Author Topic: Houli reported; suspension doubled from 2 to 4 weeks after AFL appeal [updated]  (Read 13429 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Houli reported - What will the MRP say?
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2017, 02:22:32 AM »
Should've just argued that he'd never touch lamb that isn't halal....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL tribunal: Bachar Houli suspended two games (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2017, 04:38:07 AM »
AFL tribunal: Bachar Houli suspended two games, Malcolm Turnbull and Waleed Aly character references

Lauren Wood
Herald Sun
28 June 2017

A CHARACTER reference from the Prime Minister wasn’t enough to get Richmond defender Bachar Houli’s striking charge altered at the AFL tribunal.

But Malcolm Turnbull’s remarks from Monday’s visit to Punt Rd did help reduce his sanction to two weeks.

Houli was charged with intentionally striking Carlton’s Jed Lamb with high impact and high contact.

Despite efforts to have the charge downgraded from intentional to careless, Richmond’s counsel was unsuccessful.

Houli had swung his arm back and struck Lamb in the head.

The young Blue concussed, was taken from the field by trainers and took no further part in Sunday’s game at the MCG.

Houli, who pleaded guilty to the impact and contact elements of the charge, was handed a two-match ban with the tribunal taking his character into account.

The AFL’s counsel had wanted a four-week ban.

The tribunal panel said it was “rare” that it came across someone of such character, a “unique” trait of Houli’s which Richmond’s counsel pushed throughout the hearing to have taken into consideration.

Houli is an AFL multicultural ambassador and is significantly involved in community programs, including the Bachar Houli Academy, a high performance football talent program for emerging teenage players who are from an Islamic background.

The Tigers’ counsel tendered remarks from Malcolm Turnbull - made during an appearance at with Houli at Punt Road on Monday - and lawyer and Gold Logie-winning TV personality Waleed Aly as part of its attempt to have Houli’s character and standing taken into account when the tribunal delivered its sanction.

“It’s very hard to think of a better example of the strength and resilience of our great multicultural society than the work that Bachar Houli does,” Turnbull said as part of the submission.

Aly, a Richmond supporter and prominent member of the Islamic community, wrote of Houli’s “humility and gentleness”.

He said Houli is “the first devout Muslim to play AFL … and bears the burden of a community that is desperately short of heroes and role models.”

“He delivers some of the most powerful and constructive messages that any athlete in recent times has been seen to offer young minds,” the Richmond counsel relayed of Aly’s statement.

“He does this in the face of racial abuse, which Aly has seen time and time again.”

Houli declined to speak to media when leaving the hearing – which took almost two hours.

When called to the stand to give his take on the incident, the defender said he was “absolutely shocked” to be in the situation.

“I’m really shocked. Absolutely shocked,” he told the tribunal.

“It’s something I’ve never, ever done in my life and I’ll never intend to do that in my life. It’s part of my practice in my religion – I’m a peaceful person. And I’ll continue to conduct myself in that manner.”

Houli said intentional violence should not occur on or off the field.

“It shouldn’t exist. It absolutely shouldn’t exist. You won’t get anywhere on the field … or off the field if you hold yourself to that kind of character,” he said.

The 162-game player maintained throughout that the suggestion he had intentionally struck Lamb was “false ... absolutely false”.

“I’ve never hit anyone in my life. Never at all,” Houli said.

“I was trying to knock his arm away so I could get a run to the ball … something that happens nearly every week as a running half-back.”

Houli said he prided himself on his run and strength.

He sought out Blues Bryce Gibbs and Marc Murphy immediately after the game before obtaining Lamb’s phone number from a Carlton assistant coach.

Immediately after the incident, Houli said he “felt really bad” and made contact with Lamb, who had scans on Monday but did not require further treatment.

The first time he realised he made high contact was “when I saw him on the floor”.

Houli said when he made the movement with his arm, he was looking at the play and “felt really bad” when he realised the outcome.

“The game is played so quick – to run full pelt and swing your arm back is not natural to do without turning your body. But I did not turn directly to face him, no,” he said.

Lamb was not called to give evidence.

Reporting umpire Matt Stevic told the hearing he was 35 metres away from the incident with a clear and unobstructed view and maintained that he believed Houli’s action to be careless rather than intentional.

Houli will now miss Richmond’s upcoming clashes with Port Adelaide and St Kilda.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/bachar-houli-receives-twogame-ban-for-striking-carltons-jed-lamb/news-story/d2e233da4893cd880a4093172fca5897

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond's Bachar Houli suspended for two matches for striking Carlton's Jed Lamb

Michael Gleeson
The Age
28 June 2017

A character reference from Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and media advocate Waleed Aly persuaded the AFL tribunal that Bachar Houli was of such character that they halved his penalty for knocking out Carlton's Jed Lamb.

Houli was banned for two weeks with the tribunal declaring "it is very rare that we come across an example of such a fine character ... and on that basis it's a two week penalty."

The AFL's counsel Andrew Woods argued for a four week ban which he said was the starting point for the tribunal in any case of an intentional strike with high impact to the head. Houli's lawyer MIchael Tovey QC argued that on account of his character Houli deserved to serve only two weeks.

Houli argued that he had carelessly struck Lamb but had not intended to strike him as he was a peaceful and religious person and was shocked to find himself charged with intentionally hurting another person. 

"I am really shocked (to be accused of intentional striking). It's something I have never ever done in my life and something I would never ever do. Its part of my practice in my religion. I am a peaceful person. I am proud of how I have conducted myself and handled myself and its something I teach to young boys and girls."

He said striking "shouldn't exist, you will get nowhere on the field and more importantly nowhere off the field if you hold yourself to that sort of character".

The tribunal received glowing references from Mr Turnbull, Dr Aly and AFL diversity manager Ali Fahour which were argued should mitigate the claim he had intended to strike.

Chairman Ross Howie admitted the character evidence was largely only relevant to the issue of penalty but could be used by the tribunal when deciding Houli's state of mind and whether he was the sort of person who on the balance of probabilities he intended to strike.

The tribunal accepted Houli was guilty of an intentional strike but after accepting the references, learning of the work he did in the Islamic community with his own academy and football league, they accepted he was of such fine character the penalty should be reduced.

Houli said he was "going for his arm" when he swung his arm back to get separation from Lamb as they ran from the contest and Houli was hoping to receive a handball further on in a chain of play. He was shocked to see Lamb on the ground.

"I felt really bad obviously seeing him on the floor, I was shocked to be quite honest. I felt really bad," Houli said..

Mr Howie said the charge was "intention to strike, there does not need to be an intention to strike to the head."

Mr Tovey QC had argued that there were exceptional and compelling circumstances in the case arguing Houli's character and exemplary record was proof he had not acted intentionally.

Mr Woods countered that "there is nothing exceptional nor compelling about having a clean record". Howie said his record was only relevant to a penalty.

It was argued whether the incident was behind the play - which has a greater likelihood of the charge being intentional - or in play.

Houli said that after the game he left his celebrating teammates to seek out Carlton leaders Mark Murphy and Bryce Gibbs to apologise and insist he had not intended to hit Lamb.

He also text Lamb after the game as soon as he could get his number so that he could apologise to him again and reassure him he had not meant to strike him.

Umpire Matt Stevic who laid the charge on the day said he categorised the incident as careless.

"I deemed it to be careless by reason that Houli was not looking at the player which he struck him," he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/richmonds-bachar-houli-guilty-of-intentionally-striking-carltons-jed-lamb-20170627-gwzv9t.html

Ruanaidh

Re: Houli reported & cops 2 weeks from Tribunal [updated]
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2017, 05:14:48 AM »
Waleed Aly and Turnbull using this fart in a bottle incident to go taqiyya full bore!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 06:51:40 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2017, 07:11:52 AM »
Now that that part is sorted can we please have some penalties placed on the Carlton FC for their fans racist anti-Islamic booing every time Houli got the ball.

A loss of draft picks would be fair

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2017, 09:08:20 AM »
This is what is really annoying about AFL.

Anyone could see it wasn't an intentional hit, he wasn't even facing Lamb, in fact if he swung and hit Lambs arm, no problems.

In fact Lamb was the protagonist, if he did not try to hang onto Houli, no problems.

It could be argued it was the umpires fault for not calling what was clearly a holding freekick, if they paid all free kicks. :lol

IMO it was an accident and get over it. No penalty.

This sort of stuff happens all the time, it is a game that encourages flat track bullies who cry when they get hurt.

Watching Cotchin run back to the centre square after a goal against Sydney, he was knocked to the ground three times. His restraint was amazing I thought....yet no free kick was paid in what was clearly a breach of the rules of the game and what I would consider to be immoral conduct :whistle

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2017, 09:11:23 AM »
Anyone think the dogs will appeal?
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2017, 11:23:47 AM »

Ruanaidh

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2017, 11:50:14 AM »
I just saw that the AFL is funding the 'Bachar Houli' Academy. A component of its charter is to impart Muslim Identity and 'Religious' studies.  :banghead. My first year back as a member in 4 years will be my last. I'll not be party to this treachery.

dwaino

« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2017, 12:41:13 PM »
Now that that part is sorted can we please have some penalties placed on the Carlton FC for their fans racist anti-Islamic booing every time Houli got the ball.

A loss of draft picks would be fair

I thought they were yelling 'boom'.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2017, 12:44:01 PM »

They have appealed.  That fat little private school hack that stuffen finally got the job after 3 attempts can GAGF

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2017, 01:24:26 PM »
The AFL is weighing up an appeal.

-------------------------------

An AFL spokesman said football operations manager Simon Lethlean would make a call on any appeal against the lenience of the decision, and could gather advice throughout the morning.

To successfully appeal Houli's ban, the AFL would have to establish the decision was so unreasonable that no Tribunal acting reasonably could have reached that decision having regard to the evidence.

An appeal would have to be lodged by midday on Wednesday.

It would be heard by three members of the Appeals Board, which consists of Peter O'Callaghan (chairman), Brian Collis QC (deputy chairman), Brian Bourke, Michael Green, Stephen Jurica and John Schultz.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-28/afl-weighing-up-appeal-on-houli-penalty

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2017, 01:26:25 PM »

They have appealed.  That fat little private school hack that stuffen finally got the job after 3 attempts can GAGF

done deal 4 or 3 weeks

bookmarked

what a farce. trail by media if thats what u call blokes like ralphy and campbell brown

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2017, 01:27:50 PM »
AFL match review panellist Nathan Burke hits out over character discount

The Age
28 June 2017

The AFL is considering whether to appeal the two-match suspension handed to Richmond's Bachar Houli.

Any appeal by the AFL's football operations manager Simon Lethlean must be lodged by 1200 (AEST) on Wednesday.

Houli was found guilty of striking Carlton's Jed Lamb in an incident assessed as intentional conduct with high impact to the head by the match review panel that left the Blues forward out cold on the MCG turf.

Despite dismissing Houli's attempt to argue the incident was careless instead of intentional conduct, the tribunal jury – David Neitz, Hamish McIntosh and Wayne Henwood – caused an outcry when it handed down the two-game sanction, citing his exemplary character.

References from Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull - via a transcript of a speech given at a function at Punt Road on Monday - and Monash University academic and Channel 10 presenter/Fairfax Media columnist Waleed Aly were a key part of the jury's penalty deliberations.

Much to the consternation of AFL match review panel member Nathan Burke.

"I would probably much prefer if you just looked purely at the incident and graded it on that," Burke told Fox Sports News.

"If you start bringing in 'this bloke's a good bloke, this bloke's not a good bloke', who are we to actually judge who is a good bloke and who isn't in the first place?

"And then what we end up with are disparate sentences. If somebody goes in next week and does exactly the same thing, but doesn't know Waleed Aly, doesn't know the Prime Minister, does that mean they get three or four weeks?

"That's potentially where the issue lies."

Former tribunal member Daniel Harford says Houli's ban is "absolutely, manifestly inadequate" and rubbing him out for six weeks could be considered a fair punishment.

He expects the AFL to appeal the sentence.

"You cannot have a situation with a player willingly, which was deemed by the tribunal, hitting someone ... with force enough to knock someone out cold, to serve a two-week suspension," Harford said on RSN radio on Wednesday.

"I don't care how good a bloke is Monday to Friday.

"It's no relevance to what he does on the field."

The case was referred directly to the tribunal under the MRP guidelines, but the final sanction is the same as it would have been if it had been assessed as careless conduct with high impact to the head - three games down to two with an early plea.

While appearing to get off lightly, there is also some chance that Richmond will appeal the verdict on Houli's behalf.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bachar-houli-ban-afl-match-review-panellist-nathan-burke-hits-out-over-character-discount-20170627-gwzzku.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Manifestly inadequate': AFL appeals Houli ban

THE AFL is appealing Bachar Houli's two-game suspension for striking Carlton's Jed Lamb on the grounds the sanction is "manifestly inadequate".

The AFL announced shortly after Wednesday's noon deadline that it had lodged an appeal.

"The AFL wishes to advise that general manager football operations Simon Lethlean today notified the AFL Appeal Board and the Richmond Football Club that the AFL would appeal the two-game suspension imposed on Richmond’s Bachar Houli for striking Carlton’s Jed Lamb during the first quarter of Sunday’s round 14 match at the MCG," the League said in a written statement.

"Mr Lethlean said the AFL had appealed the two-game suspension on the grounds the sanction imposed was manifestly inadequate."

The appeal will be heard on Thursday night at 5.30pm by three members of the Appeals Board, which consists of Peter O'Callaghan (chairman), Brian Collis QC (deputy chairman), Brian Bourke, Michael Green, Stephen Jurica and John Schultz.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-28/manifestly-inadequate-afl-appeals-houli-ban