Author Topic: Who's clogging your team's list? - Lyon  (Read 3544 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Who's clogging your team's list? - Lyon
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »
Agree on Howat and almost 100% agree on Hyde although he has played some good footy this year and kicked some important goals. I suppose if Howat was not suspended in rd 1 and missed 3 weeks then it would be Hyde in the firing line 100% as it seems that Cam and Hyde are fighting for the same possie in the side currently.
I would have agreed last year but this year Hyde has re-invented himself as a tagger and as a result has much more value to our list than he did before.  Barring a mishap or major form drop-off I reckon he is pretty safe and not a list clogger.

Yes - but is he better than Polo, Raines, Jackson etc. in that role.

I think not.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 01:17:52 AM »
Agree on Howat and almost 100% agree on Hyde although he has played some good footy this year and kicked some important goals. I suppose if Howat was not suspended in rd 1 and missed 3 weeks then it would be Hyde in the firing line 100% as it seems that Cam and Hyde are fighting for the same possie in the side currently.
I would have agreed last year but this year Hyde has re-invented himself as a tagger and as a result has much more value to our list than he did before.  Barring a mishap or major form drop-off I reckon he is pretty safe and not a list clogger.

I think not.
Maybe, maybe not, but Raines isn't a tagger and Polo and Jackson haven't been able to force their way back in.  I'm not convinced that tagging is where Polo's long term future lies and it was barely a season ago that Jackson was considered fair game for delisting by many.  He has since shown some capacity to tag well but I don't think by any means yet that he is a certainty to succeed long term.  At the moment I reckon Hyde is ahead of them, isn't in the pension age bracket, and has some value on our list.  But a week's a long time in footy as we all know.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 02:48:49 AM »

I think not.
Maybe, maybe not, but Raines isn't a tagger and Polo and Jackson haven't been able to force their way back in.  I'm not convinced that tagging is where Polo's long term future lies and it was barely a season ago that Jackson was considered fair game for delisting by many.  He has since shown some capacity to tag well but I don't think by any means yet that he is a certainty to succeed long term.  At the moment I reckon Hyde is ahead of them, isn't in the pension age bracket, and has some value on our list.  But a week's a long time in footy as we all know.

Where is Raines postion in the side? Backline seems almost full for smalls with Newman, McMahon & King in those spots. Raines can't kick well - can't carry players that can't kick in backline.

I think Wallace will want to ge Raines back into side, one of the fe players on the list with 50+ games, and still young. Might have to learn to tag.

Tigermonk

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 08:12:54 AM »
;D

take Tuck & Johnson out of the side & watch us get killed in the centre

Bowden deserves to be in the side after playing a backman role that no-one else could do, he took the challenge & now needs time to resettle into the new role as his a very damaging player in the forward line cause he knows how to make space & atract the ball & deliver it in close
Tiv & petts have had a wake up call & will produce now they know

I agree with you Tigermonk in that we need players to block, shepherd and put their bodies on the line to create space for our younger talent. In saying that though I think Tuck hasn't the skill or pace when he does get the ball to be cemented into our long term midfield future. Similiarly Johnson is declining in form as the years progress and may well retire at the end of the year.

If you look at my list you will see I had Johnson at number 5 because I think he still has much to offer in terms of leadership and the occasional excellent game, but he is no match winner.

At the moment we have no one to replace them in the blocking/shepherding role which is why they remain but I think someone like Connors, Jackson and even Cogs may take over this role as the year progresses and definately next year.

Stripes

Jackson would be the only person l think who could take over Johnson role
His got the strength which is the key & just has to learn to read the game & how to block with his strength
his also very quick in the first few important steps in the centre which is required for blocking

Tigermonk

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 08:25:33 AM »
l think the club is on the right track re-inventing players
players are being left at Coburg to learn how to compete for 4 quarters of solid football
Those who show above level every week will be the players who get promoted in the future while those who struggle will find out which way thier careers are heading
l'm sure the players have been told already where thier futures are at the club

bushranger

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 11:21:57 AM »
Why should we listen to a bloke like Lyon he's just the same as that Sheenan and that idiot Walls. All put out mindless dribble most of the time just so they can keep their names alive. And what make Lyon worse is that he's a Eddie PUPPET. What Eddie says goes.
Whats clogging up Lyon's mind is Eddie. This should be the title.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 04:10:48 PM »
;D

Bowden deserves to be in the side after playing a backman role that no-one else could do, he took the challenge & now needs time to resettle into the new role as his a very damaging player in the forward line cause he knows how to make space & atract the ball & deliver it in close

I agree with you Tigermonk in that we need players to block, shepherd and put their bodies on the line to create space for our younger talent. In saying that though I think Tuck hasn't the skill or pace when he does get the ball to be cemented into our long term midfield future. Similiarly Johnson is declining in form as the years progress and may well retire at the end of the year.

If you look at my list you will see I had Johnson at number 5 because I think he still has much to offer in terms of leadership and the occasional excellent game, but he is no match winner.

At the moment we have no one to replace them in the blocking/shepherding role which is why they remain but I think someone like Connors, Jackson and even Cogs may take over this role as the year progresses and definately next year.

Stripes

His got the strength which is the key & just has to learn to read the game & how to block with his strength
his also very quick in the first few important steps in the centre which is required for blocking

I can't see Jackson being top 10 in the league for touches like Johnson is currently and proven in past.

Tigermonk

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 11:11:15 AM »
;D

Stripes

I can't see Jackson being top 10 in the league for touches like Johnson is currently and proven in past.

Jackson has been used as a tagger most games he meant to stop his opponant getting the ball & block them out of the contest in the centre
you think Jackson cant do the job  ;D oh yeah,  but yet think Cogs can  :lol :lol :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »
I can think of a few others in the clogging category. Fringe players who have been on our list for 8 years it's time to go. 

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 04:17:18 PM »
I can think of a few others in the clogging category. Fringe players who have been on our list for 8 years it's time to go. 

well name them MT. put up those names ur referring to.

players are getting games for god knows what reason.
they get 20 useless touches and still get a game.

time to start dumping players from our list who cant play tough football.
malthouse has a bunch of players who are lets say not the best quality but they play for him.
understand?? they play for him. he turns average footballers into good ones.
leon davis example 1)
pathetic pettifer is 5% of the footballer he has become and how he gets a game is beyond me it really is.
we have players who play for their champion data stats and not their jumper. fact!!

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Tigermonk

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 04:44:13 PM »
haha & people say our drafts are better than Collingwood well HELLO

Thomas, Pendlebury, & others are kicking ass becoming stars
Roughhead, Franklin, Lewis, are the items

ours are becoming chip kickers & leather burnt footballers who freeze up going forward  :rollin

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2008, 08:31:22 PM »

Sorry to harp on it, this is not a dig at McMahon, he doesn't make the trades.

I find it staggering that we have a prized top twenty pick, Miller or Wallace or whoever is dying to offload it for something that will supposedly help our team.

A ruckman, we could do with another one of them, Cameron wood went for pick 14, Ben Hudson went for pick 30 and 38...

A key position player, we could always do with one of them if one was available.

No, what Richmond needs is a skinny flanker who played half the season in the VFL, a guy that we have plenty of his type already, this guy will help lead us to finals glory. Port Adelaide are interested, so let's get a little carried away and stitch up the deal before they get him.

So what happens today, we get smashed in the ruck, and with Richo playing wing we have a 19 year old KPP trying his best against some of the best defensive players in the league.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 04:23:14 PM »
I did. Who was drafted 8 years ago (2000) and are still bouncing b/w AFL and VFL - Hyde and Petts.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 04:46:23 PM »

Thomas, Pendlebury, & others are kicking ass becoming stars
Roughhead, Franklin, Lewis, are the items

ours are becoming chip kickers & leather burnt footballers who freeze up going forward  :rollin
Seniors players TM. If you have a decent core of senior players who make up the majority of your side then the youngsters are freed up. Foley and Lids are our two best mids (a 22 and 21 year old) with not much help around them when the likes of Tuck and Hyde are starting 3 mids  :help. Geez I wonder why the opposition coaches tag Axel or Lids. Hodge and Mitchell are the Hawks two best mids and they also have Bateman, Sewell, Crawford, Osbourne and Ladson before you even get to Lewis. Take a few out as happened on the weekend and they finally lose. Same at the Pies - Burns, O'Bree, Davis, Swan, both Shaws, Lockyer, Johnson cop the tags before Pendlebury and Thomas.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 10:17:13 PM »
I did. Who was drafted 8 years ago (2000) and are still bouncing b/w AFL and VFL - Hyde and Petts.

Bowden. Howatt is of the same age group.

Tuck, McMahon, King and co. have not been playing VFL but have been pretty average at times.