Author Topic: Finals not on Tigers' radar - Wallace  (Read 574 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Finals not on Tigers' radar - Wallace
« on: June 06, 2006, 09:44:28 PM »
Finals not on Tigers' radar
6:01:03 PM Tue 6 June, 2006
Mark Rasmussen
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond coach Terry Wallace believes it is too early for his club to consider making the finals despite good signs that indicate the Tigers are on track.

Speaking at his weekly media conference on Tuesday, Wallace said much will depend on who wins the close games, referring not just to the Tigers, but all clubs in contention.

"I think it's too early for us to be saying we're a contender for the top eight or not. We've just got to try to win the winnable games," Wallace said

"The weekend was disappointing because there was an opportunity late in the fourth quarter and we didn't manage to seal the game.

"We've probably won most of our close finishes and have got over the line.

"Winning those close encounters, it's probably the difference between making a spot in the eight and not making a spot in the eight," he said.

With Richmond facing the Kangaroos and the Hawks in the next two weeks, conceivably the Tigers could go into the second half of the season in very good shape, but with interstate games coming against Port Adelaide and Sydney after the break, Wallace is keeping a cool head.

"Looking at our draw, we've still got a fairly tough draw ahead of us. We've got two games before the break and then we've still got a few interstate games to come," he said

With the ‘bump' back in the spotlight again after Tim Notting's hit on Blake Caracella which left the Collingwood with a fractured vertebra, Wallace believes that as long as it's fair, there will always be the room for the good old fashioned hip ‘n' shoulder.

"Like most people I think we should outlaw anything that's head high. I think most people believe the bump should stand if it's full body contact, but we must be careful of anything that's head high," he said.

With Cat Gary Ablett's bump on Eagle David Wirrpanda coming under scrutiny by the AFL tribunal, Wallace said he's baffled by what reaches and what doesn't reach the tribunal.

"I'm still surprised at some that do and some that don't every week," he said.

"We've had instances in the past few weeks that should come up and they haven't been looked at. That's just the circumstances of each and every week with the tribunal and the review committee," Wallace said.

Wallace sought to clarify with AFL umpires boss Jeff Gieschen several decisions from the Tigers game with Fremantle on Saturday night. While comfortable with the outcome, he was looking more for an explanation for his players than anything else.

"There was half a dozen instances in the game where we wanted clarification. We need to be able to go back to the players so that we can actually understand how we need to play the rule next time.

"I was comfortable with the outcome. I didn't have any issues. If we had been disappointed with it, we would have put in an official complaint with the umpires department, which we didn't do," he said.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=271812

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
Re: Finals not on Tigers' radar - Wallace
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 10:19:37 PM »
Straight down the line stuff IMO. I think its fairly obvious that the next two weeks will decide how much of a chance we are for the 8.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 10:20:54 PM »
even if we win the next 2 i think we'll still be struggling to rack up the 12 games we need OM.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 10:30:16 PM »
Wallace just being realistic and keeping a lid on things  :bow.

Roos - Winnable but we've said that about North games for the past 4 years.
Hawks - Winnable. No Crawford, Jacobs and possibly Croad. Terry please stick Polo on Buddy ;D
Pies - Tough although we have a good record against them.
Port - 50/50. Depends on their form. Never beaten them at Footy Park.
Melb - Tough
Sydney - Tough although we have a good record at the SCG.
Saints - 50/50. Depends on their form. If they get the best 22 on the park then it'll be Tough.
Bulldogs - 50/50.  Same as the Saints. Won't be 100 points this time around though.
Brissy - Winnable at the 'G.
Carlton - Winnable.
Essendon - Winnable lol.
Eagles - At the 'G makes it 50/50.

So we end up with 10 wins if we win all the winnable games. Then need to score another 3 wins to play finals.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd