trained with the main group before a 63-goal season that included five goals in the preliminary final.

He would be one of the first picked by the Victorian side, with the league handing clubs an eight-player wish list to determine availability for both sides, coaches by Damien Hardwick and John Longmire.

The Victorian and All Star teams can have three players from each team take the field, but clubs will hope the league spread the load.

The Victorian team could have Dustin Martin, Tom Lynch or 2019 All Australians Dylan Grimes and Bachar Houli suiting up, while Jack Riewoldt and Shane Edwards would lead the queue of non-Victorians.

The Tigers haven’t yet made Martin officially available but it is expected he would play unless he was injured in the next month.

Football boss Neil Balme said yesterday clubs were aware of the need to make the concept work despite any reservations about injuries.

“It’s just a matter of availability and how well they are going. We are very supportive of the concept of it, given we are letting our coach be one of the coaches,” he said.

“At first you might not be sure because your first response is, “What if someone gets injured?”.

“But you can do that climbing over the back fence and we also think the bigger picture of giving State of Origin a shot is a good thing.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-could-lead-the-charge-for-bushfire-relief-with-up-to-six-players-likely-chosen/news-story/3d69d9c68aec52526152ecf247fa1c6f

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2020, 03:03:24 PM »
None

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2020, 04:23:03 AM »
Ch 7 news last night said Dusty is a "lock" to play for the Big V.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2020, 06:54:59 PM »
Tom Browne on Ch 7 news tonight said "Tiger sources" are saying Dusty is very keen to play for the Big V given the bushfires and his strong connection to country Victoria (Castlemaine).

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jack Riewoldt keen to play in AFL's bushfire charity match (ESPN)
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2020, 06:57:05 PM »
Jack Riewoldt keen for AFL bushfire game

Jason Phelan
ESPN
7 Feb 2020

Jack Riewoldt is keen to take part in the AFL's bushfire charity match, which should thrill Richmond fans because it means the veteran spearhead is fit and firing after a tough year on the injury front.

The dual premiership star missed 12 games last year with wrist and knee injuries, but the 30-year-old didn't need post-season surgery and is delighted with how his preparation for the 2020 season has progressed.

Riewoldt told reporters on Friday that superstar teammate Dustin Martin has also put his hand up to play for the Victorian side, coached by Damien Hardwick.

https://www.espn.com/afl/story/_/id/28650484/jack-riewoldt-keen-afl-bushfire-game

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2020, 03:53:39 PM »
Predicting the two AFL State of Origin teams

Zero Hanger
11 Feb 2020

VICTORIA

B: Jake Lloyd (Sydney Swans), Daniel Talia (Adelaide), James Sicily (Hawthorn)

HB: Lachie Whitfield (GWS), Mark Blicavs (Geelong), Adam Saad (Essendon)

C: Jack Macrae (Western Bulldogs), Marcus Bontempelli (Western Bulldogs), Scott Pendlebury (c) (Collingwood)

HF: Travis Boak (Port Adelaide), Jeremy Cameron (GWS), Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide)

F: Jack Gunston (Hawthorn), Tom Lynch (Richmond), Jordan De Goey (Collingwood)

Foll: Todd Goldstein (North Melbourne), Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong), Dustin Martin (Richmond)

I/C: Rohan Marshall (St Kilda), Rory Sloane (Adelaide), Clayton Oliver (Melbourne), Dylan Shiel (Essendon), Luke Shuey (West Coast), Robbie Tarrant (North Melbourne)

Emg: Steele Sidebottom (Collingwood), Ben McEvoy (Hawthorn), Sam Walsh (Carlton)

For the backline, Adelaide’s Daniel Talia gets the nod at full back, with the three players per club rule proving unlucky for 2019 All-Australian Tiger Dylan Grimes.

ALL-STARS

B: Dayne Rampe (Sydney Swans), Harris Andrews (Brisbane Lions), Jarrod Harbrow (Gold Coast)

HF: Rory Laird (Adelaide Crows), Steven May (Melbourne Demons), Caleb Daniel (Western Bulldogs)

C: Brad Hill (St Kilda), Nat Fyfe (c) (Fremantle), Tim Kelly (West Coast)

HF: Michael Walters (Fremantle), Jack Riewoldt (Richmond), Stephen Coniglio (GWS)

F: Charlie Cameron (Brisbane Lions), Tom Hawkins (Geelong), Ben Brown (North Melbourne)

Foll: Brodie Grundy (Collingwood), Lachie Neale (Brisbane Lions), Patrick Cripps (Carlton)

I/C: Nic Natinui (West Coast), Alex Sexton (Gold Coast), Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (Essendon), Luke Breust (Hawthorn), Liam Jones (Carlton), Seb Ross (St Kilda)

Emg: Jarrod Witts (Gold Coast), Jack Darling (West Coast), Connor Rozee (Port Adelaide)

https://www.zerohanger.com/predicting-the-two-afl-state-of-origin-teams-38259/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dion Prestia wants to play in State of Origin game (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2020, 05:43:29 PM »
Why Prestia has been nagging Hardwick

Chris Cavanagh
Herald Sun
15 Feb 2020

Every time Dion Prestia has bumped into Damien Hardwick during the past month, he’s asked the same question.

“C’mon, am I going to get picked?”

He’s not talking Round 1, rather the AFL’s State of Origin for Bushfire Relief match on February 28.

As the premier’s reigning best-and-fairest, the Richmond midfielder ­reckons he should be a shoo-in to be one of the three Tigers ­required for the Victorian team.

But Hardwick, the Victorian coach, has refused to give him any guarantees.

“I thought I was in with a chance with Dimma being coach and all,” Prestia said.

“Every time I walk past him I always say, ‘C’mon, am I going to get picked?’ You can only have three players from each team and he’s got a few good ones to pick from (at Richmond) that might get picked ahead of me.

“I think I should get first dibs, really. Dustin (Martin) will probably get picked before me. Maybe Jack (Riewoldt) can have the week off and play in Wangaratta (for a pre-season match), though.

“But if I get asked to I will absolutely want to jump at that opportunity.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/dion-prestia-is-ready-to-go-for-2020-and-wants-to-play-in-state-of-origin-game/news-story/48cdfa592d913e2c5af520584185d003

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Some clubs will have up to five players in the Bushfire appeal match (H-Sun)
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2020, 02:57:47 AM »
The AFL is now allowing up to 5 players from a single club to play in this S.O.O. game.

High five: AFL eyes star Giants for bushfire relief game

Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
February 17, 2020

Grand Finalists Richmond and GWS have thrown open their full complement of stars for the Bushfire relief game as the league ponders whether it can return the concept to an annual event.

Clubs will be told on Tuesday which players will be chosen but like Richmond, the Giants are happy for more than three players to take part.

Initially clubs were told only three per club would be selected with squads of 27 per side for the Victoria v All Stars clash on February 28.

But the league has accepted the overtures from star-studded sides happy to provide more players if needed given clubs will already be playing Marsh Community Series games at the same time.

At least one player from each team will play in the concept but some clubs will have up to five.

GWS football boss Jason McCartney said the Giants were fully behind the Bushfire relief game given its timing on the football calendar.

“There were loose guidelines around three players being available but with Damien Hardwick coaching he is happy to have more players playing at Richmond. We are really comfortable with our guys playing even if it ends up at four or five,” he said yesterday.

“You want the guys ideally prepared to play for the season and they need a couple of hit-outs. If they don’t play in that game it’s our first Marsh Community Series game against Sydney on Saturday.

“To be honest the guys are all super keen to play because of the bushfire relief charity but also because it’s State-of-Origin.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gws/gws-giants-prepared-for-five-stars-to-feature-in-afls-bushfire-relief-match/news-story/78ba71bdb1bd4f791045ed9e6913f242

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
I’m in: Dusty to don Big V for bushfire relief match (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2020, 03:05:00 AM »

I’m in: Dusty to don Big V for bushfire relief match

Jay Clark
Herald Sun
February 17, 2020

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin will take centre stage in next Friday night’s State of Origin clash after confirming he will play in the bushfire fundraiser.

The Herald Sun can reveal the Brownlow Medalist and dual premiership hero was the first player picked to lead Victoria into battle against the All-Stars in a near sold-out clash at Marvel Stadium on February 28.

He also unveiled the traditional navy blue and white ‘Big V’ jumper to be worn in the match.

Martin’s inclusion is a huge boost for the first State of Origin-style game in 12 years, with the biggest names in football including Collingwood’s Scott Pendlebury and Geelong’s Patrick Dangerfield (Victoria) and Fremantle’s Nat Fyfe and Carlton co-captain Patrick Cripps (All-Stars) tipped to lock horns under the roof.

Martin, arguably the game’s No. 1 player after winning a second Norm Smith medal win in last year’s Grand Final, said he would be honoured to pull on the ‘Big V’ to help raise vital funds for rural communities.

“I can’t imagine how hard it must be for the families and communities that have lost everything in the bushfires,” Martin told the Herald Sun.

“I’m really grateful to be able to play a small part along with the rest of the guys in helping rebuild these people’s lives and communities.”

Victoria coach Damien Hardwick and All-Stars boss John Longmire will release their squads at noon on Tuesday.

The duo face major headaches finalising their star-studded teams but the Herald Sun can confirm there has been a late selection criteria change to ensure the two sides are as strong as possible.

The two coaches will now be able to pick as many players as they like from each club after the AFL decided to scrap the previous three-player-per club limit.

It means there could be as many as five players from some of the top sides such as Richmond, Collingwood and Greater Western Sydney.

Martin is certain to be one of the headline acts on the night, with Tigers’ teammate Jack Riewoldt tipping the 28-year-old powerhouse to kick a big bag of goals in a forward role under lights.

All money raised will help communities devastated by the bushfire crisis last month.

The league and its 18 clubs have already pledged $2.5 million.

Martin called on footy fans to pack out Marvel Stadium next Friday night.

More than 40,000 tickets have already been sold.

“I hope we can get as many people along as possible and raise a lot of much-needed funds,” Martin said.

AFL football operations manager Steve Hocking said the selection criteria change would allow the “best of the best” to play next Friday night.

“We have been overwhelmed by the enthusiasm of the playing group and the support from all the clubs,” Hocking said.

“Once we sat down with the coaches to discuss the teams it was clear we had a responsibility to have the best players in the competition play and make the State of Origin match the competitive showcase for the fans.

“It is such an important event, our industry coming together, to raise valuable funds for those who have been affected by the bushfires, and recognise the sacrifice of the firefighters, emergency services and thousands of volunteers around the country.”

“The Friday night double header at Marvel will be a great representation of both our women’s and men’s competitions.”

Collingwood and Melbourne’s AFLW teams will clash first from 5.40pm.

The two State of Origin squads will train together for the first time next Thursday.

Only a small handful of stars have been declared unavailable for State of Origin selection due to injury.

They include Sydney swans’ champion Lance Franklin (knee), Geelong tough-nut Joel Selwood (hamstring), Max Gawn (knee) and Hawthorn’s Jaeger O’Meara (managed).

Meanwhile, Hardwick will be able to call Hawthorn premiership mastermind Alastair Clarkson as his right-hand man in Victoria’s coaching box next Friday night.

Clarkson has signed up as one of four assistant coaches to support Hardwick for the State of Origin stoush at Marvel Stadium.

The pair have remained close friends since Clarkson helped mentor Hardwick during their time at Hawthorn together from 2005 — 2009.

Robert Harvey (Collingwood), Adam Kingsley (Richmond) and Dean Solomon (Gold Coast) are Victoria’s other assistant coaches.

All-Stars’ coach John Longmire has enlisted Stuart Dew (Gold Coast), Michael Voss (Port Adelaide), Mark McVeigh (GWS), Joel Corey (Western Bulldogs) and Dean Cox (Sydney) as his lieutenants.

The game will be broadcast live on FoxFooty. Adult tickets from $20 at Ticketmaster.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/dustin-martin-commits-to-afl-bushfire-relief-match-with-full-squads-to-be-released-on-tuesday/news-story/016fe91d7e468d1cbe69020c9c237d14

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2020, 10:19:37 AM »
Just hope nobody gets hurt.

I imagine most of them will be going for a run around, not really looking to smash one another.

Would prefer if there was a max of 2 players per side to be honest.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Six Tigers to play in Bushfire Relief match: Ch 7
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2020, 07:06:31 PM »
Ch 7 news tonight said 6 Tigers will play.

Cotch to join Dusty in the Big V.

Riewoldt to play for the Allies.

No mention of who the other three are?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2020, 07:15:18 PM »
Here's the 7news report: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1229312781553266688

Richmond will have SIX players in State of Origin squads
, GWS also SIX. Two squads of 27 named tomorrow, 12 of the 54 took part in last year’s Grand Final. AFL originally planned to limit to THREE per club. Best of the best playing ... @7NewsMelbourne
https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL/status/1229312512727769088