Author Topic: Who is on the knife's edge this year? (afl site)  (Read 8559 times)

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
Re: Who is on the knife's edge this year? (afl site)
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2013, 12:31:33 PM »
Yep thats what ive been saying Vickery is the leading forward, not CHF.  Jack to me is such an all round player, he leads well, he jumps well and he crumbs well.  i just think we need to fix the role McGuane and Miller were playing. ie the player that blocks and clears the spece for the other 2

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2013, 12:37:38 PM »
They both may line up deep but TV definitely spends more time leading up the ground as the hitup target, Jack stays closer to goal a lot more. What claw is trying to get at (i think) is we need somebody who can be a better leadup/hitup target man. For me, this guy needs to be a running machine that can work over his opponent up the ground with multiple running patterns. Whether TV is the right man for this role, who knows? but this type of player is crucial to our fwd structure and might stop us bombing it inside 50 90% of the time.  I'd like to see Griff and Elton be given stints in this role at some stage.

I think Jay Schulz can play that role + add 3 goals a game. But I guess Ben Nason and Mitch Farmer are doing a good job so it doesn't really matter

Yep thats what ive been saying Vickery is the leading forward, not CHF.  Jack to me is such an all round player, he leads well, he jumps well and he crumbs well.  i just think we need to fix the role McGuane and Miller were playing. ie the player that blocks and clears the spece for the other 2

How about a 3rd tall who actually has an impact. A smart hit up forward that can convert and doesn't get in the better players way. I think I just described Aaron Edwards..............4 years ago

tony_montana

« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »

I dont think we're on the same page re leading player/chf. For mine TV plays CHF at times, probably a 50/50 split. IMO the modern day CHF is the Cloke/Darling/Kennedy type that burn opponents with long leads up the wings opening up space behind them. TV's role is to do this in a 50/50 split with the third tall, the rest of his time he sits deep with jack and plays as a dual leading FF or FP with Jack inside 50 and Miller/A.Edwards would be the hitup target up the ground

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2013, 12:50:43 PM »
Agree. We do play blokes at CHF, they're just poo at it

tony_montana

« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2013, 12:56:14 PM »
Agree. We do play blokes at CHF, they're just poo at it

yep, and the moment you find a dominator that can control the ball from the key distance of 60-90 out, you start having better delivery inside 50 making jacks job easier, right now we are bombing it in deep from 60-90 out bc we dont have a strong CHF regularly plucking them at that range.

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2013, 01:10:34 PM »
They both may line up deep but TV definitely spends more time leading up the ground as the hitup target, Jack stays closer to goal a lot more. What claw is trying to get at (i think) is we need somebody who can be a better leadup/hitup target man. For me, this guy needs to be a running machine that can work over his opponent up the ground with multiple running patterns. Whether TV is the right man for this role, who knows? but this type of player is crucial to our fwd structure and might stop us bombing it inside 50 90% of the time.  I'd like to see Griff and Elton be given stints in this role at some stage.

I think Jay Schulz can play that role + add 3 goals a game. But I guess Ben Nason and Mitch Farmer are doing a good job so it doesn't really matter

How about a 3rd tall who actually has an impact. A smart hit up forward that can convert and doesn't get in the better players way. I think I just described Aaron Edwards..............4 years ago

When i say blocking player it doesnt mean i think they're not an option if the ball comes in their direction.  But i do see there role predominantly to clear and block.

Its like having the 3rd wide receiver in NFL.  He's the 3rd one looked at as the play unfolds. But is used to block and confuse  cornerbacks as the better wide receiver runs his pattern.